Scent Discrimination

ooops! I think I did leave out a couple of the important steps in my scent training programme.....galloping altzeimers is catching up fast!

Have no time to do it now but will get right on to it asap

annie and her boyz

I started scent work by first of getting a solid retrieve.

I then played with a stick with the dog for a while and then threw it into a pile of sticks in the bush. She then had to find the one with our scent on it. She quickly learnt to find her stick and it was a great game.

I then started with the articles and seeing as she already knew the stick game, she readily found the article with my scent. I never had to use tie downs.

I also used articles that had my scent and her saliva to start with to make it easy, then cut it back to only my scent.

Not sure if this is an ok method but it worked really well for us :laugh:

There was great artical I was directed too when I posted a topic like this a few months ago. It was Dog scouts something I will go look it up. Dogscouts

It was diffrent from what I had thought of doing it, the tie down way. Just quickly From the top of my head.

*Start with the Metal artical as this is the hardest to master

*Have your dog taking it in his mouth, then picking it up, then fetching it. (Using methods used in any retrival exersize)

*Once he is Fetching the artical put down a decoy artical far away from where you place the correct artical.

*When the right one is fetched praise when the wrong one ignor and try again.

*As the dog gets better move the decoy artical closer and closer.

Once he can do it with the metal he shoul be able to do the same with the others, however you may have to start from the start with each new one but the steps will progress faster.

Edited by LilBailey