Purely Positive Results

The only people I know who have successful highly trained, purely positive dogs is SARDA.

The only other person,.......mind you it was via a book (of all things) is Susan Garrett with Buzz in Shaping for Success. But frankly, from what I have read and been told, she did not allow Buzz much freedom until he was 2 years of age.

Could those who train pure accepted positive methods, name the titles they have achieved?

As I type it seems so distasteful to ask for titles, but I feel it is necessary to gauge the level obtained.

Thankyou.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is going to turn into a positive thread bashing I will not but if it will remain civil I am happy to.

Ok I have just trained the 1 dog so far.

Titles obtained to date (for convenience sake I have listed the highest title obtained)

- CDX (and CD both obtained in straight number of trials i.e. 3 passes from 3 trials, CD 4 passes from 4 trials)

- ADX

- JDX (3/7th JDM)

- GD

- SPD

Ok so my results aren't quite in the calibre of some of the others but if you head over West you will count multiple Obedience Champions trained totally using positives methods along with multi-titled agiliity dogs. In fact as I have said in other threads you would be hard pressed to find an Obedience Champion over in WA who has not been trained using totally positives.

We are currently training for UD.

Edited by ness

Can I get back to you in a couple of years. :thumbsup:

I have gone positive, well as positive as you can be IMO with my new pup and so far I am very happy she is only ten months old. She is a Koolie, and I believe they are pretty easy to get along with.

Oh yes we hope to get as far as a UDX title to (but that isn't quite as realistic as a UD title at this given moment).

Good for you Ness.

You must have a lovely dog with excellent motivation.

Obedience can be a bit of drag for a dog. Your timing and consistency must also be grand.

ROFL you got to be kidding. Its certainly not been an easy battle (I omitted the fact that this same dog will be 7 this year and only just got her ADX 2 weekends ago - but has since got another 2 passes both with first places).

Ness is a very whats in it for her dog. Its been a battle but I think we have got there now. Mostly I found out was because the way I was using positives wasn't the most correct way. Reading and trying to do it by yourself is one thing but being able to see it done properly is another.

CDX took longer then I care to remember. UD well its all come together rather quickly (especially since its my first dog and she didn't have solid foundations so I have had to work on building those again).

What is your definition of purely positive?

Good question!!!! No physical corrections.

Ever?

Not being picky .... just clarifying. :)

Won't be rude and stick my tongue out or anything ...... :thumbsup:

obedience isnt a drag unless you make it one and not just working dogs enjoy it actually conor is my first working dog breed

Isnt it amazing how we keep coming back to teh same old argumanet with the same old epople on purely positive

no physical correction and the only verbal on is a NRM no yelling no etc

cant think what else but i think that gives you an idea with out getting nit picky and trying to find an argument

I try not to use any physical or verbal corrections. Sometimes I use verbal but it is more of my bad habit than good training I believe. The dogs are so heavily rewarded they really try to please you all the time.

I was never going to correct my pup until one day she sprung on to the kitchen bench, I put her back on the ground and she did it again and again. The third time she got a Ah Ah and a tap on the nose but that is only physical correction so far. Probably if I was a better trainer I could of used a better method but I can live with it and it hasn't seemed to hurt her and she stays off the benches.

Isnt it amazing how we keep coming back to teh same old argumanet with the same old epople on purely positive

no physical correction and the only verbal on is a NRM no yelling no etc

So far we are all being civil. :thumbsup: