Advantage Pricing

If you're in the lucky position of being able to source your chemicals elsewhere well that's fine, unfortunately I'm not able to do this and your average pet owner can't do it either. I am fully aware that we all get ripped off and that most manufactured products cost far more than the actual ingredients, but unfortunately there's not much we can do about it. However what we can do is try to ensure that we find the cheapest prices for these products and if they're half the price on the net that's where I'll buy them and anyone with any sense will do the same.

Obtaining many of these items is not as difficult as you might think. Many are available over the counter, it's just a matter of knowing what to buy. This can take a bit of research. Worm pastes are just one example.

But the point remains that the manufacturers have a huge markup on some products. For example, the chemical used in a popular flea control is sold as other products for the equivalent of 30cents per dog dose. And they are still making money on the product as that is a retail over the counter price, but for bulk (you have to buy $300 worth at a time). It will cost you $1.50 per dose if you buy smaller amounts. I think it's more like $6 or more for the 'dog' product per dose.

And sure, I'm all for buying cheap on the net. My only comment was that the pet shop rip off is mild compared to the manufacturer rip off. :)

BTW - Look at tick control as well. Dog dip costs 4 times as much as sheep dip, even though its the same stuff :clap:

If you're in the lucky position of being able to source your chemicals elsewhere well that's fine, unfortunately I'm not able to do this and your average pet owner can't do it either. I am fully aware that we all get ripped off and that most manufactured products cost far more than the actual ingredients, but unfortunately there's not much we can do about it. However what we can do is try to ensure that we find the cheapest prices for these products and if they're half the price on the net that's where I'll buy them and anyone with any sense will do the same.

Obtaining many of these items is not as difficult as you might think. Many are available over the counter, it's just a matter of knowing what to buy. This can take a bit of research. Worm pastes are just one example.

But the point remains that the manufacturers have a huge markup on some products. For example, the chemical used in a popular flea control is sold as other products for the equivalent of 30cents per dog dose. And they are still making money on the product as that is a retail over the counter price, but for bulk (you have to buy $300 worth at a time). It will cost you $1.50 per dose if you buy smaller amounts. I think it's more like $6 or more for the 'dog' product per dose.

And sure, I'm all for buying cheap on the net. My only comment was that the pet shop rip off is mild compared to the manufacturer rip off. :)

BTW - Look at tick control as well. Dog dip costs 4 times as much as sheep dip, even though its the same stuff :clap:

so tell us where and how!!

what is "dip"?

well people seem to think they only place you can buy these types of things from is a vet. and actually i think the makers of the product have some hang ups about other places selling it... they think you need a uni cert to be able to understand and explain to clients how flea treatments and worming products work :)

I emailed the makers of Advantix asking them if they could send me out brouchers on the advantix as i can purchase it from my wholesaler and was going to sell it to clients in my dog wash business.They emailed me back saying sorry,it's only sold through vets :clap:

I'm like Hello,i just told you i can purchase it and just wanted the brouchers to hand out

I dont go to the companies directly, I just go to my wholesaler and sell it onto my clients.

Just ignore them, :clap: If they dont give you brochures your wholesaler should have some or maybe you can get them off the internet.

Cheers

Edited by BC Lover

PM me

as for dip, we are in the middle of a cattle property and ticks are a big issue, so we need heavy duty tick control. Usually diazinon in the hydrobath.

Completely off topic - just noticed you were from Kuttabul - do you still have that amazing Anzac Day dawn ceremony up there? Blew me away when I was there! Well, the ceremony and all the traditional rum and milks afterwards :rolleyes: Cute pub too...

PricelessPets is actually run from a vet surgery.

I also believe that most petstores can't actually buy from Bayer etc direct and so have to buy them from those vets that allow them to - at a price of course.

Kitkat... there are several wholesalers/distributors that carry the pharmacy lines and sell into retail stores. It simply is a case of having an account with them and then negotiating the best price. If you are lucky enough to buy from an onselling vet, it can be a lot cheaper than through the distributors. That's my experience only of course. :confused:

I just got 6 months supply of Advantage for Barker, Mitchi and Hunta it cost me $198.00 for 2 x 6month packs.

Then i saw a web site that i could have got the 2 packs for $60.00 in total.

I certainly will not be buying from my vet again. Not when i can save $140.00 on it.

No way no how.

I buy my flea treatments for my dogs with my vet $40 for a six pack of large dogs (advantage) and $1 a worm tablet for ten kilograms. I told him to match the price from the other places otherwise I would buy from them and he did a four pack of advantage large dogs is $26 cheap as chips. I have a wonderful vet.... he is just brilliant.

And sure, I'm all for buying cheap on the net. My only comment was that the pet shop rip off is mild compared to the manufacturer rip off. :thumbsup:

BTW - Look at tick control as well. Dog dip costs 4 times as much as sheep dip, even though its the same stuff :laugh:

While I understand how it can work out a lot cheaper to be using chemicals in this way, I think a warning should be given.

If a product is used in a way other than described on the label, there is no come back at all if the dog suffers a reaction, gets ill or dies as a result of using that product.

People such as groomers or commercial kennel owners need to be aware of this, as they will be at fault should a problem occur with a client's dog.

The other concern is that if you are using a product labelled for agricultural use on a dog, the product may be a lot more concentrated and so it is crucial that the dosage is calculated correctly. With some products, if more than one single drop is used on a dog, the dog can suffer permanent damage.

I brought a 6 pack of Advantix from my local pet shop (they don't sell animals) a few weeks ago - I paid $78 ... only to go online and find the same item for $20 less.

Now I like to support my local vet and pet shop but the price difference is far too much. I now only buy from them when I really need the item and can't wait for delivery.

I brought my last lot of Advantix from the Petecular at the RNA and got it for just under $50. I am sure they don't sell it at a loss.

Edited by Tilly

While I understand how it can work out a lot cheaper to be using chemicals in this way, I think a warning should be given.

If a product is used in a way other than described on the label, there is no come back at all if the dog suffers a reaction, gets ill or dies as a result of using that product.

People such as groomers or commercial kennel owners need to be aware of this, as they will be at fault should a problem occur with a client's dog.

The other concern is that if you are using a product labelled for agricultural use on a dog, the product may be a lot more concentrated and so it is crucial that the dosage is calculated correctly. With some products, if more than one single drop is used on a dog, the dog can suffer permanent damage.

Which is exactly why I don't get on here and say 'use product X' instead. There are certainly issues.

But the point remains. Dog owners are being ripped off as these chemicals are being sold at a very very very inflated price :thumbsup:

Farmers use horse wormer on their dogs all the time. It's at their own risk, of course.

Completely off topic - just noticed you were from Kuttabul - do you still have that amazing Anzac Day dawn ceremony up there? Blew me away when I was there! Well, the ceremony and all the traditional rum and milks afterwards :thumbsup: Cute pub too...

Don't know, I'll have to ask :laugh: And I don't get to the pub much. It's about 15-20km away from my house :laugh:

Shopping for anything all has the same rules.. shop around.

I agree about the price of these kinds of products at Vets. Vets are there primarily to treat animals... not to play pet product supply store.

Incidentally, my Vet sells Dog Rocks cheaper then I can buy them anywhere else but that is about it.

From someone who knows a few vets fairly well, the markup on such products all goes towards maintaining the facility and services. Fair enough if the markup is massive, but once a source of income is reduced for the vet, who still has to pay the same rent, insurance, staff wages, workers compensation, xray machine maintenance, anaesthetic machine maintenance etc etc etc, they'll have to make up the shortfall elsewhere. You'll find your consultation fee may go up, and certainly medical and surgical care will increase. They have to pay their expenses somehow.

Rosie

From someone who knows a few vets fairly well, the markup on such products all goes towards maintaining the facility and services. Fair enough if the markup is massive, but once a source of income is reduced for the vet, who still has to pay the same rent, insurance, staff wages, workers compensation, xray machine maintenance, anaesthetic machine maintenance etc etc etc, they'll have to make up the shortfall elsewhere. You'll find your consultation fee may go up, and certainly medical and surgical care will increase. They have to pay their expenses somehow.

Rosie

Vets make an absolute fortune giving annual vaccinations and check ups, the exorbitant cost of these services would more than adequately compensate for any drop off in the sales of dog care products. I don't buy this argument at all I'm afraid.