Herding Lessons

Hi

I have a friend who is interested in teaching her kelpiexBC to herd when she is old enough. Could someone please tell me where the closest place to Albury is to teach her these skills and contact details of the trainer?

TIA

cheers

M-J

Hi

I have a friend who is interested in teaching her kelpiexBC to herd when she is old enough. Could someone please tell me where the closest place to Albury is to teach her these skills and contact details of the trainer?

TIA

cheers

M-J

Hi Tia - the only person I know down Albury way is Gordon McMaster Wyreema Kelpie Stud, Weir Park Narrandera NSW 2700 Ph 02 6959 3310, Fax 02 6959 3301. I don't know if he would help?

Thanks Silvertravis. I will pass this info on. I find it ironic that people in the city have easier access to this type of training than people who live in the country. I have quite a few friends who have working dogs but they don't give lessons:( Pity cos one friend in particular has wonderful working dogs and all her dogs have been good, so to me that is saying something about her skill.

cheers

M-J

There is a list of people who help with training sheepdogs in the Working Kelpie Council newsletter. There may be someone on the list near Albury. I cant find the current newsletter, maybe someone else has it or you could contact the WKC for more info.

I find it ironic that people in the city have easier access to this type of training than people who live in the country.

I wish. We travel a long way to train and for the best trainer we travel 4 hours to work with.

m-j - there is no-one much around here, we've looked around for ourselves as well.

There is Deb Kelly, who is near Yass - but that's a 3 hour drive away. We are planning to travel to Deb around once a month when Molly is old enough to start having lessons.

Darn it m-j - I thought you were saying there WERE herding lessons around Albury. Great information to pass on to people who adopt some of our working mixes.

BTW - can't come tomorrow night - teenager daughter has invited my parents over for dinner to meet her new puppy so I'll have to be home to actually cook it :laugh: .

Thanks Silvertravis. I will pass this info on. I find it ironic that people in the city have easier access to this type of training than people who live in the country. I have quite a few friends who have working dogs but they don't give lessons:( Pity cos one friend in particular has wonderful working dogs and all her dogs have been good, so to me that is saying something about her skill.

cheers

M-J

I totally understand why your friend won't give lesson - we no longer help people either, except for those who buy puppies from us and live close enough - simply as your friend would know, to truly train a dog for work in the early stages the dog needs to be worked four to five times per week and twice a day during that period.

I have a pup with me at the moment we are trianing - her owners are a five hour drive away, however, they have left the pup with us for 10 to 12 months so she can be fully trained for paddock work - not everyone is willing to do this, it is the best option though if you can't get access to a trainer on a regular basis :))

Good luck to your friend I hope she can find someone to help.

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

Jesomil:

Are you herding with that little pup you had at the K9 workshop at LL's place? Congrats to you for being so dedicated to your sport ie travelling. Jade and I go to Melbourne 4 hrs if we don't get lost :) , but we are also very lucky our trainer (sardog) does come up to us also, in fact she and her hubby have come to us more than the other way around so far, for which I'm eternally grateful.

Allerzeit:

Same congrats to you. How is the beautiful Enya? Deb Kelly, does she have Blue Moon BC's or something like that?

Trisven 13:

No worries, it looks like it might rain anyway. I hope your daughters new baby settles in well, looking forward to seeing her one day.

Silvertravis:

Yes when I asked if my friend might be interested, she just looked at me and said "and when am I supposed to fit that in" :p I can appreciate it would take a lot of time. Do you trial at Henty field days? I go every year and usually sit there for about 6 hours or so watching. I totally admire the guts of those dogs, even after they get knocked around by the sheep who are alot heavier and stronger than themselves they just dust themselves off (so to speak) and keep going.

Perrys mum:

Thank you that would be great if you could find out for me, Wagga is close.

cheers

M-J

Hi m-j,

I cant believe you remember us from the K9 workshop 2 years ago at LL's place. Yes that is the same pup. He has grown up to be better than i could have imagined. All the travel is well worth it as we all have so much fun. We are thinking of buying another car that is better set up for all the travelling to training and trials etc. We are mad :)

Hi m-j :p

Enya says to send you licks :) You'll have to meet her two kids one day - now THEY are a handful :rofl:

Deb - yes, she is Blue Moon. Deb recommended Molly's breeder to us, so we will spend some time with Deb when Molly is older :laugh:

Hi

Jesomil:

Yep certainly do. Ok so we are mad but happy :thumbsup: First the car ...next???? Dog sports they are so infectious

Allerzeit:

I can't believe a lovely girl like Enya would produce a couple of handfuls, they are very cute tho :rofl: Are you going to Albury in May? I might get to see them then????

Coolibah Coolies:

Thanks that website was very helpful. Found one phone no that may be just up the road, hopefully and a couple that are just a little bit further, fantastic.

cheers

M-J

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

Silvertravis:

Yes when I asked if my friend might be interested, she just looked at me and said "and when am I supposed to fit that in" :thumbsup: I can appreciate it would take a lot of time. Do you trial at Henty field days? I go every year and usually sit there for about 6 hours or so watching. I totally admire the guts of those dogs, even after they get knocked around by the sheep who are alot heavier and stronger than themselves they just dust themselves off (so to speak) and keep going.

Hi MJ,

No don't make it to Henty, or we could have caught up and said hello. We only three sheep trial - next trial is Jean Moirs in Gippsland (which is a 3 hour drive for us) - folowed by the Captain Payne at Hamilton, then off to NSW for the Deniliquin Trial, followed by Echuca and then back to NSW for Cressy (I am secretary of the Cressy trial) - we also have a few of the weekend WSDFTSA Field trials at Freshwater Creek in-between - so that keeps us out of trouble for a while.

It takes a stack of time and dedication to train a dog to trial standard - work standard is a little different as you don't need all the polish - plus the other issue is a lot of people know nothing about stock and moving it - so not only do you have to train the dog you have to train the owner (and some people never develop stock sense) - and not every dog has the talent to be a trail dog - and when you tell people the dog is not talented enough for trialling they get all upset - So it all just gets to difficult to try and help people.

Good luck

Thanks Perry's mum. My friend just wants a dog that will be useful on their farm, so trialling isn't what she is interested in, but I appreciate you finding that out for me anyway.

cheers

M-J