Private Instructors

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks leo are you talking about sarah shes lovely shame we lost her t the kiwis.

I agree i will give you constructive criticism but i also think you need to hear when your doing well we often get so caught up in what we cant do or are struggling with we dont see how far we have come ive sen ness and shoey in the early stages and again now ive seen how far you have come and think you should get a pat on the back for it

thanks leo are you talking about sarah shes lovely shame we lost her t the kiwis.

Yep - that Sarah - ok - i'm losing who I have and haven't met - so have I met you before WMR? LOL. No fair that Sarah has gone to NZ :):o I need my training buddy back :laugh:

no i dont think we'v met i only know a couple of aussie people sarah another girl i met a sarahs talk at dandenong but she hd a bubby so i dont think thast you and a girl and a guy at westerport umm andrew and jacqui.

connor adores aussies he thinks they area grown up him him and jacquis dog make a cute couple they have very similar markings and i keep saying they are totally gay and in love

no i dont think we'v met i only know a couple of aussie people sarah another girl i met a sarahs talk at dandenong but she hd a bubby so i dont think thast you and a girl and a guy at westerport umm andrew and jacqui.

connor adores aussies he thinks they area grown up him him and jacquis dog make a cute couple they have very similar markings and i keep saying they are totally gay and in love

:laugh::) I know the one from Sarah's talk - she has the same name as me :cheer:. 'nother online buddy - although I do see her a lot in person also :party:. don't know the one at westernport.

LOL - I love my aussies - actually I think i'm obsessed..... if ya listen really carefully you would probably hear most of DOL saying ..... "ummm.... DUH" :o:birthday:

Oh Wow, has she moved to NZ?? What a shame. I met up with her a few times. She was great !!

ETA We met up to walk the dogs, not to train although we did have a few great discussions on clicker training.

Edited by jesomil

Oh Wow, has she moved to NZ?? What a shame. I met up with her a few times. She was great !!

ETA We met up to walk the dogs, not to train although we did have a few great discussions on clicker training.

LOL - yep thats her - we tried to go walking once a week with the mutts and get some training in there also :laugh:

WHAT a small world :):o

How many people here use a private instructor for their choice of dog sport? I always find that one-on-one instruction is so much better than the school obedience classes. Dog school is great for getting the dogs used to distractions etc.

From riding horses I am used to having the private lessons. I don't notice many dog people doing this though. Or do you just not mention it?

I had some one-on-one instruction on the weekend at a club comp and the judge picked up so much stuff and gave me so many good hints.

Also if anyone knows any good instructors can they let me know please! I'm in the Yarra Valley, Vic. PM me if you don't want to put the details here.

Smiling, at the memories of having riding lessons as well. Dressage, show jumping, and cross country. Riding after work at indoor arenas, especially during winter, and waiting waiting waiting till the horse (or horses) I owned, dried enough to place a rug on again. After a few good falls!!!! Dogs are much easier and certainly cheaper.

That being said, I think it is easier and quicker, to have private lessons with a trainer, or in a small group, which will allow rest time between drills/exercises. Choose the best expert you can, or travel or beg overseas trainers to visit.

Regarding the horse lessons often a novice was loaned a well educated horse, and learning was easier. Maybe the same would be applicable with a well trained dog, so the handler can concentrate on themselves and learn how to "dance" or as I think when observing great dogs, ballet.

Oh yes its amazing how a well trained dog helps :confused: . Gina let me do a bit of heelwork with one of her standard poodles when I was over in WA and it was a good learning experience. When you don't have to concentrate on the dog its much easier - apparently I had a much better sense of rythmn and my turns were a lot smoother and less jerky then when I handled Ness.

I also got to do some heelwork with two of Sandi's NSDTR's - Blaize and Scoota. That was a lot of fun as they are both very pushy workers and I thought Ness was pushy. They took pushy to a new level - but pushy in a good way. Gave me a much better feeling for what I needed to do to improve Ness and what I was aiming for in the long run.

Edited by ness

Good for you Ness.

My dogs have only ever been trained or handled (well......except one who returned to Australia), but I allow trusted friends, from time to time to practice with mine. The dogs take a while to become adjusted (distance casting being a problem as I tend to hand signal while others may vocal cue as well - as cast) but it has been interesting all the same.

I will never forget years ago, after a retrieving trial, and my first dedicated "games" dog, saw a fellow walking past with a gun. My dog did not give me a backward glance, while she heeled beside him. Fickle dogs. There have been other funny instances also.

Edited by Lablover

I think that as trainers, its important that we don't get so competitive and caught up that we miss out on imparting knowledge to other people. I have the opposite problem and have to check myself sometimes when i really want to give advice or assist and the person is not so receptive! As trainers we have to mould and adjust the way we teach and impart knowledge- every trainer acknowledges that dogs are different but we also need to acknowledge that handlers are different.

I have some clients that i can push hard and be very direct with (thats how they learn and they love it) and some clients that i baby step to begin with to build their confidence. Some clients love to have a joke and can laugh at themselves, others can't- there's nothing wrong with either personality type- its just different and we need to adjust accordingly.

I was lucky enough to handle a friends Alaskan Mal (in Perth actually) when i first started more serious training and he taught me an awful lot. I don't remember what titles he had but he had plenty- both obedience, agility and showing. I consider myself very privilieged to have known and been allowed to work with him on occasion. He passed away a few years ago :confused:

How many people here use a private instructor for their choice of dog sport?

Definitely, as much as I can, both in agility & in herding.

I try to learn as much as I can from as many people as I can & then take bits & pieces from each of them to come up with my training plans & goals. Having one on one or smaller classes gives me the flexibility to change my lesson plan mid way through if I need to. The most valuable lessons I have learned in dog training so far have been in a one on one situation & have not always followed a set structure. I also like to think outside the square and am currently meeting with someone for agility who has a lot less experience in agility than I do, but who is an excellent dog trainer. Our plan is to leverage off each other & share our strengths & knowledge in a mutual gain situation.

I also have no problem going to someone for lessons who is at a similar level to what I am. There are always things they might do better or tips that they have learnt & can pass on.

I train one on one with a instructor for herding, as for obed well i am an instructor that does one on one training sessions for basic obed, behaviour problems and trial training for new trailers.

I my self have not trained passed Novice so i only do training sessions with people about to start trailing or who want to fix certain problems.

I mainly do puppy education classes and basic obedience lessons for new dog owners.

I really would like to find out if there are any instructors doing one on one trail training for higher levels, thats not just at dog club and do charge a fee for there service????

I find this kind of training priceless.

when i get a chance to go in the ring and have one on one with an instructor at obed club, that myself and Cooper learn more, than just in normal class.