A Brag For Me Too...

I just needed to share this small success with everyone, especially since no-one will ever get to see it

I had to teach a pug to retrieve. "So what" I hear you all say! Well just to give you an indication of what I was up against...

This dog has absolutely no interest in toys whatsoever, what's more he's never put anything (other than food) in his mouth. And of course as we all know, pugs are not retrieving dogs (even though I'm sure there are some out there who do).

Anyway, after about 7 days (total training time) over a span of 3 weeks of working on this and slowly building up his interest to the small rope toy (using food of course), he is finally retrieving the item. :laugh:

I almost cried when he finally brought the object to me and dropped it at my feet. I jumped up and down like a mad woman.

I have taught many dogs to retrieve items in my years as a trainer, but all of these have been either dogs with a natural inclination to retrieve or dogs with some form of toy drive. This has certainly been an experience I will never forget - I feel invicible now...I think I might try my hand at training a cat :laugh:

:) Yay!!!!!! Knew you could do it, Kelpie-i !!!!! Well done.

Whispers: WHY won't we get to see it ?????? :laugh: ;)

Did you record the event for prosperity? Do you need to, or will he attempt this again?

Did you record the event for prosperity? Do you need to, or will he attempt this again?

:) No, didn't get to record it unfortunately. It was supposed to be one the of the skills for the program but unfortunately it has been cut short so no-one will ever get to see it ;)

Shame really when so much work went into it....oh well dem's the breaks.

I'll have to endeavour to video tape it if I ever see him again :laugh:

I'm surprised you survived the somewhat squishy aftermath after seeing his owner's reaction to him completing the other skills you have taught

Let me tell you Haven that having an ex-footballer tackle you like that ain't gentle!!!

LOL nice work...i know how hard it can be getting a pug to fetch...i finally taught fergus to now we need to focus on him bring it back to me right now he thinks its funnier to run around me.....but better than sam my lab x poodle he hates retreiving ANYTHING...have been working on it for months and he wil run after what ever i throw then just keep running or roll on it...hes such an embarasment at training...Gotta love it!!!

I recorded Tia learning to retrieve and the final one.

Part 1

Part 2

Congrats, now you will have to train the pug to put a hoop on a stick. That is a challenge. Leopuppy from this board can do it to, under tricks in video section. Retrieving is a great start to lots of tricks such as the sock trick, retrieve a wagon, retrieve another dog etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORZVcGQ_WQ

• 4 months later...

Wow Yarrowfell, I can't believe you found this thread...seems like ages ago.

I simply started by gaining his interest in the rope toy with the help of food (since this is the only thing he drove for). I tied a piece of chicken around the rope and used a clicker to mark and treat each time he showed an interest. The process was slow but eventually he learned to pick up the rope without the food tied to it. The next step was for him to keep the rope toy in his mouth for longer periods of time, again clicking and treating for this. The last step was for him to start to bring it towards me using the same technique.

It was a case of 90% free shaping, 5% guiding and 5% compulsion.

Good luck.

BTW, for those of you who are interested, the same pug is coming over for a few weeks into boarding so it will be interesting to see if he remembers any of it. Will take the video camera this time - just in case!! :confused:

Wow Yarrowfell, I can't believe you found this thread...seems like ages ago.

I did a search on Pugs :thumbsup: .

One quick question. You start with a toy? At what stage would you introduce a formal dumbell? I have heard some people that train with a dumbell from the start and others that don't as it will "ruin" a dog.

Thanks for the reply and I would love to see any video you manage to get of the Pug.

Training with a dumbell from the start will help the dog. I have never heard of it ruinning a dog! What is the persons theory behind that one?

IMO it is important to use a correctly fitting dumbell right from the start. The ground clearance for the lower jaw being most important in helping the dog pick it up during the learning stages. A correct length of shaft will keep it confidently snug in the dogs mouth, which helps to discourage mouthing and throwing it around in his/her mouth. Encourage dog to hold it just behind canine teeth.

Training with a dumbell from the start will help the dog. I have never heard of it ruinning a dog! What is the persons theory behind that one?

I honestly didn't ask. If I see them again I will try and remeber to find out.

So can I make my own dumbell or do I have to use a bought one? Being a Pug I have never found one with a long enough shaft to fit in their mouth.

Dog obedience clubs usually have an array of sizes, but I find it ideal to get one custom made, using your dogs measurements (muzzle width, practical size overall, thickness of shaft).

Most stair case factorys have wood turners in them that you could con. Inside of dumbell ends should have a slight outward taper for good vision while in the mouth.

You can buy ready made one's on the net, but I find the size is never right.

Edited by dogdude