Stay, Wait And Release

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I think sometimes I forget how to go back to the begining!

Cosmolo, yep I'll be there!!! I will look out for you, and Ed is in my sig so you'll probably see him, and his bratty cousin Molly!

I'm another one who gets my footwork confused sometimes, and can sometimes throw myself off balance :) (poor Ed)

Edited by shoemonster

I'm another one who gets my footwork confused sometimes, and can sometimes throw myself off balance :rofl: (poor Ed)

Yeah I know, sometimes I just feel plain foot dyslexic. Our instructor asked last week whether we've noticed which foot we automatically step off with during the day when not with out dogs. She's positive it's left. Can't say I've noticed.

As an extension of this topic- for those of you who use stay, how do you do a drop on the move, Do you have to say stay straight after the drop command to get the dog to hold the position as you continue walking?

As an extension of this topic- for those of you who use stay, how do you do a drop on the move, Do you have to say stay straight after the drop command to get the dog to hold the position as you continue walking?

I've not tried it yet with my current dogs, with my old dogs I just kept walking, I didn't have to tell them to stay - perhaps that just proves your point? :rofl::rofl:

Yep - you're being a smart :rofl: Cosmolo :rofl:

LOL - I had to giggle when I read your post though...

Because I train my dogs to hold position until released as well as the stay/wait - all I do is simply say the command (sit/drop/stand) and keep walking.

I tend to only use stay/wait when I am gone for extended periods - eg: a long stay, not necissarily a formal stay.

I find it interesting however Cosmo that you have found the opposite to me. I found people who simply say 'sit/drop/ stand' and left, the dogs would break easily. Those who said 'stay/wait' would hold it for longer..... all in all I think it is the training techniques, but interesting none-the-less....

LP- you're right in that it is the training techniques and consistency- my guys have great stays and i'm sure your do too- using different techniques. Its interesting though that you use stay 'sometimes' :thumbsup: I would have thought that a drop on the move would need to be accompanied by stay if you were purely training that way. Doesn't that suggest that the dog is waiting for a release anyway and doesn't care whether you say stay or not..?

Haha, I went to another club with Loki (for a very short time) in order to do some agility. They too were incredulous that I didn't use a stay/wait command and argued that Loki would start breaking his stays upon my return because if it. I laughed and said of course not and they couldn't understand how I had taught him otherwise. I was like um.....hello....randomisation :thumbsup:

Needless to say we didn't stay there long :rofl:

I tried tonight without using the stay command and pup stayed! He didn't stay when I walked off backwards but he did when I did it properly. Interesting!

He also stayed when the cat jumped on him! Then the cat joined in and did the stay with him, wish I had had the camera! :thumbsup: