What Fish Do You Feed Your Dogs And How Often?

I have always given my dogs sardines once or maybe twice a week. My 3 month old pup has stopped eating his lunch and won't eat all of his breakfast unless I put some fish on it.

I have started giving him a small tin of tuna, salmon or sardines on it. Am I giving him too much fish? If not what other types of fish can I give him that will keep his coat looking as great as it does now?

Edited by Norskgra

I forgot to mention that I also give them all fish oil capsules. My pup has a beautiful shiny coat but I wasn't sure if I was giving him too much fish.

You can see the shine on his coat in this photo and I haven't used anything on his coat to make it shine.

Brockat12weeksstacked.jpg

Edited by Norskgra

I read somewhere (probably on DOL), but can't find it now, not to feed too much fish (presumably not every day) not sure why.

We give ours Nutro kibble morning and evening (they're 6 months old) and sardines once a week (Tuesday), a small tin of tuna (Saturday) in oil once a week and an egg once a week (Thursday) mixed with the kibble. For the meals that we don't feed fish or eggs they have pets chicken mince mixed with the kibble. We get it from Leonards - it's basically minced chicken frames and quite lean. They also have turkey necks or chicken wings for their teeth.

Their coats are extremely shiny and healthy, but I think Nutro has a lot to do with it as well. They don't like eating just kibble which is why we use the chciken mince.

When they were babies they were easy to please then when they were Brock's age (3 months) they became extremely fussy and wouldn't touch plain kibble (but still loved sardines and tuna) so I was glad to find the Leonards pet grade chicken mince. It's very finely minced and spreads easily through the kibble so you don't need much and perhaps with the fish oil mixed in he'll think he's having fish.

Thanks Benny123. All of my dogs are fed Nutro of one variety or the other and I am sure that has a lot to do with Brock's coat. I was feeding him sardines on Saturday's, tuna on Wednesdays and an egg once a week. He also gets fed chicken necks or wings every day and also some pieces of chicken frames once a week. I am currently mixing some minced whole chicken and veges in to his dry for dinner as well. He also loves the premade BARF patties. He also loves it when I give him some of thre meat from my Elkies lamb flaps.

He is also teething so that could be one reason why he doesn't like to eat his dry by itself.

Hey I had no idea it was good to give fish to dogs. Is this like Tuna in springwater or like sardines in oil...I'm assuming the oil would be good.

So is a couple of times a week a good idea?

What is in it that mnakes it good? The oil, protein and omega3?

Mine get a tin of sardines each once a week.

Say "little fishes" to Robbie and he practically starts salivating on the spot :cry:

ETA is the egg raw or cooked, or doesn't it matter?

Edited by kamuzz

My 3 month old pup has stopped eating his lunch and won't eat all of his breakfast unless I put some fish on it.

SUCKA :cry:

He will eat if he is hungry, but how could you resist that little face :o

My 3 month old pup has stopped eating his lunch and won't eat all of his breakfast unless I put some fish on it.

SUCKA :cry:

He will eat if he is hungry, but how could you resist that little face :o

I know he will eat if he is hungry but we are also trying to put some weight on him. If it wasn't for his weight, he would go hungry until he decides to eat. I am not worried about him not eating his lunch as it is only to be expected at his age.

We feed sardines about once a week ( we have 4 adult deerhounds and a DH puppy and a whippet ) we buy the No-name, they all LOVE it....

One of our Deeries prefers Sardines in tomato sauce.

Another good source ( sauce..... ) of fish is Snappy Tom cat food, is cheap ( look again at the number of dogs we have.... ) and they love it.

They NEVER leave any food when we put sardines or Snappy Tom in it.

one of our dogs is on a special diet as she has Megaesophagus

and we give her flaked chicken, so she needs more omega 3 oils in her diets, so we give her omega magic plus. megaderm is good, but costs about twice as much

My dogs get raw fish about once a week. Mackrel, pitchards, ribbon fish, yellowtail, whatever is the cheepest in the shop. they also get all sorts of other fish when my OH catches them. They like it frozen, and they get it whole with guts, scales, head and fins.

Occasionally I buy canned fish and they are usually mackrel either in brine or in oil, on occasion in tomatoe souce.

They also get fish oil capsules daily.

Mine get raw once a week (usually sardines or pilchards) frozen or thawed and they eat it whole.

They also get a tin of salmon or tuna mixed with some yoghurt and some weet bix or brown rice as their "carbs" meal every once in a while.

They looooove it. Actually, they love nearly EVERY food.

mine get fishes everyday...because generally my breeds does very well on fishes than red meats. I get salmon and spanish mackeral mostly, sometimes capelins in whole and occasionally some canned tuna soaked in springwater.

As for the shiny coat, some dogs coat just shine with the appropriate ingredient that is needed, which can be presence in an array of food stuffs be it fishes or flax or EPO. Mainly the balance of O3 and O6. Nothing to do with any 1 particular type of special food. Usually with coat supplements or with lecithin or similar supplements, dogs that are black, dark brown to golden tend to shine. Dogs like Dobi, Cocker, GR or similar types. U rarely see coats of ST, pekingese, coolie, samoyed or keeshond type of colour to shine because theirs have a different colour and texture.

I give them flax, EPO, salmon oil, fish oil on a regular basis also. My white dogs coat are white and the double coated ones will glitter.