Staffy Puppy Chasing ( Trying To Kill! Cat) Problems

RobbieRules

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,

This certainly will end in tragedy, if you think the poor old cat can survive 3 dogs chasing it, we had a simular problem and we found our poor old cat DEAD out the front of the house. It was a shock cause Bessie was victimised the least out of our three cats, but she was bleeding from the ear and mouth. I was very upset!!

Huge wake up call to me!!

My dogs when they are inside are on a leash in a desinated area or they sit near me if they start to wonder they get tied up. They know the routine, will often lie in their spot without the lead attached.

My cats now have a kitty litter tray in our on-suite, so they usually stay inside a lot, they feel safe and happy, have taken over our bedroom, but when they go outside the dogs are penned and I call them home at night when the dogs are inside tied up. This works well for us. We live on property.

At Times the JRT will still chase if he sees her outside but we have reduced the incidence greatly.

We are buying a new pup soon and plan on putting a muzzle on the JRT as he is very mouthy and dominant , so he won,t teach the pups bad habits and the pup will also be monitered very carfully around him for her safety.

So please put a plan in place that is easy to live with.

Joyalmond

Edited by joyalmond

My Staff & Kelpie/Amstaff crosses have a cantankerous 18 year old cat to deal with and she takes NO PRISONERS.. She just tells them what for and they back off.. backed up by a growling barking me that is... It might have to be pointed out that the cat is part of the pack but not to be played with...

With a cross being both staff and kelpie the prey drive is high, but we have had to put the time and effort in to make sure that they know that it is NOT ACCEPTABLE...

Keep the cat inside at ALL times, when the dog is inside, put the cat in another room and shut the door, unless dog is on lead.

You wont get any fights, and they might learn to live together

I think this is a great idea. With an old cat he/she will probably just curl up and have a good sleep. We have 4 cats, 3 dogs and thank goodness have never had any probs. our cats have never been outside but with our really old diabetic rex I always give him time out alone in my bed (he can't jump etc anymore) to rest and recoup after kittens and puppies. He appreciates this.

Even our friends's bc who visits a lot (to stay) and HATES cats, has never gone for any of them. We are very firm that the cats are boss, but it must be very difficult with a boisterous pup. I would not allow the wrestling and train the pup that this is a definate no no just like you would if he were doing this with a child. Otherwise it may escalate and I'd hate to think what would happen to poor kitty. Really wish you the best, it sounds like you have a very difficult situation to overcome all up. Cheersxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :rolleyes: