Do You Loose Your Temper While Training Your Dogs?

The only time I have come close to losing my temper was when I was running Brody in test B obedience (2nd top test over here). We started the off lead and after I had walked a wee bit and was about to do a right turn I glanced down and Brody was still sitting at the start. After several extra commands he finally decided to come, lagged the entire round. He did the recall ok then when doing the dumbbell he went and lay down beside it and refused to move. he also broke his stays. He was a dog with a very determined personality and that particular day he had just decided no way. By the end of the day I was so furious with him I put him in the car and walked away until I calmed down. He provided considerable amusement for fellow exhibitors and the more they laughed the worse he played up

At the time I was extremely angry but I now look back at that memory fondly and think yup that was my boy, when he was good he was very good but when he was bad he was really bad, no sense doing things by half.

If things are not going well I tend to put the leads away and try again another days

Only once I have really lost my temper while training. It didn't cause a problem with my dog, lucky for me. As Shoemonster said, you learn from it. Nope, nope, nope. These days, never. If things aren't going well I'm more likely to worry about how to get around the problem. So I abandon whatever is going wrong and find something positive to work on, to end on a good note, them pack up and have a cuppa.

With other people, sometimes I really really do want to lose my temper and have to walk away.

People are the ones it's hardest not to lose your temper at, I reckon! In saying this, I reckon we'd all be inhuman if we didn't get frustrated sometimes in our training.

I do obedience with an Afghan Hound so every training session and Trial is a learning opportunity and a good chance to laugh at his antics and myself. There is no point me getting angry or annoyed as that won't get either of us anywhere.

I have learnt very quickly not to take myself too seriously.

Bear.

Yes, I am ashamed to say that I regularly get frustrated and angry when training my dog.

I am not naturally a very patient person, and my dog is definately not the brightest star in the sky. He is willing and has good focus, but it normally takes dozens of reps over many short training sessions before he really understands and remembers even the most basic new skill (and it's honestly not just not me being a rubbish trainer - I've trained and helped train other dogs before and they've all been much much quicker to pick up new skills). So when I'm trying to teach him a new behaviour it can sometimes be hard to remember that he is trying and that he isn't just being deliberately "stubborn" in order to wind me up.

When I do get frustrated, I have learned to just immediately walk away from the session, and come back to it again later when we're both feeling more relaxed, and perhaps when I've thought of a different approach to teach the particular behaviour. Keeping on when I'm frustrated only makes him more confused, and me more upset, and really doesn't achieve anything positive.

Luckily, my dear dog is about as sensitive and perceptive as a banana. He doesn't get upset if I let off steam by yelling "aargh" or stamping my feet, and it doesn't hurt his feelings if I suddenly abandon the training session to get a drink instead! :D

Luckily, my dear dog is about as sensitive and perceptive as a banana. ...

:laugh: Well I'll have you know that I have come across some VERY sensitive banana's. :laugh:

Haven't yet met a "perceptive" one though.

Not sure what losing your temper means?

Ive become extremely frustrated at training a few times especially when Nova was younger, it was hard as he was a frustrating dog too train and i was very inexperienced.....i was 14-15 at the time.

Ive never hit my dogs out of anger though. I always put them away if i or they become frustrated. Have never been lost my temper or become any where near as frustrated with Darcy as i had been with Nova.

Not sure what losing your temper means?

Excellent point. :laugh:

This may not mean incorrect, inconsistent, poor timed pressure/corrections. It could also be simply confusing a dog.

Just like us, I think mental stress can be worse than physical.

Indi will ignore you if she senses you're frustrated or annoyed with her. She doesn't get upset, she just loses interest in you and walks off to find something else more fun.

I have to admit I do sometimes get frustrated with her when she continually lunges at passing cars (we're still getting over our car chasing problem - we're getting there, slowly)

I would have to say, yes, in the past I have lost my temper when training. This would have usually been in the lead up to a competition when I would feel significant pressure to ensure that all problems were rectified within a defined period of time. A real recipe for disaster in dog training!! As I've gotten older I've come to understand my own personality alot better and now manage myself accordingly. If I start to get frustrated or inconsistent I put the dog away immediately. This can be tough to do if I've driven an hour or two to train on a particular property but I've learnt to do it anyway. So much damage can be done by persisting on working through a problem when the dog has obviously shut down that I'd rather waste a whole day in travel and petrol than set the dog back by weeks or months. The same goes for the trial, if I have to skip it because the dog has developed a problem then no big deal - I'll wear that.

Often when I read the list of ideal traits for dog trainers I wonder if anyone could possibly fit all those requirements. And although there may be some who can tick off every personality and physical trait on the list, what about the rest of the population who can't? Does that mean they shouldn't train a dog or indeed have a dog? I think successful dog training comes down to knowing your own limitations and managing them accordingly. The best thing I ever came to understand is that any problem my dog has is MY problem, not his. It means I now walk away from my training sessions thinking, what can I do better? What should I have done differently? This change in focus, I think, makes all the difference.