No Problem - Just A Quirky Dog-tale

Sam_Gledhill

Hi All,

I don't have a problem, but I thought you might like to hear a funny thing that my 16wk old labrador "Louie" gets up to.

It seems he has developed a rather strengthy obsession with sock. My wife and I often come home to find 6 or 7 or more socks on the front lawn or in his bed. He has access to indoors during the day and any sock (or rolled up pair) is obviously fair game.

What is unusual is that he has only got interest in socks - clean or dirty - but no other clothing type. He doesn't go near towels, shirts, undies, jeans - only socks. He doesn't destroy them either - in fact they barely get slobbered on - just looked at and sniffed as best I can tell.

Seeing as it is not causing too much strife, we haven't been particlarly worried about it - it does make him all the more endearing though!

Edited by Sam_Gledhill

hehe one of my furkids has learnt how to open the front loader, take out the socks (only my OH's thick black work socks) and leave them in the corridor. He never plays with them, hides them or brings them to us. It's more of a "you know I can get to your clothes at any time," kind of a statement. We have NEVER heard or seen him do it. We just walk into the corridor and there they are. On washing days, this can happen several times a day! (Luckily, he can't open the door during the wash cycle or it would be much, much worse!)

yes and when he destroys something rather expensive it will be very endearing ...

dogs have a great sense of smell so even a washed sock contains great smells. My dog is the same, always went for socks even when stuffed in shoes! I got her out of it quickly by putting away socks and when I caught her sniffing around for them she was reprimanded. I would restrict access to rooms where clothing is kept to get him out of the habit

One of my Goldies was always obsessed with socks as a puppy (she still occasionally carries a pair in her mouth... clean or dirty - she doesn't mind). One time she completely emptied out our sock drawer (over 40 pairs) and brought them all one by one to the sliding door. I was oblivious to this at the time!

Ahh yes Poppy was a knicker nicker when she was a pup.

She'd grab them and hand them over the baby gate to T-bone who would take them right down the back yard. Couldn't work out why my collection of purple lurex G-Bangers was diminishing :rolleyes:

We often find socks laying around in the front yard- always my boyfriends footy-type socks. I now tell him I take no responsiblity to what Hero does to them, if he can't pick them up their fairgame as far as I'm concerned!! Needless to say he now has countless odd socks!! (why does it take men so long to learn LOL)

Lola used to have a thing for shoes and socks when she was a pup. She learnt how to undo your shoelaces remove your shoes, run off have a bit of a chew, and come back for the socks!! :love:

I know of far too many dogs that had to have surgery for sock eating ,whilst it is cute socks can be a dreaded curse when the dogs eat them & generally by the time owners realize its a very serious medical issue.

Many many moons ago (like about 30 year ago or more) my parents live where there were few fences. Our dog would come home with shoes. She came home with a pair, only single shoes and she would leave them at the front door.

At least you guys have discerning puppies! Our two will chew anything. Sometimes it is hard to remember they are just pups as they are big (especially the cattle/mastiff). He is just a chomping set of jaws on legs!

BUT, when I get home, they are so glad to see me that their whole bodies wag-I can deal with the chewed stuff!