Dogs 'burning Out' In Training

Yes........but.............IT DEPENDS.

After all, dogs - regardless of age, sit, drop, stand, rest (stay), etc on their own naturally.

Tricks and higher standards when controlled/channelled by us, is simply an extension.

I'm confused lablover - what was this post referring to? The OP?

Just a general post.

I make sure training is fun for my dog, I like to quit while I'm ahead (end on a good note!) and I stick to the 80% rule - make sure she's getting it right at least 80% of the time in more than one training session before moving onto the next session.

My dog gets trained every day unless I'm away for work - I use brekky and dinner time as a short training session, might only be 30 seconds but its a good opportunity to keep things fresh in her mind. I use any opportunity I get as a short training session.

I expect my dog to be well behaved in everyday life, and that makes a huge difference in training for obedience because of the consistancy of training. I also enjoy challenging her now and then and seeing what she'll do and where she's up to... no expectations and nothing negative for the wrong answer. She's surprised me on quite a few occasions and I've always dished out big rewards for those times :thumbsup: