Stand For Exam Issues

JulesP

Well, just got back from KCC park run throughs. Blew stand for exam right on cue too. He sat at heel when I returned. Practiced it a few times today without a hitch, but he done it in the ring. :laugh:

He also broke in the sit stay :thumbsup: Now that is a new one. Looks like we have some proofing to do. Not training around other dogs latley is really showing up problem areas. His heelwork was good, so was his recall. Found the set up at KCC under lights was really good. Met a couple of DOL'ers there too! (Arya & Glorybea) both very nice people with nice dogs. :D

Just as well he did something ok. :D

We have been working on the Stand issue with some positives which seem to be helping. It is not a confusion problem from what I can see, just a forgetfull moment of brain fade, like he thinks I am coming to a halt, so he sits!??? Only happens when he loses focus. Bit frustrating, but we are working through it.

I am maybe looking at joining Southern so I can train around more dogs on a Wednesday night. Just have to look into travel times.

Edited by dogdude

Maybe look at how you return to doggie? Do you do a nice crisp halt next to him? If you do, you may be giving him the signal to sit with your body language. Does that make sense? In the video stuff I watched you do walk along nice and smartly so that might be a problem! I sort of walk softly/gentley when I do a return as against a firm foot down when I want a sit.

Another thing I do is heel straight off rather than stopping next to the dog. That way the dog never knows what is going to happen.

I started Brock off doing a sit & drop for exam before venturing to a stand and he did actually let me walk around him so that is an improvement! Still not a happy pup about though.

Thanks JulesP

I will make sure I chop & change the routine. Your right, it should help. I dont tend to tippytoe back, which probably could giving the dog a little confusion by stopping abruptly, especially if he is away with the fairys a little. I dont tend to ask for full focus during the stays, probably part of the problem.

Well Brock was getting OK at this until class this week. We did an exercise that he was not ready for (well none of the dogs was ready for it as they all moved!) I went and got one of the trial people to help afterwards and got him back a bit again. Grrr. I am annoyed with myself as I knew I should not have done the exercise.

I am in a rather feral class at the moment. I actually had a dog nearly knock me over by jumping on me during the sit stay! Brock of course broke his stay, just a little bit, distractions are good but that was a bit much!

If the dog is not ready for the exercise just tell them your dog is not ready and don't do the exercise. Tia was doing the confidence course at club and on the mini dog walk, they wanted me to bend over her and the instructor to bend over her, I just didn't do it, because I know that can make dogs nervy doing that. Then they started forcing a dog into the tunnel. At the start the dog was a little nervous by the time the instructor had finished it was terrified. Once the instructor had gone, I lent the girl a tennis ball and put it into the tunnel, and the dog was racing through. I won't wreck my relationship with my dog to keep the instructor happy.