Puppy Keeps Scratching & Biting His Leg

miss shel

Hi

My puppy keeps scratching and biting his leg. It looks like it is getting red and sore, what can I do to stop him doing it and fix it.

He doesn't have fleas, as I have used frontline plus and I have checked and can find nothing. I also bathed him on the weekend to try to help.

Thanks

Shel

I would take him to the vet to get it checked out. It could be a bite, an ingrown hair, grass seed, or allergy (just to name a few) without seeing it its hard to reccomend something over a forum

He may need some antihistamines or medication. Also an elizabethan collar over his head will make him leve the leg alone.

If you dont like the vet get a new one. Sometimes its worth travelling to find a good, knowledgable vet that will get the job done instead of just churning through the patients.

Remember its your animal - you have the right to question a vets opinion and always get an opinion from another as well.

I did take him to the vet last wed and reported this problem. The vet checked it and just gave him the frontline plus. But now he doesn't have any fleas. I didn't like that vet very much though.

Should i go again?

Did he have fleas? If it's a flea allergy it's going to take a little while for the reaction to settle down, some dogs are very sensitive to flea bites. And although you don't see fleas on your pup there may/will still be fleas in the enviroment. I'd probably have it checked again or see another vet. Always remember that you are paying your vet therefore you have the right to be happy with him/her.