Inspired By Dogdude

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I need to tape my lead arm to my body so that I don't use it to control where he is positioned lol

One of my pet hates (along with people looking at their dog when they are trialling :angel: ) is people using their arms & hands when they shouldnt be :p . Your hand/arm/upper body should never move when you come to a halt & your arm & hand should never move when you turn a corner etc. MrD does it all the time & Im always telling him off for it :D . It's a double signal!!! It's a bit hard to see on that video to what extent you are doing it, but if you are aware of it it's less likely to happen. Probably the best way to fix it as already discussed is to go offlead, however make sure your dog is working well & not likely to bugger off before doing that.

Other things I noticed were you stepping into him on your halts & drops as well as you stepping into him when you turn the corners :eek: - dunno what that's all about shoey :cheer::( . I agree you need to practice on your own without the dog somewhere like a tennis or basketball court to improve your footwork & sort out your own handling first (in fact I may have even suggested the tennis or basketball court idea that last time I commented on one of your videos you posted - the bane of my life, no-one listens to me :cheer: ). Something that will help when walking is to make sure you walk straight lines & dont drift around all over the place - look ahead (not at your dog or the ground) & pick a point in front of you & walk towards it. It will make a big difference :) .

Lastly, dont elongate your signals, you should be aiming to give a signal that is no longer (time wise) than the amount of time that you take to say the command (hope that makes sense). In other words you shouldnt say the word drop & still be stooped over pointing at the ground while the dog is dropping. Give the signal & put your hand away. Elongated signals may be penalised by the judge.

Arya, rattling the martingale chains :eek: I do hope you mean whilst training & not when trialling, that is a definite no-no in the ring :scold::eek::) .

Ohhh & one last thing that you asked - I use a 3 foot lead when Im trialling & hold the lead in my left hand near my hip, transfer it to my right hand when I give a signal & then straight back to the left hand. Being 3 foot there is no slack to take up, the lead hangs nicely & there is a loop in the lead at all times (as long as the dog is in the correct positon of course! :) ).

Edited by MrsD

knew there was a reason my ears were burning lol.

Yeah ve given up dog trianing shoeys exhausted my ears rofl just kidding

with connor out of action i have been finding it hard to get motivated to start from scratch yet again with another dog twice now i have spent time training dogs up to trial standard only to have something go wrong at the last minute first we loft Yogi then connors knees fell off we kinda lol.

So ive put dog trianing on the back burner while i try some new things and have a breaak will probabaly get back to it when it cools down more

shoey your doing great you need to get runthroughs at club with someone who can ork on one area each time ratehr than just a ring runthrogh alan at WP would be oki dont bother with a lead but then i wouldnt bother with ccd saves the trouble of teaching on lead heeling lol.

Edited by wheres my rock

Heyyyy Stella!!!

Ok, I will ask them about doing run throughs with just one area

I won't have training at WP for a couple of weeks, have got shows and a wedding (rude wedding cutting into my dog training! lol)

Mrs D, I did listen, just don't know where there are tennis courts nearby! lol I think my stepping into him is a balance thing on my part, due to a long existing bung knee, so really do need to practise on my own stuff

Anyone know things for improving my own balance? Shoulda listened to my physio huh?!!!

I took some more vids tonight, my god I look at him way too much, I don't even realsie I'm doing it at the time

Ok, short heeling before dinner at mums house last night! I still looked at him way too much

Once again the sound is a few seconds late, don't know why that always happens, it's weird

I will have to video some freestyle stuff now!

Edited by shoemonster

My bad habit with Moses is looking at him, because I always want to c/t when he is in the right position. But I forced myself during my first CCD trial not to look at him. I did a ring run throughs at Croydon and they were great. They would pick at me too bits and then apologise, I just said "thats what I am here for", they fixed up my figure 8's as I was going too wide, I also had the habit of walking into the dog. The amount of times they got me to go back to the start post. LOL They are all experienced triallers. They also picked at my foot work or lack of.

Which was great. They even held the dog while I practiced. It took me a while to get the foot work right without thinking about it. I use the same foot work with Tia and she will often do a auto sit without signal but by just following my footwork.

With Moses the first couple of years of his life all work is done off lead, that hows they train where I go. So it was very hard to work with a lead, but I forced myself to do it, so I knew what to do with the lead. I also changed my left turns to the one that you don't have to juggle the lead as much.

I also practiced walking in a straight line, using the lines in my driveway. They also suggested lines painted at car parks. I probably would have my hands dangling down but have them up, so he knows the difference between going for a walk and obedience.

They do run throughs at KCC park.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

CTD, the run-throughs at KCC Park on Tues nights are where I go and they are great :angel: Lots of great advice given from judges and helpers.

From Mrs D: Arya, rattling the martingale chains I do hope you mean whilst training & not when trialling, that is a definite no-no in the ring >>>>>>>> .

AAAH, Mrs D, it's no touching in the ring and I know that. I saw this guy give his dog a correction at the start post once and he lost HEAPS points and then was insulted when the judge told him so!!! Unreal.

Re the looking at your dog - I know we mustn't do it in the ring and I understand this. But I must say there are two things I find hard (though I suppose someone has got to be looking where they are going or we'd trip up LOL). I really like to have my dog, being a shepherd and able to do it, to look right up at my face when heeling. It's not a question of how it looks to me but the position it puts her in and also helps to keep distractions out of the picture if she isn't looking ahead but up at me. Plus, I like the bond it creates. Can someone tell me (ignorant that I am) why this is such a bad thing in the ring during a trial? I don't really understand.

The other thing is, and I know we must train our dogs to do this and of course, I do, I don't really love the way stays are conducted. My philosophy has always been to teach my dogs to stay close in my vicinity, to be around the pack leader and focus on what I am up to. Then, with the stays, we ask them to stay in one place in a line of dogs giving off different body signals, different levels of tension, and we WALK AWAY from them. I hate this. It is a very tense exercise for the dogs and I think, though a good test of obedience, rather unfair to the dogs. If they were asked to stay on their own I think it would be fairer. Just my opinion and a bit off topic but there you go :(

AAAH, Mrs D, it's no touching in the ring and I know that. I saw this guy give his dog a correction at the start post once and he lost HEAPS points and then was insulted when the judge told him so!!! Unreal.

:( Sorry Arya, I misunderstood & thought you meant when they were trialling, I was :cheer: :cheer: . Dagboy & I stewarded for a very good friend of mine who is a judge a couple of weeks ago in CCD & she was astounded at the number of handlers who came in the ring & either used the check chain on the dog or used their hands to put the dog into place :scold::eek: :eek: . And that was just to get the dog to sit at the start peg before the first exercise :angel: . She made a point of telling them all once at the beginning that she would deduct points for any rattlig of the checkchain & most of them had no idea it was even wrong! She even mentioned the fact that people need to learn the rules before they set foot in a trialling ring in her speech at presentations - unfortunately I think the people that were guilty were the ones who didnt qualify & had gone home by then :D .

Re the looking at your dog - I know we mustn't do it in the ring and I understand this. But I must say there are two things I find hard (though I suppose someone has got to be looking where they are going or we'd trip up LOL). I really like to have my dog, being a shepherd and able to do it, to look right up at my face when heeling. It's not a question of how it looks to me but the position it puts her in and also helps to keep distractions out of the picture if she isn't looking ahead but up at me. Plus, I like the bond it creates. Can someone tell me (ignorant that I am) why this is such a bad thing in the ring during a trial? I don't really understand.

Arya, there are 2 completely different things. Your dog looking at you is great, shows focus etc. But you looking at the dog is not so great, it can be seen as intimidation, encouragement, praise or even a second signal & none of those things are allowed in the trial ring during the exercise.

A dog looking up towards a handlers face is very different to the handler looking at the dog whether or not they make eye contact.

Obviously while you are training you need to look at our dog alot to see if they are in the correct position, to treat, to praise etc, but as long as you are aware that you shouldnt do it in the trial ring & the extent to which you do do it ie shoey's comment that she didnt realise that she looked at Ed that much - you should be right. :eek:

If you want to improve your posture and the way you walk then have a look at the Alexander Technique. It helps with balance, breathing etc. I had a few lessons to help with horse riding. Looking down like that tips your weight forwards so will make it harder to walk in a balanced manner, your head actually weighs heaps! If you want to look at doggy, just drop your eyes down.

With walking in a straight line, look up and pick a focus point and walk towards that.

Especially watch your first step! You actually made doggy go wide! He was very honest to come back in straight again.

P.S. doggy is working very nicely! Just being picky for you!

Oh cool thanks JulesP

I often think it's my own wonkiness that makes him go wide sometimes! Poor Ed having a wonky handler!!! lol

I will check out the Alexander techinique too, sounds interesting

The kcc run throughs sound interesting too, would love more details

Edited by shoemonster