Another Dry Food Thread......

ReXy

ok, i know its probly been done before, but i would like opinions if anyone has used it as the heading says,, purina bonnie puppy..

i was given a 20 kilo bag of bonnie puppy, altho it does list bran, meat and meat by products i think from memory bag is still in car.. it has a fair amount of protein etc

obviously its not a prem brand food and there is better, but i was wondering if anyone has used it and with what results.?.

i usually use nutrience i have almost ran out and was given this bag so will see how they do on it

It's turned to absolute crap in the last 12 months. It was once a good product, now I wouldn't feed it to a starving dog at the pound.

I used it since Bonnie first made it and now I have about 15kg's of it sitting in a container, just waiting to chuck it out. I can't give it away at the moment.

I would have to agree with Warley there, I haven't fed it for many years but it used to be great.

I looked after some dogs over xmas whose main diet was this (gundogs) they have to eat soooooo much of the stuff to keep any sort of condition!!

It has gotten bigger and alot paler in colour which would tell me = more filler.

Mel.

I have to agree on the quality of Bonnie - I feed it occasionally - and I have noticed that since Purina took over, the quality is not as good as it was. And the ingredients have changed drastically. Smells different too. Perhaps Purina is using left over/spoiled/not so good human products? Cheaper that way. I think it used to have roo, didn't it? I have forgotten.

My dogs used to really like it, but when it changed they were very lethargic about eating it. That is unusual in itself - I always think one night I'll fall over when I'm feeding them, and they will simply gobble me up with everything else!!

OK for your "cheap change" but not OK as a prime source of nourishment for the doggies, I think.

the main source of my guys food is raw foods / bones veg and fruit which they loveeeeeee..lol they get a small amount of dry in the morning with egg or yoghurt.., thanks for your thoughts, i wasnt aware that purina had taken it over. as ive never brought it before.. ill be giving half to friends cocker whos not terribly fussed, 20 kilos of the stuff will take me forever to get rid of..lol as they only have a few small handfulls in the morning.

Actually now that you mention it Daegon has been doing very poorly on the Bonnie. I get around 7 cups of it into him through force feeding and that is enough to just hold current weight without gaining any. He used to eat it quite readily and now he will flat out refuse it. When did Purina take over anybody know? Daegon started refusing it around August last year I think it was...perhaps he knew :rofl:

ETA: this is Bonnie Working Dog, not puppy :rofl:

Edited by shekhina

since being taken over by Purina..it is not as good, imo..used to have more milk,egg etc and not as much cereal.We have used it for ages...pups seem to do well on it ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rosie grew up on it before it changed, then she went onto Eagle Pack which produced......... 18 kilos of pure smooth collie :rofl:

Yes, 7 cups. It's ridiculous, I cannot get him to gain weight on it no matter how much of it he eats. If he eats less than the 7 cups he will lose weight. Back before August he was eating the Bonnie very happily, only 3 cups a day and staying at a steady weight.

Used to use Bonnie regularly for both adults and pups and was very happy with it.

Yes it was roo in it Jed, believe it is now chicken due to some minority group jumping up and down about the national emblem being used.

You could see and feel the oil in each biscuit and the dogs all had lovely shiny coats and did well on it.

That all changed sometime after Purina bought the company. Many complaints went in from this area, everyone in the Working Dog Club used to use it, they were assured no changes had been made, however the difference in the dogs was marked, plus it cost considerably more.

Haven't used it for ages now, its totally different to what it used to be.

Daegon is force fed because he has refused to eat anything on his own since August last year, aside from a different kibble for a couple of weeks and the occasional other bits here and there.

I will be swapping back to the kibble he did eat for a while on Wednesday. He better eat it or I will be packing his bags for him and putting him out on the doorstep :rofl:

Daegon is force fed because he has refused to eat anything on his own since August last year, aside from a different kibble for a couple of weeks and the occasional other bits here and there.

I will be swapping back to the kibble he did eat for a while on Wednesday. He better eat it or I will be packing his bags for him and putting him out on the doorstep :rofl:

But he looks like such an angelic boy!!! Surely an adorable face like that couldn't be so fussy!!!

I will be swapping back to the kibble he did eat for a while on Wednesday. He better eat it or I will be packing his bags for him and putting him out on the doorstep :rolleyes:

Oh that's right, I do remember now you say that, my apologies. ;)

Mel.