Epi Help Please

shekhina

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kitakins useless fact of the day - i can get 6 bottles of creon forte for 5 bucks :laugh:

That's not useless, that could prove very haaaandy :)

Shekky, do you want me to put you in touch with someone who is successfully managing a dog with EPI?

Yes please, I would do anything I could to get Tajah well again, I think my dad has just given up and is distancing himself from the problems...probably thinks that will make it easier if/when things end :D

Shekky, do you want me to put you in touch with someone who is successfully managing a dog with EPI?

Yes please, I would do anything I could to get Tajah well again, I think my dad has just given up and is distancing himself from the problems...probably thinks that will make it easier if/when things end :D

No worries, give me 2 days max to get in touch with them to get the ok to pass their email address on :laugh: I hope they can give some handy advice based on their experience..

Guest kitakins

kitakins useless fact of the day - i can get 6 bottles of creon forte for 5 bucks :D

That's not useless, that could prove very haaaandy :)

:) if you ever needed creon or an equivalent, just find someone with cf whose on a health care card! :laugh: then again, the amount a dog would need wouldnt cost too much if you had the vet write the script up anyway. not sure how you could give it to a dog without having to put the tablet down its throat. the spheres cant be chewed. hmm.

Shek

ill PM you later, remind me if i forget. I have an epi dog for a few years now, we have him on BARF and Creon, and we dont tie ourselves in knots over %ages of anything, basically he can eat anything. The diaarhhea is just part of epi, once you have an effective meds dose that will stop. Does it work...well currently i have a weim who is a good 10kgs overweight after a few months without hard work :laugh: (and is now dieting and upping his exercise) despite being severe epi and who was very nearly pts a couple of years ago because we didnt know why he was losing so much weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update this thread.

Tajah has now been on a raw food diet, with vet's all natural complete mix and her medication changed to the human version, for 2 weeks.

Her weight before she started was just 11.9kg and she was a skeleton with skin :cry:

Her weight this morning after two weeks is 14.2kg :mad

Her coat is improving, her tummy is filling out, she is no longer starving every minute of every day, her poos are normal and she isn't losing anywhere near the amount of oil from her skin. The change is incredible.

I will have a photo of her tonight before she started...not sure how good it is, I didn't take it, and I'll be posting progress photos.

This is such a huge relief for me and my family because there was a lot of talk of having her PTS, the vets had given up on her.

Go Tajah! :)

I believe it's called Creon, and it's around $75 for 100 tablets. Tajah is currently on two a day, one with each meal. Once she's reached her healthy weight which is just above 20kg she will be taken back to one meal a day depending on how she holds her weight.

You can get a script for Creon written up by your vet and pick it up at a chemist.

OK here are a few photos...mum didn't end up having one of her just before she started the new food...but the difference between then and these photos now is just incredible, she was honestly a walking skeleton with skin hanging off.

tajah.jpg

tajah3.jpg

tajah2.jpg

ETA: the photo over the top of her, 2 weeks ago all you could see was ribs jutting out all over the place, I just can't believe the difference in such a short amount of time!

Edited by shekhina