Roo Meat - How Much To Feed

Guest kitakins

i know raw is best [would be a lot easier to prepare too and mum wont have a pink fit] but i have heard some pretty bad things on pet quality roo meat. are they just myths or is there some truth to it? perhaps i should ask the suppliers what they think?

i guess its about where you get the meat from. Good pet suppliers will sell good quality stuff, we've been feeding it for nearly 2 years not a single problem.

Problems arise when people cross contaminate the meat while in process, so usually quick crap jobs which allow the contents of digestive system to get in contact with the good meaty bits etc.

Best Idea is like you said, talk to your supplier they should know where they get theirs from.

my dog has been on "pets suppliers" roo mince and tails for nearly 2 years. in the morning, he gets a tail. at night, mince and vegies. it is the only thing he can eat without the world falling out of his hairy butt. i do add vitamins to his diet every day, however, as well as kelp and he can tolerate fish oil. he can also tolerate a spoonful of plain, natural yoghurt. i don't find his feeding routine any more or less difficult than the other dogs, who get mince, vegies and kibble at night and chicken wings in the morning.

i haven't seen any negative effect from the actual raw roo in the last 2 years. in fact, he's brimming with health - his coat is shiny and looks healthy (and he's Atopic, too). He hasn't required medication for the Atopy in over 18 months. Haven't even seen a sore on him. from what I can gather, the roo mince company basically packs it immediately and freezes it. they are located in osborne park in WA. PM me if you want the details because I can't remember them off the top of my head.

the only thing i will say is that it is really hard to put weight on the dog if they're on roo. our dog is probably 3-5kgs under-weight - certainly not enough to be unhealthy, but he does look "ribby." he is very active, however, and can run all day, so he's certainly not malnourished. the roo meat has excellent levels of iron and other necessities, and the tails give him the calcium he needs.

Guest kitakins

thats pets meat suppliers yeah? i know which one you mean. there is also a place called pets world in wangara, i will check them out too. so you havent found anything nasty in the roo meat? no worms? :lol: what vitamins and supplements do you add?

It's the stuff that comes in the pink plastic packaging. I have found it to be of good quality and never seen any nasties in it (of course, my eyes are not microscopes, but then, I wouldn't want to look at human-grade meat under a microscope either!).

Every night, to the vegies and mince (and kibble for the other two dogs) meal, I add a tablespoon of plain, natural yoghurt, one fish oil capsule (human grade, 1000mg), 1 teaspoon of powdered glucosamine, a piece of sushi nori (probably around 5cm x 5cm) and a children's vitamin pill (currently rasberry flavoured!). All my dogs weigh more than the minimum weight for the vitamin pill, so they're not getting an overdose of anything. I also add about 1/4 of water to each bowl, and the glucosamine dissolves in this. The whole dinner is then smushed up together so they can't pick out bits (not that they do).

Occasionally, I'll swap the mince for fish. Mine quite like the tinned salmon, so that's what they get. I tried whitebait, but they looked at me like I was crazy, so it ended up going to the marine fish instead!

Guest kitakins

just got back from getting some meat. i went to pets world and they didnt sell plain kangaroo mince. next stop was some random place. i left pretty much straight away. the shop was dark, dingey and smelt EXTREMELY bad. i could smell it before i even got to the door! i then went to pets meat suppliers and got what i wanted. they said i could feed it raw, no nasties etc. so thats all sorted!

Edited by kitakins

Hi - I have a shepherd and a mastiff, both have full on skin allergies. They get roo on a regular basis as I live in Mackay (lots of roo's near by). I have found the best dry food is SUPER COAT 'SENSITIVE' + a shampoo that I got from my vet (can't remember name but if you need I will get it). I also put in a couple of table spoons of sunflower oil in the dry food. Even my vet commented that he couldnt beleave how good shiny & healthy they looked. Roo meat is very strong in taste. Doz

just got back from getting some meat. i went to pets world and they didnt sell plain kangaroo mince. next stop was some random place. i left pretty much straight away. the shop was dark, dingey and smelt EXTREMELY bad. i could smell it before i even got to the door! i then went to pets meat suppliers and got what i wanted. they said i could feed it raw, no nasties etc. so thats all sorted!