Dry Dog Food

Thalion

I'm not a fan of Eukanuba, I'd recommend Nutro, Eagle Pack Holistic or Royal Canin. Advance is probably the best of the slightly cheaper brands. If you change your dog from Supercoat make sure that you do it gradually to minimise tummy upsets.

I don't like Supercoat at all, if you feed one of the super premium brands you will find that you use less and that your dog will be happier and healthier.

I am currently using Nutro and I'm very pleased with it.

There are many who simply wont feed supercoat, if you do a search you will find many a topic, here is one:

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...=85780&st=0.

We have been feeding Nutro Natural Choice for a number of years.

Whichever product you decide on have a good and thorough read of the ingredients list and the guaranteed analysis, look for chemical preservatives, animal-by products, corn and added colourants which you should try and avoid.

I've read a few times on this board that people won't feed their dogs Science Diet because of political reasons? Can someone elaborate on that?

Anyway I've tried Pro Plan and mine wasn't too into it, have now started on Royal Canin which he loves so I'll stick with that for a while.

I can get nutro up in Cairns, so you can get it anywhere :laugh: Just have to find someone to ship it to you if you're not in a distribution area. The prices are comparative to other super premium brands. You are paying more, but then, you're only feeding half as much. My 6kg lowchen only gets 1/2 cup per day and is doing superb on it.

I've read a few times on this board that people won't feed their dogs Science Diet because of political reasons? Can someone elaborate on that?

Anyway I've tried Pro Plan and mine wasn't too into it, have now started on Royal Canin which he loves so I'll stick with that for a while.

Belgavin,

I wont feed it because they support the RSPCA.

Miranda,

I wouldnt say advance is one of the cheaper brands... it is the same price as Eukanuba at $96.00 for a 15kg bag online.... or is there another brand of Advance that you are talking about?

Jacqui

Edited by bommy

I don't feed processed foods but if I did, I'd boycott HSD. Two reasons: the "food" is crap, and it's a major sponsor of the RSPCA. You should see the size of some of the shelter dogs' poos...huge is an understatement! :angel: What goes in - if not used by the dog - is shat out. The better the food, the smaller the poos. :laugh:

If you're after a decent processed food, try Eagle Pack, Nutro, Royal Canin, Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formulas, or Nutrience. All are good foods IMO. :cry:

Mine refuse to eat it :laugh: they go on a starvation diet but the horses liked it as treats

I always fed mine Euk but they went off it( think they changed it) tried supercoat and they got sickish and the coats went dull and there was a lot of cereal looking stuff in the bag, Royal Canin to get here you need to be rich so mine now get bonnie working dog super shiny coats and look great, but any other sort of bonnie and they get the poo's.

Miranda,

I wouldnt say advance is one of the cheaper brands... it is the same price as Eukanuba at $96.00 for a 15kg bag online.... or is there another brand of Advance that you are talking about?

Jacqui

You could be right bommy, they had it at the local produce store for $80 a couple of months ago but maybe it was on special. It was the regular formula, not the Energy, I actually thought about buying a bag, but I think it had meat by-products in it so I changed my mind :laugh:

Thanks Miranda, I was thinking there was another brand again..... I am soooo over trying different dog kibbles! Think I will stick with what I have now, though I ran into a guy the other day who was walking his Boxer around the lagoons at lunchtime... This dog looked fantastic, he was well toned, nice & solid, beautiful coat I asked teh guy what he feeds...

His reply, Just pal tins & dry food from the supermarket & a few eggs & sardines :thumbsup:...

I think i said your joking... and he assured me no that was it....

Man I wish it did that for my guys!!!!!

Hey :cry: Yes i had my puppy on optimum for awhile he wouldnt eat it when i made his main meal (lunch) up he would work his way around it or spit it out... he would only eat it at a snack at about 10ish at nite...... so now i have changed to royal canin and he loves it his coat is very shiny and he is in great nick also his stools i see abig diff in... he also eats it when i make his lunch up and thats just great i brought a 3kg bag of the mini in royal canin was about $35 but i reckon money well spent the bag should last me abit also....

Cheers :)

We buy Bonnie for our dogs, they like it, fairly cheap.. we have 4 Scottish Deerhounds so price IS a factor....

We supplement with other things of course...... mince beef, mince chicken, chicken necks, chicken frames, sardines ( once a week )

What about brands like Optimum and Purina? Does anyone know if they're worthwhile? I feed my cat those and his coat is very shiny.

I feed one of my boys Optimum & he has blossomed on it, by far he looks the best out of our 3 dogs (the other 2 are on Bonnie WD & Royal Canin Mini Junior). I am going to try our GSD on it as Im so impressed.

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it again because I just cant believe how fantastic his coat is & how great he looks :thumbsup: .

jarrah213-1.jpg

Edited by MrsD

Excellent! I bought some Optimum yesterday and hopefully it'll help my Greyhound who is underweight with dandruff and a poor coat. I had been feeding her Supercoat for a week but the amount of waste she was producing was incredible! About seven stools a day! Then I found a thread about Supercoat and realised others were having the same problem, so I won't be feeding her that anymore.

How much is Bonnie Working Dog? Where can it be purchased? I couldn't find it in the supermarket.

Excellent! I bought some Optimum yesterday and hopefully it'll help my Greyhound who is underweight with dandruff and a poor coat. I had been feeding her Supercoat for a week but the amount of waste she was producing was incredible! About seven stools a day! Then I found a thread about Supercoat and realised others were having the same problem, so I won't be feeding her that anymore.

How much is Bonnie Working Dog? Where can it be purchased? I couldn't find it in the supermarket.

Um, I tried my greyhound on BWD and others...all bad for her. The only processed food she did OK on, and just OK not brilliant, was Royal Canin. She and all my dogs are fed a raw, whole foods diet partly as a result of Lilly's troubles with the processed foods.

HTH. :)