Sheepdog Training Day In Vic

I hope so, i am coming from western burbs, think its going to take an hr 1/2 to 2 hrs to get there.

I am also going to make a camping trip out of it whlie i am up that way, and i got 3 dogs coming.

am leaving bright and early in the morning, so if i get there and then they council i won't be happy :thumbsup:

u will know who i am, we got a fully loaded hilux :thumbsup:

see ya tomorrow

sam

I reckon we would have been notified before now if it was going to be cancelled.

It just means in the hottest part of the day there will be more talking and less working of dogs.

Well did your day go ahead and how did you all enjoy it? report and pictures please

Cheers

I had a fantastic day, and did a video of the lady with the Aussie Shepherd, then was told I wasn't allowed to video. I learnt heaps and it was well worth it for a newbie like me. Tia was great. Learnt that she is supposed to bring the sheep to me and do sort of arcs. She did really well. She tried to sneak under the gate to get another go with the sheep. They rotated the sheep around. Tia did some balancing. She sat on the back of a sheep and wasn't worried about it. Well worth the $20.00. I had to leave early to go to work, but in the end didn't end up going. I need to teach her to sit before she starts herding. Also learnt about body language and pressure. I think Tia likes to work with distance and if I am just standing there with the sheep around me she drops as she figures her work is done. We had free time with the sheep in the afternoon, where I learnt much more.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

Hi guys

wow what a day :laugh: was really good.....

very tiring but plenty of good info :D

I think Cooper enjoyed him self too.

and we got to have ago at backing, but i lost cooper for a while as he fell under the sheep :D

we went on and went camping for the rest of the week end, Cooper slept pretty well that night ;)

only got back last night, do have some pics so when i get a chance to put them on the computor i will post a couple.

Hay......CrashTestDummy did you say you have a video of me and Cooper????

i would love to see it :laugh:

after you went home CTD they did a few demos of trails in the big yard, showing us how to pen them etc and also backing which was really good to see, very clever stuff :rofl:

cheers sam

Edited by wagalot

Yep I have a video of you and Cooper. I went on Sunday as well not as good as Saturday. Very different. If you want to send me $5.00 will send you a DVD with him on it. Don't want to put it up on Youtube after the presenter told me I wasn't allowed to video. Would have loved to video Tia on the sheeps back, or me working Tia by myself. Found at KCC park the yard was tiny and Tia likes to have distance so it was harder to get her to arc. But we got lots of oohhs and ahhs from the audience.

ok some pics as promised......

Cooper had a go at backing the sheep, which was fun

and a few pics in the round yard

I only manged to get a couple of pics (well my partner was taken the photos)

he didn't mange to take any of any one else either :)

Hay.....CrashTestDummyDid they give u a reason why you couldn't video type it :) seems a little odd ;)

Would be happy to get that video of you, as Leopuppy asked in the other thread.....r u going to the RSPCA walk???? if you r i might go and that way we can meet up and get it off you there (saves postage)

if not PM me your details and we can work out what to do from there ;)

cheers sam

post-5584-1173765698_thumb.jpg

post-5584-1173765780_thumb.jpg

post-5584-1173765847_thumb.jpg

post-5584-1173765914_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Glad you all had a great day, i enjoyed it too. It was great watching other people and seeing the different styles breeds have of working.

It was great meeting Wagalot, Superminty and CTD. Your dogs are all beautiful.

I dont know why videoing wasnt allowed :)

* warning brag alert *

Well, i just have to brag as i am soooooooo proud of my boy.

The next day we went in a yard trial. It was quite hard as the encourage level had to do the same course as the novice and open just with one gate removed. It was great and we loved the challenge!!

My dog worked like a pro and ended up coming equal first so there was a run off and we won on 95 points!!!!

I was so on top of the world and still am.

I just had to share ;)

Congrats :rofl: jesomil!! Can't wait til my boy grows a brain and we can get into trialling as well.

My arms are still sore... :love:

I really enjoyed the day - even though I was disappointed with his work early on, Cash came away brimming with confidence after the arvo stuff, particularly that work in the tiny yard - being such a big boy I though he'd struggle but he handles himself better the less room there is! Yard type perhaps?

Loved seeing Cooper, the first sheep-backing Aussie!

I'm gonna rope someone into taking photos for me next time so look out!

Hi guys,

My dog worked like a pro and ended up coming equal first so there was a run off and we won on 95 points!!!!

I was so on top of the world and still am.

I just had to share :rofl:

Absolutely fantastic and well done - we are doing our first yard trial at Easter and I am looking forward to the challenge - I hope it is as much fun as it sounds.

Cheers

Hi Superminty, Cash was great. He is an amazing looking dog. I have never seen such a huge Kelpie. I think my dog could have walked under him :rofl: .

Loved seeing Cooper, the first sheep-backing Aussie!

Was it the first backing Aussie, or the first tunnelling under Aussie :love:

Absolutely fantastic and well done - we are doing our first yard trial at Easter and I am looking forward to the challenge - I hope it is as much fun as it sounds.

Its really great fun. I have found the people involved to be extremely helpful and friendly which makes it all the more fun.

You will have to let us know how you go.

Its really great fun. I have found the people involved to be extremely helpful and friendly which makes it all the more fun.

You will have to let us know how you go.

Our guys in WA are very helpful too so I am looking forward to it - and Tex is pretty good in the yards at home so lets hope it translates. While I remember, did I mention to you guys that I finally got round to getting a new puppy last week?

Cheers

New Puppy !!!! Where are the photos???

Is it a border? Pups are so much fun!!

OK here are some photos of little Swagman Frankie - aged about six and a half weeks. He is a great little pup - pretty adventurous and alert but has already learned not to whine in his puppy pen where all good things happen. Also no accidents in the house for three days now - the little guy goes belting over to his patch when we let him out. He seems pretty clever (brigther than me anyway) and I am having lots of fun with him.

I am hoping he will work stock, given his bloodlines - for you WA people who know our dogs he is Swagman Clancy/Christies Tammy on the father's side and Wannapee Jess/Christies Polar on the mother's - both parents are young untried dogs but I saw the dam work and liked what I saw. He is related to my two - in fact Tex all of four years old is his great uncle.

No doubt I will be coming back with a million questions about starting pups in a few months time

Cheers

post-13964-1173930157_thumb.jpgpost-13964-1173930515_thumb.jpg[a

tachment=74122:attachment]post-13964-1173930561_thumb.jpg[atta

hment=74124:attachment]

post-13964-1173930535_thumb.jpg

post-13964-1173930581_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful baby you have. I love the photo with the cat.

Sounds like he is behaving perfectly for you. Looking forward to hearing how he goes.

I have a naughty little 6 month old who is just starting training. Lots of fun.

There were a couple of Borders at the yard trial i went to last weekend and they went well.