Flyball Dogs - Here Is The Team That Beat The Record

whatevah

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I would never worry about another dog thinking what Blair does. something is screwed up in his brain, normal dogs when something happens they get over it(some need a little more help then other depending on how bad the scare was) they have "bounce back" Blair does NOT, if something scares him even slightly he is petrified of it for life. the only reason we can stand living with his screwed up mind is because Electra seems to ease his mind when she is with him, and we have to take a lot of special precautions like if anyone is over he has to be kenneled as he gets so terrified he bits and bolts. if Leck is not with him at the dogpark he panics, bolts under the fence, then he's panics again because he has no clue where he is.

Edited by BCNTC

I have checked the link and it is down, but it wasn't down before. You have to be quick.

Shoemonster thats looking great.

Here is a plan that I used to teach Moses Swimmers turn. You put a jump in front of the box to get the legs up high. Today I made a perspex jump to put in front of the box, for Moses to remind him not to be lazy. This way the dog does not know if it there or not. Makes the dog jump higher on the box, I stole this idea from the team that has the record in Australia.

Here is a plan, to teach swimmers turn, you can substitue a pole for a cone. Teaches it in little steps.

http://www.k9station.com/turns2.htm

Just a thing about youtube, people can take your videos and put them in their blogs. I found one of Moses stealing a sock off my husbands foot in some guy's blog about sock fetishes, hilarious!!!

Here is the link to my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSbZqCDIFw and here is the site where it ended up

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...766a9cbf-e8b9-4

I wonder where Tia's sheep herding video will end up, probably with someone who has a sheep fetish in New Zealand

Edited by CrashTestDummy

Yeah we've been using a pole, he seems to be really using the board to run along now which is great

One of the instructors was talking about trying jumps in front of the box last week at training, it soulds like a good idea

Will he run to a tug? What I would do would be as soon as he has run around the pole, I would run the other way as fast as I could with my back to the dog to get more drive and speed. Another hint I found with the feet on the board is that is the dogs feet are a little wet, not soaking wet. You can then see where the feet have landed on the turning board. How high up they have landed. Its great you have someone to help you out. Someone has offerred me some classes at their house with Tia, which will be great when she is older.

A mistake I made with Moses is that he loves the ball so much that he will do the turn and stop on the box in the middle of the turn with the ball in his mouth and look across to the other lane, to see if the ball is still in that box.

Yeah we're working on a motivator for him, his biggest love is the ball, closely followed by food, going to have to work something out

He tends to run and bark at me when I run the other way (which I do at training but our backyard isn't big enough :eek: I can't wait til we move house)

Got lots more work to do on recall with stationary ball

Recall is good from the box unless there's a ball involved :eek: bit of a problem!!! :eek:

lol people always think "hey my dog loves tennis balls....he'd be great at flyball!" lol it drived me nuts, love of the ball only gets the dog halfway there, the most important part is comming back, but once they have the ball, why should they come back? :eek: this is why love of the tug is what we want, love f the ball does not need to exisit, a ball retrival can be trained, the tug is the reward NOT the ball lol

Happy is just my weird one who loves flyball and races her fastest not for a tug, not for a ball, she races for the sole reason of being competive. her reward is winning lol THAT is what makes her great, its does not matter who she is racing against, she will stare down her opponent, and run only fast enugh to beat her opponent. of coarse as a result I havent a clue how fast she can ACTUALLY run, only her fastest time she has had to run in order to win lol

Moses and Josh are exactly the same the ball is the highest motivator. But I search and found that Moses loves those toy rats. You could try one of those. I knew a staffy that loved a foot ball. With Josh at one club I wasn't allowed to throw a ball as a reward when he brought the ball back and as a result he was a 8 second dog. Switched clubs and they let me throw a ball the other way, and he sped up to being a 5.5 sec to 7.0 sec dog, huge improvement. But you cannot throw a ball the other way in a competition.

Thats great BCNTC. That hilarious that he just wants to win. I love it.

When I was training Moses, I did a fair bit of work on tug, but he still loved the ball. He would tug when a ball is not around but as soon as a ball appeared he wanted it. I think because he is a retriever, that is his favourite part the retrieve.

With Tia she just loves to tug. Much easier to teach her to tug than any of my other dogs. She will also tug even with food around. With Moses if he can sniff food forget about tugging. I did lot of different drills with him, but didn't really work until I discovered the rat.

This links works sometimes you just have to keep trying, but it is working 2 mins ago.

http://ravenscliffe.blip.tv/file/155252/

At one comp in Albury I saw this labrador ran to the box and then run over a jump and saw a ball left behind from the previous dog, it sat there for about 5 minutes juggling the ball, it eventually brought one back, was hilarious to watch, and nobody knew which ball it was that it brought back whether the one in the box or not.

Question for you BCNTC, I noticed that the couple of videos I have seen from the USA you don't tend to see many people yelling and running with their dogs towards the box, or is it that I haven't seen many videos. Whats the most common style of release?

Edited by CrashTestDummy

Oh thats funny I'd been thinking about using some type of fur thing for a reward as I know alot of staffords in the uk go nuts for a flirt pole with a fur end

Ed seems to really love to run fast over the jumps too, maybe he likes to win too :mad Just have to get that seconds motivation to get him to do the jumps once he picks up that ball! He's just mad on jumps, he loves to go fast over them!!! :)

Throwing a ball works for him, so I can use that until I find something else

Edited by shoemonster

Question for you BCNTC, I noticed that the couple of videos I have seen from the USA you don't tend to see many people yelling and running with their dogs towards the box, or is it that I haven't seen many videos. Whats the most common style of release?

in north america the average speed is much faster then in other places, we dont run up with our dogs because we havent got time. when you do see someone running up more then a couple steps with there dog its because the dog is green and needs little more guidence. Happys runs 3 second times and I start her from 30 feet, I havent got time to run forward with her, because I let her go, move 2 steps forward and she is already comming back so what I do is rush a few steps forward, scream her name and run like hell away from her. :mad Misty is green though and doesnt run quite so fast in a tourny setting, so she is started farther up, and I have time to run toward the box with her before running back, though to be honest, 4.6 seconds feels like a lifetime when your used to running and 3.8 second dog lol

as for the yelling? must be the videos, the people are noisier then the dogs most of the time lol

In our team we have one guy who runs right up to the start gate, makes my dogs slower on the return because all they see is a dog and handler blocking their exit. Your times are very fast. Here is a link of my ball obsessed dogs.

I am enjoying this nice friendly discussion.

Found this great flyball training page, has videos of turning methods etc, developing tug drive. http://bckennels.lunarpages.com/Turns.html

Edited by CrashTestDummy