Reducing Treats For Training

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe shoey! You need clothes with pockets and so do I! I think they stopped inventing them a while ago :rofl:. At the moment i'm wondering if I can ever trial in Summer as I have NO shorts that are fit to be seen dead in :rofl:.

With the food throwing - I found it REALLY increased his speed and motivation. You can also play a 'game' of who is going to get around first! That also increases speed!

BTW - did I ever mention that I LOVE Eddie?!?!?!!? can I steal him?? I know you live in Vic.... c'mon.... puh-lease?!?!?!?

I know - doesn't talking about training make you really motivated!

Bloss - Don't worry, I have/ had the same problem. Sometimes I take a step back and look at what i've been doing and realise i'm relying far too much on treats! You get better at fixing/recognising mistakes too! Howz your dog-hunting going? Has your hubby agreed on an Aussie yet?!?!

lol yeah I don't know what happened to things with pockets!

I do know before I got my dogs I wouldn't be caught dead in a vest with pockets though :rofl:

Hmm, Eddie, no way!!!! Why does everyone want my baby? I try to give Molly away but no one wants her :rofl:

Joke, poor Molls already has a complex!

Hmm, Eddie, no way!!!! Why does everyone want my baby? I try to give Molly away but no one wants her :rofl:

LOL - coz he is sooo cute and looks like SUCH a character!!!! I love Staffies simply because they seem to love life so much.... just like my Aussies :rofl:.... oh and the fact that Staffies tails NEVER stop wagging and are practically lethal!

Hi all :eek:

Id try using a motivator instead of food..Like a fav toy or a dirty sock !!

Have a play with you motivator so as they get excited then give you command and if you get the result you wanted then give them the motivator.

My dog was trained with a chunk of sheeps wool (straight off a sheep)he loved it , so no matter what i asked him to do he did it because he wanted to chew and lick the wool.

I hope this helps , goodluck with your training

Cheers Brock

lol yeah I don't know what happened to things with pockets!

So I'm not the only one who will only buy clothes with pockets. OH thinks I'm crazy I find the perfect pair of trackies and then won't buy them cos no pockets. I guess no pockets means no bulge at the hips. :eek: :D

My short term goal, to get out of the car at kcc and have him walk loose lead into the off lead area :D

Pretty basic requirement. Nevertheless..........

As you invited me back here I am :eek:

Slow down the think of a moment, LIKE WE ALL TRY TO DO. For example, before hopping in your vehicle at home, do you do a little obedience, heeling and so forth, rewarding for excellent responses. His reward thus hopping in your car. Before hopping in the vehicle, ask him to sit and wait, till you allow him to jump into your vehicle. Upon arrival, do you command your dog to sit, before exiting the vehicle, do a short heeling pattern close to the car, so if he does not obey, put him back and start again. Take every opportunity available. etc etc etc etc etc.

Bloss - Don't worry, I have/ had the same problem. Sometimes I take a step back and look at what i've been doing and realise i'm relying far too much on treats! You get better at fixing/recognising mistakes too! Howz your dog-hunting going? Has your hubby agreed on an Aussie yet?!?!

I'm doing the instructors course at dog club so I'm becoming very, very aware of what I'm doing and why Bob does certain things. I've been having so many light bulb moments in regards to what I've been doing.

We have pretty much settled on Golden Retriever and Aussie. I threw Standard Poodle into the mix as well but he's not so keen. Now, to start looking at individual dogs. :eek:

I'm doing the instructors course at dog club so I'm becoming very, very aware of what I'm doing and why Bob does certain things. I've been having so many light bulb moments in regards to what I've been doing.

We have pretty much settled on Golden Retriever and Aussie. I threw Standard Poodle into the mix as well but he's not so keen. Now, to start looking at individual dogs. :eek:

so pleased to hear that you are doing the course Bloss. Good choices with breeds too! As for helping you look at individual dogs..... here you go - look but don't touch :D

Pretty basic requirement. Nevertheless..........

As you invited me back here I am :)

Slow down the think of a moment, LIKE WE ALL TRY TO DO. For example, before hopping in your vehicle at home, do you do a little obedience, heeling and so forth, rewarding for excellent responses. His reward thus hopping in your car. Before hopping in the vehicle, ask him to sit and wait, till you allow him to jump into your vehicle. Upon arrival, do you command your dog to sit, before exiting the vehicle, do a short heeling pattern close to the car, so if he does not obey, put him back and start again. Take every opportunity available. etc etc etc etc etc.

Ok, I will start that stuff, he's quite a calm dog in relation to gettign in the car and getting out, he will wait til I ask him to get out is most situations

Once he's on the ground and sees the offlead area it's time for maniac Ed, so I will definitely go for the heeling after getting out of the car, etc, and then his reward will be being let off in the area

I also got my orbee last night so will be using that as a motivator too, which will be great

I can see Molly being very responsive to a dirty sock, though the only smelly ones are OH's and I don't touch them if I can help it! She will go nuts for anything she thinks she's not allowed to have!

I can see Molly being very responsive to a dirty sock, though the only smelly ones are OH's and I don't touch them if I can help it! She will go nuts for anything she thinks she's not allowed to have!

I aim for my dogs satisfaction to be achieved through my requirements. But I do understand, one of my youngsters, still, to this day wants to retrieve and carry at all times. He is slowly becoming better, but when he sleeps outside in his pen, and I let him out..............he is in an absolute frenzy.