Not Sure If Normal Behavour

mandy

Hi, I have a 8mth old female Jack Rusell, who doesnt like to be patted or strocked. Scrapes out all the water in her water bowl and trieds to eat the waves she creates. Runs around in cirlces chasing and growling at her tail.( she doesnt have fleas). Just to name a few things. Please help

Hi, I'm really interested to see the answers to this as well - my 9 week old Jap nSpitz is the same, except he loves to be petted, at least when he wants it.

We have a theory with the water thing though - we have a stainless steel bowl, and we think that he might be playing with the "other puppy" :thumbsup: I'd love to hear what others might think about this??

The behaviours of themselves sound quite normal. What might not be normal is how often and for how long your dog does them. Dogs can develop obesessive/compulsive behaviour.

I have two water bowl diggers and a tail chaser in my poodle tribe. However the behaviour isn't prolonged.

How much exercise/training do you give your JRT?

The behaviours of themselves sound quite normal. What might not be normal is how often and for how long your dog does them. Dogs can develop obesessive/compulsive behaviour.

I have two water bowl diggers and a tail chaser in my poodle tribe. However the behaviour isn't prolonged.

How much exercise/training do you give your JRT?

I have to say she doesnt get out that much however she does have the company of another JR he is 8 years old and they run around our large back yard full pelt its great to watch em. I find with the water bowl thing it seems to happen more when we go outside and take notice of her more then when we arnt watching, same as the tail chasing.

Hi, I'm really interested to see the answers to this as well - my 9 week old Jap nSpitz is the same, except he loves to be petted, at least when he wants it.

We have a theory with the water thing though - we have a stainless steel bowl, and we think that he might be playing with the "other puppy" :thumbsup: I'd love to hear what others might think about this??

Our water bowl is plastic and she does it until there is no more water, however she seems to do it more when your lookn than when your not

I think more physical and mental stimulation would definitely assist with preventing the behaviour from becoming obsessive. Give her other things to focus on.

What ever you do, don't inadvertantly encourage it. I'd suggest you distract her from it when you see it and don't allow it to continue.

Is the water bowl a single source of water for her? Adding a large rock can stop her from emptying it.

In my limited experience, dogs who do the digging/catching and tail chasing behavior can have very high prey drive...you might have a future JRT racing dog on your hands.

I think more physical and mental stimulation would definitely assist with preventing the behaviour from becoming obsessive. Give her other things to focus on.

What ever you do, don't inadvertantly encourage it. I'd suggest you distract her from it when you see it and don't allow it to continue.

Is the water bowl a single source of water for her? Adding a large rock can stop her from emptying it.

In my limited experience, dogs who do the digging/catching and tail chasing behavior can have very high prey drive...you might have a future JRT racing dog on your hands.

Im sorry wht is a JRT ?

JRT = Jack Russell Terrier

Some of the state JRT clubs hold races and earth dog trials for dogs. As you have a dog bred to be on the go much of the day hunting vermin, its best to give her outlets for all that energy... Flyball and Agility are other options.

Some of the state JRT clubs hold races and earth dog trials for dogs. As you have a dog bred to be on the go much of the day hunting vermin, its best to give her outlets for all that energy... Flyball and Agility are other options.

yes you may be right there. We have recently adopted ourselves a 13 week old kitten which im sure the puppy thinks is vermin, she reacts quite odley high pitch barking, jumping at the window, I dont trust her with it, however she loves our older cat to bits, licks her and waggs her tail, more than she does us really.

yes you may be right there. We have recently adopted ourselves a 13 week old kitten which im sure the puppy thinks is vermin, she reacts quite odley high pitch barking, jumping at the window, I dont trust her with it, however she loves our older cat to bits, licks her and waggs her tail, more than she does us really.

If you want more focus and attention from your dog, then you need to do more with her than cohabitate. Obedience training assists by building bonds of leadership and trust with your dog.

You own a breed that was selectively bred over generations to be able to go out, hunt and kill vermin independently of direction from man. Most JRTs I know are little dynamos. Training and dog sports channel all that energy positively rather than having dogs develop their own amusements.

Get her out walking and take her to a good dog trainer... you'll get all kind of assistance including how to teach her to enjoy being handled.

. Scrapes out all the water in her water bowl and trieds to eat the waves she creates.

I have a Great Dane who does this, and gee it makes a hell of a mess :eek:

Yes I agree and also scary to think in a 40 degree day she may of dug all the water out. Have put other containers around but she does the same to all of them

. Scrapes out all the water in her water bowl and trieds to eat the waves she creates.

I have a Great Dane who does this, and gee it makes a hell of a mess :eek:

Yes I agree and also scary to think in a 40 degree day she may of dug all the water out. Have put other containers around but she does the same to all of them

Maybe she would like a clam shell paddle pool, she may use that instead of her bowls?

I have a Great Dane who does this, and gee it makes a hell of a mess ;)

I had the same problem with my bullmastiffs. I solved the problem by buying one of those clamshell pools and since then they haven't touched their water bowl and spend all their time playing in the pool. :thumbsup:

ETA: woopsies, should have read the whole thread before replying. You beat me to it sway :rofl:

Edited by rockhard_mastiffs