Sardines - How Often

With my large dogs they get a tin of sardines in with their food daily.

With my last old boy who had severe arthritis, he had a tin daily as well as fish oil and all the other anti inflammatory supplements as well as prescription drugs.

Answering my own question, I give 1 tin sardines a day with their dinner, which is chicken necks or frames, and 1 fish oil capsule, but am worried as have heard they are very high in salt?

They mainly have it for coat, but Ed also as he fractured his paw as a pup and they thought he may get arthritic in there as well

Kaz, your would be with other food I guess, as the bigguns would have a fairly large food intake?

Edited by shoemonster

Thanks NAO, what are the benefits of flaxseed oil? Similar to the other oils? For coat and joint relief?

Omega 3 & 6 - basically the same as the fish oil tabs - for joint and skin/coat benefits...I just like to be different. :cheer: Seriously, given the speedy metabolism of the greyhounds, I was a little worried that the capsules might move through the system too quickly for them to get maximum benefit. No basis for that theory, I was just thinking about it one day and decided to switch to the oil. :laugh:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Mine have sardines in oil 3-4 times a week BUT that is 2 tins spread throughout enough food for 8-10 dogs so probably equates to 1 tin per dog per week.

Gracie has Sprint Oil (2 capfuls) each day to try to help with her mange (is that the flax oil you're talking about NAO?).

Both my greys (26kg & 36kg) get a slurp of Melrose cold pressed flaxseed every morning.

Tinned sardines rarely now. Their coats are very soft and silky as opposed to "hairy".

Fosters who usually have dry rough coats get the a bigger slurp of flaxseed and sardines a couple of times a week.

annieK

Edited by anniek

Answering my own question, I give 1 tin sardines a day with their dinner, which is chicken necks or frames, and 1 fish oil capsule, but am worried as have heard they are very high in salt?

They mainly have it for coat, but Ed also as he fractured his paw as a pup and they thought he may get arthritic in there as well

Kaz, your would be with other food I guess, as the bigguns would have a fairly large food intake?

Yes, mine have it on top of royal canin dry food. I've checked with a couple of vets that it was ok to feed this often but they seemed to think it was fine.

One dog had arthritis, one dog has hip dysplacia and I figure my dane needs all the joint support he can get.

mine get sardines in oil 2 sometimes 3 times per week.. on dry ( eaglepack or nutrience).. other days ..frames wings... or whatever other meat is going .. i probably wouldnt feed them every day as i have heard to much fish isnt good also the salt content would worry me.. used to feed fish oil caps but they just played with them so i stopped and think the sardines is enough..

Both my greys (26kg & 36kg) get a slurp of Melrose cold pressed flaxseed every morning.

Yeah, that's the same stuff I've been using. It has definitely improved their coats, although my primary reason for giving it is for the joint health benefits.

NAO - it is also a good "allrounder" for heart health, circulation and all sorts of things.

Us humans get the odd slurp in the tomato salad too :cheer:

annieK