Lethargic Puppy

samoyedman

My Samoyed is average weight/size for his age. He's almost 5 months in a few days and has always had a fairly placid nature. He hardly chews anything, has dug a couple of holes in and out of the garden but nothing major and isn't much of a barker.

Since being fully vaccinated I take him on short walks of about 10-15 minutes duration which he seems to cope with ok. He is a vigorous walker and like most pups wants to meet/chase every person/dog he sees. He plays in the yard by himself maybe 20 minutes a day, sometimes with me as well. He used to have "hyper" mode where he'd run round and round at frantic speed to use up all his energy but this seems to happen less and less.

He still has lots of energy but I would say he's sleeping up to 16 hours a day!

His physical growth has been absolutely staggering. In the 3 months I've had him, he has close to trebled in weight and size. I read somewhere pups grow while sleeping so could this explain why he sleeps so much?

He's eating fine and seems perfectly healthy, but boy can he sleeeeep!! :mad

If you are worried, take him to the vet

My Bull Terrier sleeps ALL the time!

He settled on the lounge about 7 last night, he got up at 7am, went to the loo, had breakfast, and is now back asleep, and will stay there until i move him

The Stafford, well, she bounces off the walls ALL the time!!

SM - You might notice that your boy has his "zoomies" either early in the morning or in the early evening, and spends the rest of the day sleeping. My boy got into this habit when he was a pup. You couldn't get a peep out of him during the day, but once the sun start going down he was all GO GO GO! :eek:

Dunno whether all dogs are like this, but that was my experience.

SM - You might notice that your boy has his "zoomies" either early in the morning or in the early evening, and spends the rest of the day sleeping. My boy got into this habit when he was a pup. You couldn't get a peep out of him during the day, but once the sun start going down he was all GO GO GO! :eek:

Dunno whether all dogs are like this, but that was my experience.

Yep usually early evening with the zoomies and sometimes on walks too which is really annoying. :)

my 2 sleep prob around 18 hrs a day - get hyper in the morning when i get up and when i get home from work for about 45 mins then sleep all the rest of the time :laugh:

sometimes they play with each other at other times but not as full on - yep also the heat/humidity really takes the energy out of them :rofl:

My 6 month old sleeps most of the day and spends the rest either looking for food, something to destroy (with the able help of her 12 week old buddy), or just running rampant. Friend who is a vet says sometimes humdity can make them a little sleepy to at this time of the year (just like some humans). The girls were up at 5.30 and are now off chasing rabbits in their REM, the should arouse for the arrival of the postman and then back to zzzzzzz until the 5 year old wants to play in the yard.

If you are worried take it to the vet.