Barking To Come Inside

bridged

Shes inside most of the time when Im at home so preety much from 5 or 6 on weeknights till 9or 10 then she goes outside to bed. She doesnt mind going outside when its bed time and knows when the lights are off its not worth waisting her breath.

She's about 4 months old now

Briged, notice how you said once its Dark she does not do it, as she knows its a waste of time.Thats the key.Daylight of course is different of course as you have unknowingly taught her the Habit that now is a Problem.She soon learnt,She barks at the Door and you come running!!!Now to break this habit your are going to have to initally put up with some Barking.you are going to have to ignore her more than you have so far.Let her Bark and Bark and ignore her.When she settles and has been quite, then go to the Door.You have to now link the reward to being quite and not to Barking. Tonymc

Offer her a reward when shes quiet and wants to come inside. Thats what I've done with my puppy. It sometimes takes careful timing because they get so excited and start barking again.

Indeed, I have the opposite problem...knowing when he wants to go out...somtimes he stands at the door, whines, looks at me and then wont go out! I ignored this once then he started to pee inside :rofl:

I'm thinking of installing a little bell inside the door and teaching him what it means. :rofl:

Edited by samoyedman

uh, not sure if this will help, only work for glass doors though.

Can she see you from outside when she barks? If she can see you, remember don't make any eye contact. The moment she barks, you leave the room so she can't see you.

I have to leave my dog outside sometimes for short periods when I need to vacuum etc, and she can see me from the glass door. What I do is, the moment my pup whinges (she don't bark much), I turn my back. The more she whinge the further I walk away, finally dissappearing from her sight. If she's all good minding her own business, I wave to her and sometimes go out and give her a treat.

We have two glass sliding doors and my rottie pup went nuts at them when he was outside.

Firstly make sure his environment outside is enriched with nice toys so that outside isn't so bad after all.

Then we put him outside for short spells but staying in the room where he could see us. When he started going mad at the door, we ignored him, we didn't look at him and left the room. (and hid around the corner)

Once he had a second of being quiet, we opened the door and let him in.

The next time he did it, we repeated what we did. After about 3 go's at this, he figured out that a) we are not goiong anywhere we were just in the house, b) oh, I have toys out here so I'll play with them, and c) if I sit quiet, the door will open.

Now he is 10 weeks, when he wants to come in, I say sit and wait until he does that before letting him in.

Try banging on the door or a window (make a loud sound) at the moment the dog/pup barks.

Ermm. I really don't think that will solve the problem since the pup is barking for attention. Banging on the window or door will certainly give him that.

Our pup is fed quite early Monday to Friday before we head to work, so every Sat and Sunday at 6am on the dot - i swear she has a clock in her kennel - she barks. "Where's my breaky ma... !!" We just ignore her. Dogs over time will eventually get used to your routine. Growing up we had a dog that my dad would walk the same way Monday to Sat but would change on Sundays and the dog eventually knew on Sunday which way to go. We are pretty lucky as Lily is not very noisy but on weekends we do make an effort to pop her out with her toys while we do some house work. She needs to get used to being outside when we are home aswell as when we are not.

But when she is outside we don't make eye contact and she is only let in once she is quiet...

Try banging on the door or a window (make a loud sound) at the moment the dog/pup barks.

Ermm. I really don't think that will solve the problem since the pup is barking for attention. Banging on the window or door will certainly give him that.

Banging does give the dog attention, but not the desired attention. The dog is seeking love and assurance! They don't get this with the bang, all you do is bang and go back to what your doing. I've done this with 3 dogs now (1 border collie and 2 toy poodles) and it has worked wonders for me, not even a scratch at the bathroom door any more!

We've had the same problem before. Now its slowly going away

We ignore our boxer until he is quiet. We tell him to sit as well. He aint coming into the house unless he listens to us. NILIF...nothing in life is free. Thats a training thing you should follow.

Its gotten to the point now that we have to look at him a certain way and he will sit down quietly at the door. When we open the door we tell him to wait and most time he wont actually come in until he hears us say "enter".

Its takes time. Its all about conditioning. Start of slowly. Make the dog be quiet first. Use treats if it has a good food drive.

Dont let the dog in the house until they do something for you like sit or drop or another command.

If you want you can also teach them the enter command or somehting similar.

Persistance and constancy is the key to all this work