Obiedience Trialing Clubs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obiedience trial is a form of comeptition where the dog is required to perform certain sets of excercises in order to get a pass.

3 passes in a certain category and the dog earns the title. These are the CD, CDX, UD etc titles.

For a CD the dog must do (in a very short description) a heel free in varius paces, with a sit, drop, stand.

A recall off lead, a sit and a drop stay for max 3 miutes in presence of other dogs 1m away, a stand for exam, a change of position at the distance (stand to a drop) or a retrieve on flat.

Are you now interested Kisma? :D

Edited by myszka

Cant say what happends in Springwood, but most of the training clubs I have been to have a handfull of people that train for competition levels. Hence I wouldnt call them a TRAILLING club.

Yes its obiedience training the differences come into place that the pet owner that isnt interested in trailiing ithe dog doesnt care that the dog is sitting crooked next to the handler, that it drops the retrieving object at the handlers feet, that it drops on a sit stay (auto fail in the comp)

Ob trials are about preciseness of excercises, especailly if you dont just want to pass but win some awards.

I was actually thinking of joining the club next year after the xmas break.

I wish we lived closer we could go together.......

Thanks for the explanation, It all makes sense now.

I'll email the club and see what they say about trialing, whether there is much interest there.

Another question a bit OT. With obedience clubs, do they have a certain "way" that they train for example: as you know I like to train in drive, would I still be able to do that? I don't want to train in a food exchage situation.

I trhink training at the club would be good for distraction.

What's stopping you from moving up here anyway????

A ball might not be viewed favourably in class as it distracts other dogs, so you need to be aware of this.

Apart from the club where I instruct Im yet to find the club that would let me train the way I want.

Each person has different methods, and you might not agree with them, I had to disagree with an instructor at the rottie club training last night, but I havent altered anything I was doing just becouse an instructor told me to do so.

At Sutherland where I used to go there was a large variety of people with a variety of mathods, so youd get one week a clicker person an antoher day a chack chain correction person. But once you know what you want to do and you have the guts to refuse something or disagree than you will be fine.

I go to class at my club for the distactions. If I instruct and I do stays I get my dog out of the car and do a stay as well.

What stops me moving to the BM? distance from my place of employment, the cold weather, the lack of beaches near by........ and do you have a golf course next door that I cant train on every night? :D

Most clubs have a certain way that they prefer to train, and instruct accordingly. My club allows me to do things differently to the way they do it, but I do get some strange looks and exasperation from some of the instructors. Spitting food for example :laugh: and for some reason they thought a restrained recall was strange :D Most that I have been to use food primarily, and encourage toys etc. I think this is because food is easier to instruct for and not many people know how to train in drive properly.

A restrained recall is where someone holds the dog while you move away from the dog, and when you have the dog keen to get to you, you call the dog and the restraining person lets the dog go. Builds up speed and enthusiasm nicely :laugh: I did it for a while with Diesel to help with speed. I still sometimes do it with Kaos. They thought I was mad :D because I was not doing the usual OB recall of sit-stay-come. Unfortunately it requires two people though.

I use the restrained recall for a few things now. I use it to teach the tunnel and weaves in agility as well as recall in general, and when teaching the send-away for agility I restrain the dog before letting him go to the target. Also one of the ways I am trying to speed up Diesel's retrieve.

They do break for summer, next week I think is the last week, but they don't break for long, can't remember dates but sometime in Jan.

Will we see you there next year? :laugh: Though you will have to watch what equipment you have on - I don't think they will be that tolerant.

I do the restrained recall all the time than :D when I take people in class.

You might see me in class, and I know about the equipement, what a shame, but hopefully I wont need anything else than a martingale by than.

Email me the details pls Kavik and how about this lunch finally eventuating?? Should have done it today its Wednesday after all!

A ball might not be viewed favourably in class as it distracts other dogs, so you need to be aware of this.

Apart from the club where I instruct Im yet to find the club that would let me train the way I want.

Each person has different methods, and you might not agree with them, I had to disagree with an instructor at the rottie club training last night, but I havent altered anything I was doing just becouse an instructor told me to do so.

At Sutherland where I used to go there was a large variety of people with a variety of mathods, so youd get one week a clicker person an antoher day a chack chain correction person. But once you know what you want to do and you have the guts to refuse something or disagree than you will be fine.

I go to class at my club for the distactions. If I instruct and I do stays I get my dog out of the car and do a stay as well.

See this is where I get aprehensive about training clubs. Me and my dog love the way we train we have a ball............literealy :laugh: I don't want or need to change what we do but would love to add the distraction. And there are things I just will not do with my dog like choker chain, food exchange or anything that may lower her drive.

I can just see it now I'll turn up , only having done a few weeks of obedience 12 years ago (It wasn't really for us) and coming across all arrogant refusing to do half of what they tell me. I think I'll go along and watch a couple of nights before I join up.

What stops me moving to the BM? distance from my place of employment, the cold weather, the lack of beaches near by........ and do you have a golf course next door that I cant train on every night?

The travel to work is tough, it's not that cold, we have rock pools, maybe not a golf corse but a really nice 7km nature track that actually allows dogs. :D

Most clubs have a certain way that they prefer to train, and instruct accordingly. My club allows me to do things differently to the way they do it, but I do get some strange looks and exasperation from some of the instructors. Spitting food for example :laugh: and for some reason they thought a restrained recall was strange :D Most that I have been to use food primarily, and encourage toys etc. I think this is because food is easier to instruct for and not many people know how to train in drive properly.

Toys are good. The "out" is coming along so I might be able to do it. :laugh:

Kisma - being an instructor I can see the point of people getting upset by another dogs ball.

Picture a class of Ziggys and everyone with balls at the same time, half of them not focused enough and suddenly wanting other dogs toy.

It can all be done, I encourage people to bring toys to my class and some do, I just give everyone more space.

And I guess we will just have to join Kavik at her club........ at least we will be "cleiquey" enough to stand the ground on the weirdness of our ways.

I refuse to do some excercises and I never had a prob with someone refusing to do something when I had a class.

I trust people to know their dog better than I do.

Have emailed you myszka :laugh:

I have stopped being bothered by people thinking I am weird when dog training :D Sometimes I go off and do my own thing instead of going in class - I did some random heeling out of class when Diesel's attention needed perking up, do my retrieving as well as my send aways and contact training with Kaos (don't take him in class much at all). Some other people do their own thing. As long as you aren't interfering with others they don't have a problem. They may think you are weird though :laugh:

If only Kaviks training was mid week then I could go on my way home :D

From Kaviks emial!!!

Western Suburbs Dog Training Club. They train at Bressington Park, Homebush on 7:30 - 8:30ish Tuesday evenings

Yesssssssssss, lets do it!!

hmmm that sounds pretty good. I'll still check springwood out because it's sooooo close to me. I just have to check that it doesn't clash with next years guitar lessons but I think they're on thursday evenings and sprinwood train on thursdays..... I could drive to work once a week.