Puppy Biting Spray

squirt80

Hi all,

My puppy likes to play bite and is a real chewer she is getting better (biting softer now) but I really want to discourge her from doing it. At the pet shop today (was buying her some treats and shampoo) I noticed a Puppy training spray which you spray on your hands or anything you don't want them to bite can be used on cords and furniture etc. It says it tastes unpleasent which discourages them from biting or mouthing what ever you sprayed again. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it or thought it was an Ok thing to use. I have tried yelping and time out but she does not respond to it she comes back just as hard after a couple of minutes. I didn't buy it cause I was unsure about it, but I definatly considered it . What do you think ?????

Hi all,

My puppy likes to play bite and is a real chewer she is getting better (biting softer now) but I really want to discourge her from doing it. At the pet shop today (was buying her some treats and shampoo) I noticed a Puppy training spray which you spray on your hands or anything you don't want them to bite can be used on cords and furniture etc. It says it tastes unpleasent which discourages them from biting or mouthing what ever you sprayed again. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it or thought it was an Ok thing to use. I have tried yelping and time out but she does not respond to it she comes back just as hard after a couple of minutes. I didn't buy it cause I was unsure about it, but I definatly considered it . What do you think ?????

I have used it, works great, sam has stopped mouthing and biting, only took a day ha ha, if u spray it on your hands lick your finger or top of your hand (preferably before the dog has :rofl:) and you will know how bad it tastes ha ha.

I have used it, works great, sam has stopped mouthing and biting, only took a day ha ha, if u spray it on your hands lick your finger or top of your hand (preferably before the dog has :laugh:) and you will know how bad it tastes ha ha.

Thanks Flying Penguin,

I bought some yesterday and your right taste foul LOL, I have sprayed my hands, feet and some furniture with it. Unfortunalty she licked it straight off my feet LOL , but then she hasn't tried to bite them again so maybe that is a start. Thanks

I have used it, works great, sam has stopped mouthing and biting, only took a day ha ha, if u spray it on your hands lick your finger or top of your hand (preferably before the dog has :laugh:) and you will know how bad it tastes ha ha.

Thanks Flying Penguin,

I bought some yesterday and your right taste foul LOL, I have sprayed my hands, feet and some furniture with it. Unfortunalty she licked it straight off my feet LOL , but then she hasn't tried to bite them again so maybe that is a start. Thanks

Thats cool, sam did the same at first then didnt go and bite anything with it on :laugh:

I haven't had to spray it again she has not bitten skin since she licked it all off my feet funny that!!!, cause it really does taste awful I have noticed though that now she is starting to go for clothing insted but at least that doesn't hurt a loud ahah is working with her now and she lets go. I think it worked cause as I said she has stopped biting skin but then when she licked it all off she didn't seem that bothered by it :laugh: . Anyway If you are having a puppy biting problem it may be worth a try!!![

post-10516-1165037983_thumb.jpg

Edited by squirt80

you are a grown human being. If you leave your hands there they will get munched.

As soon as she nips stand up and walk off. If mine got really uncontrollabel I grabbed her by the scruff, gave her a gruff NO and put her in time out until she settled. Save your money, work on leadership not gimmicks.

you are a grown human being. If you leave your hands there they will get munched.

As soon as she nips stand up and walk off. If mine got really uncontrollabel I grabbed her by the scruff, gave her a gruff NO and put her in time out until she settled. Save your money, work on leadership not gimmicks.

edited cause I don't want to be rude

Edited by squirt80

sorry if I came across a bit short. I didnt read what you wrote before the edit, but dont worry about being rude to me ;)

All I mean is that things like sprays and the such dont cure the problem. Deterring the pup doesnt neccesarily show leadership. I stopped my pups and showed them that I found that unacceptable and not to do it. You are seeing that the pup is reacting to you saying 'uhuh'. That is YOU doing all the good leadership work, and the pup is respecting you. No money or spray can do that. Great work! :laugh:

sorry if I came across a bit short. I didnt read what you wrote before the edit, but dont worry about being rude to me ;)

All I mean is that things like sprays and the such dont cure the problem. Deterring the pup doesnt neccesarily show leadership. I stopped my pups and showed them that I found that unacceptable and not to do it. You are seeing that the pup is reacting to you saying 'uhuh'. That is YOU doing all the good leadership work, and the pup is respecting you. No money or spray can do that. Great work! :thumbsup:

Thanks Nekbet, She is learning