Tick Paralysis Pat Colby

Pepr

sorry but who is pat colby?

as veteren emergency & critical care and oncology vet nurse i have seen hundreds of tick cases of varying severity and i have never heard of vit c as a treatment for it. the ticks produce a toxin and that toxin has to be reversed....unless the vit c is used as a supplement!?!?

i wouldn't rely on vit c as a treatment for tick paralysis....

Adelaide Zoo uses vitamin c for snakebite - don't see why it wouldn't work on tick poisoning.

Pat Coleby has written some excellent books on natural animal care - we use a lot of her stuff for our horses, and have done for over a decade. Have never disagreed with anything she has written - she is quite a legend in her field.

Vitamin C has been used to detoxify in various situations - don't suppose you have seen it used to bring animals or people out of anaesthetic without grogginess or vomiting either, but it works.

I would not hesitate to use Vit C on an animal with a tick, or bitten by a snake.

But, I would also take the animal immediately to the vet. There are a lot of variables - toxicity of the tick, site the tick is lodged in, paralysis, susceptibility of the animal.

As far as I am aware, there have been no scientific tests done which establish that Vit C is effective in treatment of ticks. I have read Pat Coleby's books, and was particularly interested in snake bites and dogs. However, again, there are a lot of variables.

Perhaps the animal would have recovered without any treatment - some do.

I think what she has to say is excellent, and as Morgan says, the information on feeding horses is spot on, I think.

Any animal here with a tick has had injectible Vit C. The cat dragged itself in at 1am - hindlegs paralysed, and lost her voice. I injected with 5m of vit. c. I was unable to raise a vet, so left her until 5am. She looked better, so I injected another 5m of Vit c. By lunchtime she had nearly recovered. By night she was fine.

Would she have recovered anyow? I have no idea, but I think not. In fact, I thought she would be worse at 5am!!

However, there is always the problem of side effects of ticks - such as inhalation pneumonia etc. and the animal is better at the vets.

Thankyou all for your comments & advice.

I wanted to see if anyone had success or tried this method, as I have used Vit C on a dog with tick paralyasis before, at the time I spoke with Pat Colby herself for instructions, (the dog survived) he had been completely paralised but recovered slowly.

I was recommended Pat Colby & Vit C by someone who was told by a vet that her dog would not survive another dose of antiserum, her dog survived as well.

If it works with success I wondered why it was not more commonly used or at least tested for success.

Just curious where do you buy this injectible vit c? Is it only from your vet? How do you store it??? How long can it be stored for??? Is it injected under the skin or in the muscle or via the mouth????

Just thought this might be a good idea to keep some handy that way i could use it till i could get to my vet.

Mel

Edited by Pitchick

We buy a bottle of injectible vitamin c every spring from the produce store for about $12, and keep it in the fridge, in case of snakebite or any serious diarrhea/health problem (no ticks where we are).

The idea is that if you haven't used it by the end of summer, you chuck it out and get a fresh one the next spring in time for snake/tick season. Very cheap insurance at $12 a bottle! :cheer:

An animal in shock from being poisoned is too ill to be able to digest tablets and absorb the vit c, the injectable gets it into the bloodstream immediately where it can go straight to work.

Tablets are also full of fillers, binders, colours etc, which is the last thing a very sick animal needs. Of course if it is an emergency you could try syringing vit c powder dissolved in water down the throat on the way to the vet, but injectable is the way to go.

Ok but does it work quicker orally or intra muscular???

It works better muscualar, not painful if you know how to give an injection

I learnt real quick with my parvo pups and they both survived at 9 weeks.

Produce shop here sells it too

We buy a bottle of injectible vitamin c every spring from the produce store for about $12, and keep it in the fridge, in case of snakebite or any serious diarrhea/health problem (no ticks where we are).

The idea is that if you haven't used it by the end of summer, you chuck it out and get a fresh one the next spring in time for snake/tick season. Very cheap insurance at $12 a bottle! :rofl:

OMG I didn't know I could get that!! Brilliant!! What do you mean by "produce" store?...what sort of outlet? Where would you suggest that I look for it in Sydney (city/suburban) please??

Thank you very much.

UP

(What a worry that the only person who's unaware of this powerful simple detoxer is an emergency veterinary nurse - the very person who needs to know more than anyone else. Mind you, I've heard of medical texts which make no mention of it - huge thick text books with zero references to Vitamin C / Ascorbate!!! Can you imagine?! - the most ubiquitous, essential, life supporting/saving nutrient, and our young 'medical' professionals are being taught precisely nothing about it. Unbelievable.)

(What a worry that the only person who's unaware of this powerful simple detoxer is an emergency veterinary nurse - the very person who needs to know more than anyone else. Mind you, I've heard of medical texts which make no mention of it - huge thick text books with zero references to Vitamin C / Ascorbate!!! Can you imagine?! - the most ubiquitous, essential, life supporting/saving nutrient, and our young 'medical' professionals are being taught precisely nothing about it. Unbelievable.)

Most people are unaware of the uses of vitamin c, despite the research of Nobel Prize winner, Linus Pauling. Big Pharma has been relentless in it's suppression of his work and other researchers, as vit c can't be patented, and can't earn the drug companies hundreds of millions of dollars like antibiotics etc do.

You only have to look at how Dr Frederick Klenner was CURING polio cases in 18 hrs with intravenous vit c back in the 1940's - ever heard of a doctor using this? How many people would have been saved from iron lungs and calipers if all doctors had used this proven method?

Doctors, vets and nurses are never taught about it, as Big Pharma rules the medical profession through research grants etc, so unless a medico has an open mind and is willing to do his/her own research and think outside the square, closed minds will continue to dominate the health scene.

BTW - Dr Frederick Klenner is the person who pioneered and promoted vitamin c treatment for snakebite, also back in the 1930's and 1940's, saving the lives of thousands of dogs in an era when there was no antivenene.

So a would a vit C tab mushed up with water orrally be better then nothing if you thought your dog might have gotten tick poisoning?? Just on the way to the vet or somthing like that...

Better than nothing yes, but I would not administer it to a dog that was quite obviously affected as their laryngeal function is inadequate to protect their airways (ie. they can't swallow and any liquid given by mouth can enter their lungs).

Hi Morgan, :D

I agree with your Big Pharma theory totally, when I asked the vet about Vit C or commented on any results they don't want to hear about it. :rofl:

The power of the almightly dollar!!!

Hi t(AD)pole, :cheer:

I am not sure crushed up tablets would be much benefit at all even if you aould get them down in adequate quanities. :love:

Hi Pitchick, :D

Pat asked me to try subcutaneous injection & explained it would be painful so if the dog responded to then give it orally, I have never given needles intramuscular to dogs (only horses) so Pat did not want me to try it at the time. If someone is not confident with needles orally will work, though intramuscular or subcutaneous is better.