Teeny Flyball Brag For My Foster, Darcie

I'd love to go - hadn't heard about it until now! Just read her book "Shaping Success, will be getting the "one jump" DVD next....

So yes any information would be much appreciated!! Canberra's not that far from Western Vic........ :rofl:

If that's the same Trent and Jem who also do sheepherding (and Kylie with Possum) then, yes, Jem is a high-drive dog! He's a cheeky monkey but great fun, and a great test of patience I dare say

yes its the same Trent and Jem. Trent has seen this thread and wants to know if you mean he is a cheeky monkey or Jem!

Jo

PS: Actually Mooper they are both a great test of patience!

Though the downside is i sometimes look and think I'm sending the better dog off to a new home

:rofl: Do what i did and keep the foster... my little girl just got her FDX (Flyball Dog Excellent) title a couple of weeks back.. not bad for an ex sheep dog that has been with me 10 months :rofl:.

Once Elvis, Tinny and i start agility i will let you know if they are out of control :rofl:... Elvis especially as he is an insane Flyball dog.. fun to handle, just a bit crazy.

Mooper, Susan is definitely worth going to. If you've not worked with a clicker trainer, would definitely recommend it. Or if you have. :rofl:

I knew Trent when he was up in Sydney. Around the traps and attended the same ADAA camp at one time.

Can't remember where I heard/read this, but it was suggested that agility jumping be taught BEFORE flyball jumping, since laying the foundations for a flexible approach to jumping (long and flat or short and round) can encompass flyball jumping, whereas doing only flyball type jumping and later adding agility means that one is actually changing the jumping style.

Clover, I really CAN'T keep Darcie. It would be too many dogs. The alternative would be to rehome Pickle, and I can't do that to my daughter, keep an extra one for me and rehome hers. As it is we are working hard to keep Pickle (husband not keen on this number of dogs).

OK I am going to sound like a complete dill here :rofl:

I didn't know about the different styles of jumping. I have never really 'taught' any of my dogs to jump a certain way, they just jump the way they do. Could someone please explain the difference? And how would you teach one over the other?

yes its the same Trent and Jem. Trent has seen this thread and wants to know if you mean he is a cheeky monkey or Jem!

[\quote]

:rofl: I meant Jem. But now that you mention it ... :rofl:

]/quote name='TigerJack' date='26th Oct 2006 - 09:31 PM' post='1321520']

PS: Actually Mooper they are both a great test of patience!

Jem or Trent? :rofl:

Have you been to Binalong or Michelago lately, TigerJack? We've been going to Bungendore (smaller groups, closer to home) but I'm keen to get Robert to give me a hand working with my boofhead Jack.

Sheesh, where to start about jumping, it is a huge subject all on its own.

Imagine seeing a dog jump while tucking its legs up under itself, head goes down as it jumps as a counter balance, back is rounded, uses its hindquarters in take off and can gets its hind end under it when landing, for the next stride. The dog can jump short (less distance between takeoff and landing, rounded arc) or long (longer distance, flatter arc) as needed, depending on whether it's on a straight or turning, or if there is a second jump to do soon after the first one. The highest point of the dog's arc is over the bar.

Now change any of these. Dog's legs not tucked means dog has to get whole weight higher, which is more fatiguing and more impact on landing. Head held high, centre of weight again is higher, plus head up means dog's back is flat, which means a long jumping dog not using its hindquarters properly, this dog may not be able to jump short when needed. Dog's arc not highest over bar means dog is jumping bigger and longer than it needs.

There is more to it than this, this is just to give you an idea.

To teach a dog to jump properly there are a number of grid type exercises, with different distances between a row of jumps, so that the dog has to use a shorter or longer stride, learns to regulate jump arc, to use its hindquarters, to "bascule" (horse term, means round its spine). Grids can be straight or curved. Curving teaches a dog to jump shorter, to place itself for a turn. There are also single and two jump exercises that you can do. Doing jump training teaches a dog how to judge distances, how to use its body, how to manage fast flat out jumping runs, tight twisty courses, and to be efficient in doing so. Good form in jumping can prevent injury to the dog.

This is only a very brief overview but hope it gives you some idea of jumping training and why it's important.

Pickle looks great running ... my daughter handles her so I can see her run ... the black and white flash ... Darcie I only see from front on but I can tell that she's tearing it up!!!

Edited by sidoney

Have you been to Binalong or Michelago lately, TigerJack? We've been going to Bungendore (smaller groups, closer to home) but I'm keen to get Robert to give me a hand working with my boofhead Jack.

No need to respond to this, Jo. Kylie has filled me in. :rofl:

Back on-topic (this one has meandered a bit :) ) I can't wait to see some piccies of Pickle and Darcie in action :rofl: