Training Two Dogs

Hello all,

Well i'm looking at getting a new dog soon and was wondering what people do in terms of their training. Particularly with commands etc. I am planning on using two different release commands as when I release one I don't want the other to get up also. But what about the bridge word? Would it matter if that is the same? I don't think it would as I also use clickers and I would hate to think I have to carry around two of those too. any one got any tips/suggestions?

This is my first time with two dogs if ya can't guess :laugh:

Now back to puppy waiting mode :)

Yes I would definately use two seperate release commands and two seperate Reward Marks. No doubt that you are aware there are even different sounding clickers available these days too for training more than one dog and I have seen some that are on the same clicker so you don't have to carry two.

I have 2 dogs, and have found that I normally tether one dog while working with the other or they won't concentrate

I use clicker for both and the same release and bridge word, and find that they have learnt that if I'm not working with them then the clicker or bridge doesn't mean anything

I may hit problems later if I want them working together but I figure they're never going to be in the ring with me at the same time so it should be ok

Edited by shoemonster

When I used to train at a private club, we experimented with our own dogs and found that separate release words didn't work, the dogs reacted to the *sound* more than the actual words, so they would release on another word anyway. So the question is: what do you do then, if one dog releases on the other's word? I don't think correcting them for releasing themselves does any good at all, nor is it fair. We tried it, you have to be extremely consistent with correcting the dog that releases themselves, and if you are doing distance work and they get up and run off, then it becomes self rewarding behaviour anyway. Consequently you need to up your correction level depending on how rewarding it was to the dog and you end up in a never ending chain....if you get what I mean.

I shouldn't say it doesn't work, but it is much more difficult, and whilst it looks good to other humans, I don't think it benefits the dogs in any way. :)

With my dogs, however, I do use their names to call them out of the car or the gate separately, obviously the sounds are different and because I use their names as my primary recall word, they all know their names very well.

As shoemonster says, it's more complicated training two dogs at once, and if I'm out on walks with multiple dogs then mostly I want them all to do the same things at the same time i.e. all dogs sit whilst I re-tie my shoelace, all dogs drop before being let off the lead etc etc.

So to sum it up, it looks good, but it's useless. :laugh:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I've always used the same commands & same whistles for all the dogs & never found it a problem .. but the dog's name is the key to who is to respond.

I train the pup "alongside" the older dog to start with &

post-3489-1161701784_thumb.jpg "What Did she say ?" ... Bouf at 10 months

then start to use names when the pup has the command down fast.

post-3489-1161701691_thumb.jpg "OK I got it "

I've found it so much easier training a 2nd dog when #1 is there to demonstrate ..

Using their names works for me too, like Eddie stay, Molly come, etc for every day things like feeding one outside while the other waits inside

Plus its good to train one at a time so the other can practise being tethered and practise wiating their turn

:laugh: R you getting another Aussie????

ohhhh i am jeolous real jeolous :D

what lines are you going for????

As for training, it can get confusing for your self using diffrent commands for both dogs.

your find that Leo will always be ahead in training than a new pup and i would be training ona at a time till your new pup is at the sam e level as leo is now

one thing you can do though is while training your new pup put leo into a sit/ drop stay......

then while training leo, make the pup behave and wait, tyed up some where close by

using diffrent clicker noices is a good idea but also just simply using there names before the command will work also.

I do this with Tya and cooper, when training at the park, such as recall, sit them both next to each other, call "Cooper come"

and only he will come, If tya atemps to move i say

'Tya stay"......while cooper still comes in :p ....they know who i am talking too

cheers sam :)

When I used to train at a private club, we experimented with our own dogs and found that separate release words didn't work, the dogs reacted to the *sound* more than the actual words, so they would release on another word anyway. So the question is: what do you do then, if one dog releases on the other's word? I don't think correcting them for releasing themselves does any good at all, nor is it fair. We tried it, you have to be extremely consistent with correcting the dog that releases themselves, and if you are doing distance work and they get up and run off, then it becomes self rewarding behaviour anyway. Consequently you need to up your correction level depending on how rewarding it was to the dog and you end up in a never ending chain....if you get what I mean.

You raise an interesting point. I have thought about this and already previously worked on this with current dog. What you say is true IF you have not trained the dog to listen to what you are saying. eg: My dog has to wait for a command before eating his dinner. When he had this down pat I would say words such as "spaghetti" in the same tone I say his command. When he goes for it - I would then gently correct him and make him wait again. It only took a few turns before he knew he had to wait for the all special command. Yep even to the point that when he went back to the breeders for a holiday (I forgot to tell them he had a release command) he was sitting and waiting for his dinner. They tried every word they could think of but he wouldn't budge.... well that is until he decided if he didn't eat he'd miss out *g*! But it does show that you can teach them to pick up on words as opposed to the actual command.

As for training the dogs together - mine is a terror when I train other dogs (anyone who has been around me KNOWS how noisy he can get... oh the TEMPER on him!!!). So obviously lots of training with this (we have already started, and he is getting MUCH better, but for some reason thinks it is simply unheard of for me to train one of the dogs he should be playing with *g*!). So we will be starting with one in the crate and the other out with me, or one tethered and the other one out. Obviously i'd use their names if I wanted one to do a task and not the other.

I was looking more at bridging. Release for me is a no-brainer. I personally want two different ones coz if one is in a stay I don't want them both to break. They will even sound different. Leo is on "FREE" and the next "Party' - obviously Party being two syllables will sound a little diff. The bridging is that what if I want to bridge one and not the other... hence why i'm lookiing at using two diff.... but I don't know if my brain will cope :). But then if they are not going to be trained together would this be an issue

thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Looking forward to hearing more :laugh:

Wagalot - Yep another aussie - but not for a bit yet.... same lines as my cheeky man!

BTW I forwarded someone to you re:business - did they ever contact you?!

I use the same commands for all the dogs. Zoe has a different release, "OK" where the others have "Free", but not for the specific reason for having a different command. I generally train them separately on walks or one inside, one outside etc. If I am doing group training, normally I want them all to do the same thing.

I wouldn't use a different bridge as they will know that it only means something if you are saying it while working with them

Just the same as if I say yes in answer to a question to a person the dogs don't think they will get a treat

Edited by shoemonster

I wouldn't use a different bridge as they will know that it only means something if you are saying it while working with them

Just the same as if I say yes in answer to a question to a person the dogs don't think they will get a treat

thanks Shoemonster.... I think it is such a habit for me to say 'yes' now that if I were to change it i'd end up just saying 'yes' by default and confuse the daylights outta my dogs :laugh:

The release cue I feel as though I can change as this isn't so 'subconciously' done.

:)

Yeah i think it would be more trouble than its worth to try to change "yes" lol

Its bad enought remembering to say Good girl instead of Good boy :D

And then theres Good dogs if they are both being good, hurts my brain :laugh:

I used to end up saying "good boy girl whatever" half the time :)

Edited by shoemonster

arrrr another Aussie :thumbsup:

good luck with finding the right pup, and trying to train 2 dogs at the same time :laugh:

let me know when you do get it......i want pics :p

i have had lots of calls latey.....what was the service the people were after????

thanks for reffering people to me :(

cheers sam

I am training four of my labs at the moment.

Every dog is trained separately. For a variety of reasons.

As they bounce around a paddock together from time to time, there is no way, I would have separate commands, say for emergency situations.

What colour Aussie are looking at getting? When I train Moses, I just say to Josh "Go", and Josh walks away. Then I continue on training. If I am training Josh, I occasionally throw a treat to Moses, for being quiet. Will be getting a puppy soon in late November. Her picture is on the border collie thread in the photo section.