Trick Whats Treats?

SwaY

I have started to train Sway to sit. Whilst she will sit without food (as she doesn't like any of the treats) what can i use for further training.

She doesn't like

liver treats

beef treats

science diet kibble

What is safe to use as a treat for her?

I make my own using liver, eggs and garlic.

The dogs love it and, if used only for special treats, work really well for it. :thumbsup:

This way I know the ingredients that are in the treats are all fresh and suitable for the dog.

Edited by snobbybobby

I used to buy the ham sticks from the deli section and slice them up for training treats - easier to handle than just the flat sliced ham. But Darcy got a bit bored with ham so now I buy a chicken fillet which gets cooked and diced up for training.

I tend to use lower fat treats if I can - Darcy's on a permanent diet :thumbsup:

One trainer I spoke to told me to chew on the dogs treat and then spit it out at the dog when they have done something good. They have to catch the treat. That way they are always watching you!!! :thumbsup:

I haven't tried that yet.

ewww chewed up pigs ear :thumbsup:

I've recently taught Darce to "catch" and have starting throwing food for obedience classes, found she pays more attention as she has to be "ready" to catch. Also handy for doing longer distance stuff like change of position from 6 feet out....

Suz - I remember reading a story in a training book about high value treats, and a couple who rocked up to class with their Lab? (I think), and grapes. Instructor could not believe that the dog would value a grape over any other treat (liver/meat/stras etc) but they tested them all and the dog went for the grape every time! :thumbsup:

Anything your dog finds appealing. Toys (tugs, balls, stuffed animals etc), tissues, ice cubes, varieties of food (diced up chuck steak/gravy beef, other types of meat raw or cooked in various ways, cheese, fruits, veggies, etc). Be creative, but also present them in an appealling way eg. if you seem very interested in what you have, they are more likely to as well.

I use cabana, devon or cheese.

Why not eat the treats in front of her and then "give in" and throw her one? When I am eating my dogs look at me with big eyes as if to say "I want some of whatever she is having".

Eat a few pieces of devon and then give her one, she might change her mind about them if she can see you eating them too.

edit:oops not a boy!

Edited by Mornir