Puppy Sick

sophielou

Hi all,

well my baby is 13 weeks old..

He is sneezing alot and coughing..and every now and then he has a really bad cough/choke.

He has a runny nose too.

He is eating fine...has been vaccinated..

any advice?

I will get him down to the vet first thing but what do I need to watch out for.??

I have only had cats and with the experieince of cat flu this is making me nervous...

It may be Kennel Cough, it's rampant at the moment. Make sure you take your puppy to the vet tomorrow, they will probably give you an anti-biotic to fight off any secondary infection that may set in from the virus.

Dogs who have been vaccinated for Kennel Cough still get it :)

My mums dog got kennel cough recently too much to our suprise as we thought "but she's vaccinated, how can she get it?". The vet told us that the vaccine covers 2 out of 8 strands of kennel cough or something. Something that they never tell you when you take you're dog for their vaccines, lol. But i believe it covers the worse 2, kinda like getting the flu vaccine in humans.

About 5 years ago I was working at a vets and kennel cough was rampant there. I had vaccinated my 8 dogs for kennel cough and 5 of them ended up coughing anyway. My understanding is that it is like us getting the flu vacc - only works for some strains. I don't vaccinate for it routinely anymore. I have vaccinated my current pup with C5 though cause she had pneumonia as a tiny pup and I wanted to do all I can to lessen the risk of her picking it up.

I hope your pup improves quickly :thumbsup:

BTW love the pic!

Edited by Gretel

Yep, canine cough is lurking everywhere at present, so vaccinate with at least a C5.

As stated, many strains, but only some covered by the vaccination.

But, well worth the while. Next time your at the vets ask how much if a dog came in with a bad strain of the canine cough and what the poor beast has to go through?