Positive Dog Training

Yes and no - there was feedback from 'clients' who said that they didn't see the point of it (this was in large numbers) so now people can have the elective to do it as part of their 'tricks'..... the bestest thing I ever taught my dog :D

I highly recommend croydon :p

Oh, ok, I wondered why they stopped targeting. We did it in Basic 1, then the Basic 2 instructor said he didn't have a clue what to do with them. :) I don't care what I teach Bob, anything is good, to keep him on his toes. I love tricks, they are fun.

I think I saw your beautiful dog last week in the Open ring... was that you?

I highly recommend Croydon too. :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, ok, I wondered why they stopped targeting. We did it in Basic 1, then the Basic 2 instructor said he didn't have a clue what to do with them. :) I don't care what I teach Bob, anything is good, to keep him on his toes. I love tricks, they are fun.

Yeah tricks are heaps of fun - especially when it involves the dog doing stuff for you - like getting you a drink or pushing the button at the trafic lights, or picking up something u dropped *ggg*! Nothing like cheap labour hey!

I think I saw your beautiful dog last week in the Open ring... was that you?

Uh... no we were in the CCD/Novice ring - we aren't that good yet!!! LOL! Next trial on Sunday *shudders*! If it was a BM aussie - it was me - he seems to be the only one around.... if it was a RM aussie - not me, but a 4 yr old gal training for UD.

I highly recommend Croydon too. :laugh:

I'm so glad to hear all these positive responses from croydon!

Gawd looks like I am the only grumpy bum! Well my whole class is grumpy and my private instructor is a bit freaked out as well.

Am teaching pup a finish after his recall and the instructor bolted over on the weekend and asked if someone had taught me how to do that!!! Bad me not sticking to the program!

I try to be calm as they are all volunteers but simply asking people at the beginning what they want to do with their dogs and what they have done before would be a good idea! And puppy loves it too!

• 4 months later...

Hi Jill

I dont know of any clubs in in Northern Melbourne that dont! Most will let you use what you are comfortable with. I have heard good reports about Northern. Warringal near Latrobe Uni as well. I went to Warringal the other week and saw some handlers using food. You will find most clubs will wont stipulate one style of training because it would reduce their member base.

Ahhh - that makes sense.

I haven't been to clubs before - just puppy school - so I'm not familiar with how they work.

I guess if I'm allowed to use food rewards then that's ok. The idea of strapping a choker chain to my two little shih tzus makes me very uncomfortable!

Thanks heaps :laugh:

Hi Jill

I dont know of any clubs in in Northern Melbourne that dont! Most will let you use what you are comfortable with. I have heard good reports about Northern. Warringal near Latrobe Uni as well. I went to Warringal the other week and saw some handlers using food. You will find most clubs will wont stipulate one style of training because it would reduce their member base.

Just be aware of the fact that individual instructor knowledge will vary, some will be against using food, because they are not all experts at using it. You will have to use it discreetly too, so not to distract the other dogs in the class. The instructors are all there voluntarily, so you need to keep that in the back of your mind.

If you plan on starting your basic training using food, then I would do as much reading on the subject as possible because it is a powerfull tool that can create more problems than it fixes if not used correctly. Not all instructors have the same level of knowledge, ecspecially if they hav'nt used it to fully train a dog before.

Also remember that any training aid is only as harsh as the person holding the leash.