Cleaning Grotty 3 Wk Old Puppies

Ambervale

Weaning puppies is such a huge mess. Our puppies wade in the bowl, they then get all crunchy.

Anyway I rang a friend who is a groomer and fellow breeder and asked how she cleaned up her puppies. She said to use a chamois. I tried it and it is great. It doesnt wet the puppy but it takes all the muck off them and leaves them all fluffy and clean. I rinse the chamois in warm water with a bit of baby shampoo and then ring it out.

Any one else got any ideas that work for them?

I got some chamois's from Eukanuba. I thought they were for drying off the dog but I wet them and used them to wipe the faces of our dogs while I was bathing them (they don't like having the hydrobath around their face) - they came up soooo clean. :mad

I used to use the doggy wipes but the chamios makes them much cleaner.....

I got some chamois's from Eukanuba. I thought they were for drying off the dog but I wet them and used them to wipe the faces of our dogs while I was bathing them (they don't like having the hydrobath around their face) - they came up soooo clean. :rofl:

I used to use the doggy wipes but the chamios makes them much cleaner.....

Arent they great. I have been using face washers, baby wipes and paper towels........didnt work very well but the chamios is great. Why didn't I know this before!!! :mad

errmmm

wean puppies onto non-messy food?

We only ever wean onto "just moistened" puppy biscuit and LARGE meaty bones! I have learnt my lesson ! :rofl:

We also only have bowls which are small..those two-bowl cat dishes work ..so two pups to a dish only.

lapping, co-ordinating mouths/necks & feet is very HARD work for littlies..with meat on bones , they can suck it , chew little bits, and increase their strength and co-ordination as they go.

We use roo tails or similar..and score the meat a bit, so the pups have somewhere to latch on.The moistened puppy biscuit smells better, they can pick up individual pieces and chew..not try & slurp,get slop up their noses etc :laugh:

Admittedly, our pups are a reasonable size...(koolie/kelpie) but I've been there, done that with the milk & slop..never again :(

Have fun with your babies :mad

Yep, I don't do the milky cereal bit with my puppies any more either. They do get milk, but not to swim in! :(

Nothing worse than milk and cereal-encrusted American Cocker puppies! :vomit:

:laugh:

Yes I have seen the light!! I have got them on soaked puppy biscuits now.

I usually let mum in after a meal to clean them up. The bitches are always so hungary by the time pups are 3 weeks that they gladly clean off evey leftover bit in the bowl, on the floor and on the pups. Problem solved!

I usually let mum in after a meal to clean them up. The bitches are always so hungary by the time pups are 3 weeks that they gladly clean off evey leftover bit in the bowl, on the floor and on the pups. Problem solved!

:scold::scold: 4 legged cleaning machine

:scold::scold: 4 legged cleaning machine

Wish it would work for my Yanks. Problem is that after they had swum in their milk, even their own mothers didn't want to know 'em! Nothing WORSE than a sour milk smelling Yank puppy, even IF mother has lowered herself to try and clean them (you want me to do WHAT?) and licked it further into their hair.

URGH....I think I'll have nightmares now.

Oh Ellz :scold:

The mental picture you just painted.

I do let the bitch back into clean up but even with tight little tummy's they still all try and hang off and she runs away, so it's left to me now. AND, the puppy's seem to think that everytime I go near them I have food so swamp me just like they do to their mum. So I get covered as well!

I also have learnt to avoid the sloppy milk products and go straight to soaked puppy food. Much easier to clean - also shar pei have short coats so easier. My pups are 3 weeks and just starting at the moment. They lick the food off each others faces (this is before mum comes in to hoover). It's so cute.