How Do You Classify 'nerves'

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so to clarify, Good nerves would be a fast recovery from an alarming or loud situation, and the ability to cope with new environments without undue stress or nervousness from the dog? My pup is going through his fear period and everything scares him at the moment! Vaccum Cleaners, mops, cats, kids, cars etc! So am just working on keeping him quiet for the next month or two as he has been accustomed to all these things before. The older Dobe tho seems to have no fear of anything! Because hubby and I have split up and I am back with mum and dad (Only temporarily I hope!) they are both in a new environment, new routine etc. The older Dobe has had no problems whatsoever, came into the patio, leapt on top of mum and dads BBQ, from there to the outdoor able, etc investigating (Yes this dog has no manners! It's know how to sit and that's pretty much it really!) But I was amazed at how nothing seems to phase him, loud noises don't worry him he is straight into everything. The pup hangs behind me, worries if something makes a noise, freaks out when the front gate scrapes open etc etc. The older Dobe is going to be fantastic, assuming I can train him before he kills himself :cry: He has NO recall at all, if he's in the backyard, let alone out, and he escaped out mum and dads yard last night (He hurled himslef against fence because I was out the front and he actually popped the bolts straight out of fence!) Thank god I have been building drive with him because he ran straight out, across the street and down the road, and this boy can MOVE. I just called him and swung his toy around in the air, and he came straight back, leapt up and latched onto it and I could grab him! So assuming we both survive the experience, I think I will have a pretty good dog at the end of it! :) I have found out that this new dog is a relation to Flame's Daddy's girl Flame!! So if you read this Flame's Daddy, PM me and I'll send you some pictures!!

I am having alot of trouble understanding why only dogs that dont react at all to a pan being dropped suddenly are strong nerved, and dogs that do start and then proceed to investigate are considered weak nerved.

Like Steve said i would be checking the dogs hearing, i would have thought trainers would want a dog that is alert and attentive to their surrounding environment, thought this would have also have applied to the training of Schutzhund?

I am having alot of trouble understanding why only dogs that dont react at all to a pan being dropped suddenly are strong nerved, and dogs that do start and then proceed to investigate are considered weak nerved.

who said this?

Like Steve said i would be checking the dogs hearing, i would have thought trainers would want a dog that is alert and attentive to their surrounding environment, thought this would have also have applied to the training of Schutzhund?

schutzhund dogs are trained week in and week out to go through the same routine and ignore all distractions.....theres no surprises in schutzhund training the dogs know the routine and whats comming up next,

the selection criteria for service dogs used to run them through various exercises one of such was to drop a pan close to the dog.....if the dog coward away the dog would not be selected...

eta i am not recommending this as a suitable test for service dogs just stating it was a crucial part of the selection criteria

Edited by Jeff Jones

who said this?

You did.

So if a saucepan is dropped next to dog,it jumps and turns around but doesn't run squealing out of room?

the dog still has nerve problems as the dog jumped

who said this?

You did.

the dog still has nerve problems as the dog jumped

where in the above statement does it say the dog has weak nerves?

in the example that was given there was no talk of the dog recovering and approaching the pan,

jeff, what do you define as a nerve 'problem' in that case? Because i, too, thought when you said nerve 'problem' you meant weak nerves...as i assume that strong nerves would not be classified as a 'problem'....

Edited by Rachelle

Ok you said a dog that jumped at a sudden sound would have nerve problems.....now i dont know strong nerved dogs that have nerve problems?

Do you consider dogs with nerve problems still strong nerved?

I am obviously not the only person who took it that way.

Maybe it's the reaction to a loud noise that makes the difference? Because any dog should still REACT to a loud noise yes? Otherwise it IS deaf!! :laugh: But my puppy will duck his tail and spin around as if in fright, wheras the older dog will turn and immedietely investigate, even if he jumps, or is initially startled. The puppy will dart for cover until the coast is classified 'clear' ;)

There seems to be some confusion amongst a few people regarding nerves so I will explain an example of how nerves should function in the dog.

When I first started training dogs professionally, I was training service dogs, security and protection dogs. We never had an issue if a dog had a reaction to a sight or sound providing the dog could recover. By recover, I mean that the dog could identify that it was just a brief interruption that means nothing and get on with the job at hand.

To give a further example of this, when I used to work my own dog in security, if we were focusing on a threat and he heard something behind us, I would expect him to look as it may an additional threat. If not, he would continue to focus on the most immediate threat at hand.

If he heard the sound which turned out to be nothing and could not function properly then he would have a recovery issue which would put both our lives in danger rendering the dog unsuitable for work.

Thin nerves don't just affect recovery, they affect the health and well being of the dog as well. To hopefully put this to bed, reaction is fine providing the dog can get over it.

yes and we particularly loved your example at traiing the other day when i asked about Maia's nerves!!

HR looked around and found a plastic chair which he went to get and then pushed rapidly on the concrete floor towards Maia.

She was not expecting this and as he reached her he started to bang the chair onto the ground VERY hard and loud,

Maia for a split second took a step back and then went over to investigate what exactly all the racket was about LOL

Seems like Maia's nerves are fine although not much can be said for the chair which HR banged so hard that the armrest broke off!!!!! PMSL

Ok you said a dog that jumped at a sudden sound would have nerve problems.....now i dont know strong nerved dogs that have nerve problems?

Do you consider dogs with nerve problems still strong nerved?

with the dog jumping it would be an undesirable reaction, so would be a problem...

in the example that was given there was no talk of the dog recovering and approaching the pan

yes and we particularly loved your example at traiing the other day when i asked about Maia's nerves!!

HR looked around and found a plastic chair which he went to get and then pushed rapidly on the concrete floor towards Maia.

She was not expecting this and as he reached her he started to bang the chair onto the ground VERY hard and loud,

Maia for a split second took a step back and then went over to investigate what exactly all the racket was about LOL

Seems like Maia's nerves are fine although not much can be said for the chair which HR banged so hard that the armrest broke off!!!!! PMSL

It was a great example of how a stable dog should react. She passed with flying colours :laugh:

Ok still have two sides of the story.

I understand what Herr Rottweiler is saying, thank you, but it totally conflicts what Jeff Jones is saying. So who is right?

Ohh and Jeff perhaps if you are trying to convince people can you answer the questions asked of you please?

Edited by tollersowned

Ok still have two sides of the story.

I understand what Herr Rottweiler is saying, thank you, but it totally conflicts what Jeff Jones is saying. So who is right?

probably because this is a public forum and i am posting a reply to an open question based on my experience with dogs.....so would be different to other peoples..

Ohh and Jeff perhaps if you are trying to convince people can you answer the questions asked of you please?

i am not trying to convince anyone i dont see how i am forcibly pushing my views :mad

but i promise to be a good sheep from here on in :rofl:

Edited by Jeff Jones

Gee some people get defensive on here.

I was merely asking a question that you didnt answer, and because you didnt do that i was asking for you to do so.

At the start of the thread you replied with knowledge in your posts but you arent expanding on questions when asked?

Maybe i should ask people who will actually respond.