Some Questions: Situation Specific Anxiety

Do you mean that the dog is backing off judges? If this is what is happening then I doubt that Clomicalm will help. I have known a few people who have tried Clomicalm specifically for this problem and it didn't make any difference at all. If the dog is just a little uncomfortable when the judge examines him I would suggest that you continue to persevere and he will probably grow out of it, however if the dog is totally freaking out at the judge's approach and making a positive effort to avoid being touched then you may have to accept that he just doesn't like showing. Sometimes a dog that is truly frightened may eventually snap is he's pushed too far, not all dogs can handle the showring and sometimes it's safer and kinder to the dog to withdraw it from the ring.

I am going to agree with Miranda here, if the dog is only young...which i gather he is?....then i would keep at training him to at least tolerate being handled by strangers.

Some dogs just dont like being shown at all.

I personally wouldnt seek drugs as an answer but continue to work with him to accept strangers patting him and eventually doing a full exam.

ok..i would prefer to see you consult with Gaille ( i have experience with gaille) or Kirsti.

would also try bach Flower remedy in a dog specific formula not rescue remedy. Anxiety remedy is a different combination.

nervousness and anxiety: larch, star of bethlehem, mimulus and aspen.

fear: aspen,mumulus, star of bethlehem and walnut

agression: beech,cherry plum, mystard, holly walnut, wild rose

fear agression: mumulus,aspen,rock rose

unpredictable animal: aspen,elm,mustard,scleranthus,sweet chestnut.

you may also consider homeopathy .

vitamin B3 is useful for anxiety.

recent research has suggested that agression ( in particular dominance agression- I hate that term) may benefit from a change from a high protein diet to a low protein diet#, and dog with territorial agression may benefit from a low protein diet supplemented with tryptophan.

#De Napoli J.S, Dodman N.H. et al. 15 aug 2000 "Effect of dietry protein content and tryptophan supplementation on dominance agression, territorial agression and hyperactivity in dogs". JAVMA vol 217 (4) pp504-8

also consider diet higfh in carbs may lead to agression and nervousness due to lower seratonon levels in the barin.*

*Ballarini G. "Animal psychodietics in pet nutrition and practice" Waltham Symposium no 13.

Are you still in NSW Pewithers? Just that your avatar says that you are.

You have SABS Sydney Animal Behaviour Service, I have attended lectures by both Dr Gaille Perry and Dr Linda Beer, they are both fantastic.

www.sabs.com.au

Mel.

ETA: By coincidence I think I am having the same problems in the conformation ring with my boy, as you are having.

Hi staff'nToller. :)

I have contacted MABS and we are going to visit Dr. Robert Holmes in Adelaide on Wednesday.

:laugh:

Do you mean that the dog is backing off judges? If this is what is happening then I doubt that Clomicalm will help. I have known a few people who have tried Clomicalm specifically for this problem and it didn't make any difference at all. If the dog is just a little uncomfortable when the judge examines him I would suggest that you continue to persevere and he will probably grow out of it, however if the dog is totally freaking out at the judge's approach and making a positive effort to avoid being touched then you may have to accept that he just doesn't like showing. Sometimes a dog that is truly frightened may eventually snap is he's pushed too far, not all dogs can handle the showring and sometimes it's safer and kinder to the dog to withdraw it from the ring.

Hi Miranda. :)

What has not been elucidated at this point is that my dog is not so much 'backing off judges' as acting within the Temperament for this Breeds' Standard.

Maremmas should be suspicious or wary of strangers. They are also inclined to submission.

Herein lies our dilemma in that many judges are not fully conversant with the correct standard for the breed and tend to exacerbate their own difficulties.

Also, as I understand it now, Clomicalm is a tricyclic, or may be better known as a psychotropic medication.

These drugs are commonly used with chronically psychotic patients and certainly would be inadvisable for an inexperienced dog at this time.

You see, my dog is only 11 months old and is still learning. He has a lot more experience to be gained before he should be condemned as irretreviable.

I am certain that he has no fear of the ring.

On the contrary, he becomes exhilarated by it.

By the same token, the terms on which he meets people, including some judges, is his perogative. That's their "NATURE'.

More fairly, I do not envy at all the job that our judges have each weedend.

I used Clomicalm on Bob a bit over a year ago when he was extremely stressy and anxious about virtually everything and didn't find it did anything other than make him aggressive towards other dogs. This apparently can be a side effect as it blocks the part of the brain that inhibits aggression [i think that's how the vet explained it].

I tried the DAP and found it helped a little with his SA issues. Best result I got was from Bach Flower Remedies specific to his problems, no Rescue Remedy.

Hi bloss344. :)

I am waiting on professional advice before rushing in to any treatment of any kind.

It goes without saying that I will carefully consider all of the available options.

Hi Pewithers

Here is the Link for Bill Campbell.

One other bit of advice is to not try to comfort your dog when he is showing his fear. Doing this will only reinforce his actions - in other words, you are rewarding that behaviour. Not sure if you are already doing this but thought I'd throw it in.

Re Dr Seksel - yes agree, whilst it's a science, I believe there's no greater learning experience than owning and working with your own dog/s. :)

Hi Kelpi-i. :crazy:

Unfortunately, that link isn't working for me either.

And don't worry, my five years of study in Psychology was not in vane. I am not establishing, reinforcing or perpetuating any behaviour that is contrary to my dogs ultimate welfare.

I am going to agree with Miranda here, if the dog is only young...which i gather he is?....then i would keep at training him to at least tolerate being handled by strangers.

Some dogs just dont like being shown at all.

I personally wouldnt seek drugs as an answer but continue to work with him to accept strangers patting him and eventually doing a full exam.

Hi Tollersowned. :)

Long time no post. :crazy:

I agree with your behavioural analysis except I have been advised not to place the dog into a situation that will exacerabate 'my' problem untill he has been properly assessed.

At that time he may be given a treatment regime which I fully expect will be a behavioural one as you purport.

Such wisdom for one so young. :rofl: