Does Anyone Else Get Weird Looks When They're Training Their Dog I

I guess I'm just over it this morning. When I take Stormy for a walk, we always include some training. It might be something as simple as getting her to sit when we're stopped at a corner, or something which does probably look silly which is me running backwards & getting her to "come". It seems like I get weird looks from everyone - if I'm trying to get her to sit straight, I get looks like I'm abusing her. She also does this bouncy thing when their are other loose dogs around (seen and unseen) and I'm sure that people think that I'm strangling her. I'm trying to replace this behaviour by getting her to "watch" me, but I need to get her attention, which usually involves "kissy-kissy" noises. And if I happen to praise her, I also get weird looks. I guess I feel like I just can't win and that people don't understand that I'm working towards having a well behaved dog and it involves some work. It won't change anything that I do, I guess I just wish people would understand sometimes.

i think a lot of the time those looks are praise often i will see someone training their dog and will stop and watch them thinking how good it is to see it. I will aso tel the owner what a great job they are doing ive met a couple of good friends watching their dog at the park and vice versa we often get compliments from people when i work my dog at the park ive only hd one lady abuse me because she wanted her dogs to play with mine nd i wouldnt allow it

I do food spitting with Diesel so needless to say I get a lot of weird looks! :thumbsup:

I also get comments on how well behaved the dogs are too.

One time I was training Diesel outside the dog park (heeling and attention) and when we went into the park, someone said thank goodness you came in, it would have been mean of you to do that and not come in for a play after :cry:

Caninecoach, perhaps that it true - I honestly never thought about it that way. I think sometimes they are looks of "why did you get a dog that you can't control" because she's doing her silly bouncing act, which I try to ignore, otherwise she gets even more sily. I just think to myself, well, she's worth the effort and I can control her, she is just in the process of learning who is the boss and is testing me to make sure I am still the boss.

i remember once years ago making my hubby stop on the side of the road because i saw a guy doing some work with his dog after watchign the presicion i was inspired and thast how i got into obedience competition i dont know who he was but i was very impressed.

I know how you fel i remeber working my gsp when she first came to us she was a loopy dog but we got there and you wil too just focus on what you need to do and forget abotu the nuftys that just dont get it it wont be long before they will be wishing their dogs were as well behaved

Thanks caninecoach. I'm a very steep learning curve with her. My fault with her sitting in the wrong spot, which we now have to work to correcting. It was initially a struggle to get her to sit at all, so a was "satisified" with her sitting, regardless of where it was. Now we have a new challenge of getting her to understand that when we're walking, I want her to sit straight beside me, not at a 90 degree angle or anywhere else. Entirely my fault, but we're getting there.... slowly. I spoke to a very experienced trainer the other day and they assured me that the work never entirely stops throughout the dogs life :thumbsup:

I get laughed at.

When they have done the correct hting and i let them 'go play', i use a really happy adn loud voice, the amount of times i have been laughed at for it.

At training on saturday i actually had the trainer say to the others in the class that i was a good example of praising as my dog knows how happy i am with her/him.

So now i don't care, cause the reaction i get from my dogs when i release them is awesome. They are so happy that i am happy, it is a reward in itself.

A lot of people seem to think that training is only for those set times when you toddle off to the class on a sunday morning...

And then I get the comment "oh yours are so well behaved mine only listen when theres food or we're in class"

grrr

yeah if training when out makes me look silly then I must be a loony. We went for a walk last night to Werribee plaza at about 11pm when all the people were coming out of the local Tabaret and cinema. We did a sit and stayed there working on ignoring loud people and revving cars for a while. Everyone was throwing comments and we copped some abuse but no one was game enough to try anything :thumbsup: But my dogs' focus was beautiful.

Yup. I'm mad

Guest Clover

We often get weird looks, no comments though. Last weeke we came to a road and all 3 were sitting nicely waiting to be "OKed", when a fellow doggie friend drove past.. she counted all 3 dogs sitting then gave me the biggest :rofl:.

Tinny is still learning about sitting at the road, and can be a bit stubborn when we are heading towards the park.. so lots of weird looks get given when she sits nicely and does a good job. I praise her like mad.

Another good one is when we are at the road waiting to cross and someone stops their car to let us across. We are clearly training and i wave them on and they get all narky because "I made them stop" :rofl:.

Oh Yes - But am used to it by now!

The weirdest is when I am doing out of sight stays....and lying on the ground behind my van watching the boys from underneath!!!

Only dog people really understand dog people, that is why dogzonline is soooo great!

Annie and her boyz

It won't change anything that I do, I guess I just wish people would understand sometimes.

Hi Squeak, I think the bottom line is "who cares?" what these bozos think or don't think. The time you spend analysing their facial expressions and working out if they approve of you is time better spent doing pretty much anything else. Just look past them and enjoy yourself and relax.

:D

I had a foster last year who only responded to a high, squeaky voice - which was OK but I forgot to drop it when training two of my dogs. Now I have to do the high pitched squeaking thing all the time, and boy do I get some funny looks :rofl:

Other than that, not much, as I am guilty of not following up my training very well in the real world ;)

One thing that really gives me the irrits though is when I take my not-so-well-behaved-in-public dog out to work on her 'issues' (defensive barking at anything that moves, might move, or just doesn't look right :rofl:). I get glares and rude comments from people :D . At least I'm out there working with her, rather than just shutting her in the back garden for the rest of her life - sheeesh.

I used to get that, when I was at the stage of sorting "out in public" issues with my girl. I ignored it (albeit that inwardly, I felt every stare and many comments). I knew I'd won when many people, after time, would pass us and say "wish my dog would do that" or "wish my dog was like that".

Ignoring these people was one of the best things I did and any discomfort from doing so (and still getting on with the 'job') was worth it. And I'd do it over again if I needed to.

Feel sorry for these people - they simply don't know enough to understand. And from that point of view, you've got something they don't.

I took my GSD to a park and got him to do a drop/stay while I practiced my footwork. I did the whole thing in slow, normal and fast pace, with drop, sit and stands thrown in while my boy watched from a distance. On completion I looked up to see the drivers from the bus company across the road on a break standing out the front of their shed watching me walking around the park by myself (in all different directions) while my dog lay in the shade watching. I can't imagine what they must have thought of me.

By the way I did go back, although I saved my footwork practice for home :rofl: .