Naughty Dog

westiefan

My 6 month old male westie (has been desexed) is starting to be very naughty, especially when I go out. I don't leave him for very long. Maximum of 2-3hrs (if that). he is left inside with a dog door to outside. He has lots of chew toys, however he seems to enjoy ripping up his bed and, chewing on kitchen cupboards etc etc.

I have tried spraying bitter apple sprya, however it doesn't deter him.

he gets lots of attention and is walked twice a day

Also, when I reprimand him with a stern NO, he just looks up at me and continues his ripping up of his bed.

Even as i am typing this, he is pulling at the broadband connection

Any suggestions??

I was about to post the same type of question.

I have an 11-moth-old Kelpie cross Border Collie that is continually destructive. I also have a 10 year old Kelpie. They both get on well.

Everytime we go out, something is wrecked. Everytime we go in the house fo a while, something is ruined. Our office is in the garage and when I am in there the pup won't touch a thing as she knows I am close by. As I write she is alseep on her bed.

This is disappointing and relentless and makes you so angry as there seems to be no stopping it.

hey westiefan

Sounds like pretty normal puppy behaviour to me. My Doug (in my signature) is nearly 4 months and he does it too. I just try and make sure he has access to stuff he is allowed to chew (such as cardboard boxes and paper rolls). A raw bone is great - it'll keep him busy for hours and give him something to chew.

Make sure that the things you give him that he is allowed to distroy - in no way resemble the things you dont want in to destroy. Pups can't tell the difference. I heard the other day of a lady that was upset with her pup chewing her ugh boots so gave the pup her old pair. The pup then thought it was ok and distroyed both :banghead:.

It might be easier to remove the temptation at this stage, keep in a contained area when you can't supervise him.

Anyhoo - he'll more than likely grow out of it.

Has he finished teething?

Thanks for your response. he has lost all his teeth. the last few were taken out at the vet 3 weeks ago.

The funny thing is he never misbehaves or chews when my husband is around and always walks well on the lead if he takes him for a walk. When I take him he pulls on the lead and rolls all over the ground.

he must see me as a push over

In terms of the chewing, we leave him in an area where we have put up baby gates so he can't chew the whole house and we have put cardboard around the bottom of the kitchen cupboards so he can't chew the timber anymore.

blocking him off is a good thing. For his own protection too, especially if he gets to a plugged in power cord.

I think you answered your own question ... he does see you as someone who is not to be listened to all the time.

If you say NO and he continues take it off him and put him in a sin bin. Lock him somewhere safe but toy free and leave him there to think about it, 15 minutes or until he is quiet. Then let him out and have a little play with him to show him you have no hard feelings. You write 'he is pulling the braodband" why do you let him continue? You show him its wrong, if he tries again - out and in the sin bin. With young dogs you have to be BLACK AND WHITE in right/wrong. Dont give too many chances and nip things in the bud - if he starts sniffing and pawing at things correct him then, not when he's already had 5 minutes of investigation.

As for the lead, when he acts up and rolls over, turn your back on him and completely ignore him. Dont say a word - just stare at the sky. Pretty soon he's going to realise that hey, i cna push mums buttons but it wont get a reaction and its not that much fun being stupid. Pulling the same. Stop, wait, put him into a sit. when he is good continue. If he pulls again then stop and repeat. DO NOT use a choker or yank him hard little dogs need patience and correction can damage his throat.

Remember - dont ask your dog. Dont crouch down and go 'oooh poor baby its ok mummies here etc". You are the boss, and your dog expects you to be a leader. Asking is done by low level animals, telling is done by leaders. Not saying you have to be harsh and yell but be one step ahead and make him work for your attention. Reward the good, ignore the bad.

P.S. try tobasco sauce or hot chilli on things he is not meant to touch.

Davidsee - try skipping a meal when you know you are going out. Then just before you leave throw some lamb flaps/chicken necks/wings all over the backyard and let the dogs chew on those for a while. Conversely give them larger bones that take a while. A hungry dog is not going to turn around and chew up a plant when there is some lovely fresh food lying around. Remember you have a working breed that will keep itself amused A LOT. Try a treat ball too and a sandpit in the corner then bury some food in there.

Edited by Nekhbet

Have you thought about crate training him? You can keep him in the crate while you go out for a few hours to keep him out of trouble.

If simply saying "no" is not working - try to add something unpleasant while you say "no". This way he will associate "no" as negative and he will be more likely to stop what he is doing, rather then ignoring you. Squirting them with a water gun works brillantly with my dogs. Or shaking a jar full of coins.

Eventually, you won't need to use anything but the word "no"

I hope this helps. Good Luck! :banghead:

Thanks. I did try "NO" and clapping my hands, but that didn't work. I might try the water gun approach. Then again when he goes outside to do his business when it rains he likes to try and catch it in his mouth .

he is a real litle character

Westielover...How old are your westies?

I was told that they are very strong willed dogs.

Apart from being strong willed, he is fantastic with all dogs and people. he loves children> on our walks he has to great every child and expects a pat from everyone we pass.

I am having troubles posting his photo.

Hi Westiefan :banghead:

My westies are 6 (Winston) & 5 (Riley) years old - both male - and both lovely natured dogs. Winston was quite independant until he was about 2 years old - I would say 'come' and he would walk off in the other direction!! :swear: Riley on the other hand has always been a 'mummy's boy' and does what he's told - he would be an excellent obedience dog!!!

Mind you - we did do some basic obedience training and clicker traing when they were younger. It worked brilliantly with Riley - but not with Mr Independant Winston!!! Westies can indeed be strong willed.

I would highly recommend some obedience training - if you are in Sydney I can recommend a great clicker training course. You have received some great advice in the posts above - take those ideas on board.

There are a couple fo great books which you may consider buying:

Don't Shoot the Dog - The New Art of Teaching and Training - Karen Pryor (website: http://www.clickertraining.com/home/)

The Power of Positive Dog Training - Pat Miller (this is a great book and includes a 6 week training guide)

Both of these books are great reading and teach you how to train your dog, have fun and build a lasting & respectful realtionship with your dog.

Westies are beautiful dogs and have great natures - but they definately need to know their boundaries.

Enjoy your beautiful boy - look forward to seeing some pics of him too!

Remember - dogs dont speak english. If I walked up to you and said "pusti ga na miru" and clapped my hands at you, you'd think I'm a complete loony! Just because you make a noise doesnt mean your dog understands. Old method of dog training - make a fuss when the dog does something bad and the dog ends up avoiding, cowering or doing it in secret.

You have to SHOW the dog. Dont just spray or clap, give the dog a positive alternative. Chewing cords is wrong BUT chewing toys is OK. Jumping on furniture is wrong BUT hopping on your bed is OK. Just say a stern NO, pick up the pup and put him in the sin bin, or move him away and give him his alternative. They learn much faster and respond better when there is a physical reward at the end of the lesson.

Looks like the backyard is going to get all boringly clean and clinical again.

The joys of puppy hood hey?!

I recently told this story in the gardening help thread - OH and I just bought our first home. It has a great backyard and beautiful entertaining area. When we moved in I got someone to check off the trees against those on the 'poisonous to dogs' list.

5 whole trees had to be removed. :banghead:

Then the little monster decided that the decorative gravel stones look like kibbles and started eating them. Had to get rid of those too. It looked SO NICE.

Lucky he is so cute. :swear: