What Now?

OK I just tried.

On lead with the damned toy - no problem. Happy to do it, in the yard, outside the yard, in presence of Rex, people whatever.

Tie out - FORGET IT!!! Doesnt want to know about it. Not only wont go into drive but goes into shut down mode. Happy to be on lead just not tied out.

did you tie her upto the same part of the fence as where she got injured?

if so try it in a different area i would try at the local park when noones around

does she shut down if shes near the fence and on lead doing drive work?

yes it was the same part of the yard. The moment I put the lead on the fence it was all over.

It will sound kind of funny but I dont really have any other areas in the yard where I could do it. Unless I use a stake out in the middle.

She doest shut down on lead in the same spot, however she isnt as keen as she was previously. Still goes into drive etc, just for shorter periods of time not so enthusiastically.

OK been to the park.

I didnt go the with the goal of testing her, I just went for a walk and tried something while there.

On lead no worries, even with Rex running around fruitlooping about.

Tie out a bit of a freak out and unhappy face, but I held the lead and slowly/gently let it go into a tie out and she relaxed. She was a bit tired from running around but showed interest in the ball for few seconds. I released her after that.

If that's where you're having trouble then you should do everything you can to set up a mock trial so your not failing on field in front of the judge

Herr R,

May I ask a question, have you ever been to a retrieving trial?

OK been to the park.

I didnt go the with the goal of testing her, I just went for a walk and tried something while there.

Tie out a bit of a freak out and unhappy face, but I held the lead and slowly/gently let it go into a tie out and she relaxed. She was a bit tired from running around but showed interest in the ball for few seconds. I released her after that.

Myszka,

Too many distractions,you need to focus on one dog at a time and start with Diva fresh, not after running about with Rex.

If that's where you're having trouble then you should do everything you can to set up a mock trial so your not failing on field in front of the judge

Herr R,

May I ask a question, have you ever been to a retrieving trial?

Are you talking about game retrieving? If so, yes.

Herr R,

There are two types of trials, retrieving and field trials.

I should have added, I can train for concepts till the sheep come home, so to speak, with one bad "mark" (sighted retrieve) and you are probably history. I am starting to complain now, not a good thing, LOL.

BTW, I agree with testing from time to time at training, but I do concentrate on concepts rather than testing.

Too many distractions,you need to focus on one dog at a time and start with Diva fresh, not after running about with Rex.

Rex wasnt around when I did it ( I tied him up to a fence on the other side of the park, maybe 100m away, other than that the park was empty. She was physically a bit tired but nothing drastic. Was happy to do it on lead, it wasnt training I just wanted to see how will she react to being tide up somewhere other than my yard.

OK been to the park.

Good,

another thing you can try is have her showing interest for the orbee and stand beside her on lead and throw the ball and dont let her get it for around 10-15 seconds she should be lunging and digging into the ground to try and get at the ball then release her to retrieve it after a while,

do that near the fence at the park then after a couple of days of increasing the time you throw the ball to the time she gets it you should be able to clip her onto the fence without her knowing,

Edited by Jeff Jones

Thanks Jeff, will try tomorrow, time and circumstances providing.

When it comes to digging - The fruitloop dug a hole in the grass today, few days of no prey work and we have a result. I love her!

Herr R,

I should have added, I can train for concepts till the sheep come home, so to speak, with one bad "mark" (sighted retrieve) and you are probably history. I am starting to complain now, not a good thing, LOL.

BTW, I agree with testing from time to time at training, but I do concentrate on concepts rather than testing.

So what is it that your dogs are doing that is costing you in trial? I'm sorry if i'm appearing vague but I'm not following your post

Herr R,

So what is it that your dogs are doing that is costing you in trial? I'm sorry if i'm appearing vague but I'm not following your post

Sorry Herr R, I thought that as you had observed retrieving trials you knew what the setups may require. Australia retrieving trials IMHO are conceptually the most difficult as the judges dictate order of retrieve and handlers are often put in poor positions to observe the dog while it works. All the same, I love the games/competitions.

They say a good dog trainer can take virtually any dog from a rescue centre and in 6 short weeks have them competitive in CD and agility.

This would certainly not be the case in retrieving trials, where winning is required, not a pass.