Natural Therapies/vitimins

Hi,

I'm interested in finding out more about natural therapies and vitimins etc.

Not sure where to look, could someone point me in the right direction? please ;)

Also if anyone has any suggestions for highly strung dogs I would to hear them.

I read that lavender can have a calming effect. Does anyone use this and if so how??

Search www.amazon.com as there are tons of natural therapy books for animals at very cheap prices (even after postage).

A few suggestions:

Natural Health Bible for Dogs & Cats - Shawn Messonnier

The encyclopedia of natural pet care - CJ Puotinen

Dr Pitcairn's complete guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats - Richard Pitcairn

Lavender oil can be used in an oil burner or could be given straight in food (only a couple of drops)

Chamomile is another similar option for nervousness (brew some tea and add to food &/or water).

Ttouch (books available) and other physical therapies (bowen, massage etc) are very useful tools.

Homeopathic preperations (by a traditional homeopath)

Flower essences (rescue remedy is the most commonly used)

Diet is probably one of the biggest things that can make a change - eg switching to a raw natural diet.

Good luck - if you search much of this on the net you will get some info, but not as much as in books

I've had good success with Valerian for thunder-phobic or generally stressed dogs. It's important to get it into the dog before they become stressed though, as it seems less effective if the dog is already worked up.

Hi,

I'm interested in finding out more about natural therapies and vitimins etc.

Not sure where to look, could someone point me in the right direction? please :rofl:

Look at Robert McDowell's Herbal Treatment web ste

www.herbal-treatments.com.au

He is excellent in my opinion.

Also some one posted that Vit B1 is good for anxiety. It is it B12 not B1

Hi Guys,

When you are referring to 'Rescue Remedy', do you mean the variety that you can purchase at the chemist for yourself, or do you need to get a specific doggie variety?

It's the same stuff for people, animals and plants. Either chemist or health food shop should have it. RR is designed to be just that an emergency remedy. There are other flower essences which address specific problems.

Thankyou to everyone who replied :thumbsup:

I will be looking into all of the suggestions and hopfully find one that will help my dog.

With Resue remedy and vitimin B12 (if using this) what amount would you give??

RR is the same dose as for people on the bottle. It's interesting stuff, same dose if you are giving to a horse, or a mouse.

Not Vitamin B12, all the B Vitamins are important for reducing stress/anxiety, particularly B2. A great way to administer this to your dog is a little Brewers yeast in food. Don't give Vitamins, particularly Bs on an empty stomach because it can cause nausea.

In addition to those, Vitamin C is important as well as things like Vitamin E, Magnesium and Copper.

I have personally had good success with Bach flower remedies and have heard of other people having success with things like bush flower essences. The main thing is to find what works for your dog. When using Bach flower remedies or something similar, it is important to tailor the mix to your dog and its specific issues rather than just buy a pre-mix like the rescue remedy, you will usually get better results.

Other things you might like to try are DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) and things like T-Touch and massage. I recommend a natural or BARF diet for all dogs and have witnessed fantastic results on my own dog who suffers with extreme anxiety.

Using nutrition and natural therapies is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety, however training and management techniques like desensitisation, counter conditioning, establishing effective leadership, crate training etc should never be overlooked and play an extremely valuable part in dealing with anxious dogs.

Edited more than once because I can't shpell..

Edited by haven

Here's a website with a small amount of info regarding the flower remedies. I had another which was quite comprehensive but can't find it.

http://www.edwardbach.org/ppage.asp?pagenameid=WB3ANIM

I found the combinations of the individual remedies worked better than RR. My Health Food Shop makes up small bottles of your chosen remedies [up to 5] for a really reasonable price.

I also really like Brauer Healthcare's Nervatona. There are two version- Nervatona Calm and Nervatona Focus, I have only used the calm version.

All natural, works a treat in taking the 'edge' off the dog's anxiety and comes in a spray version which is much easier to give your dog because you just aim it inside their mouth. It is only about $15 a bottle too, so is well priced.

I have also been known to dose myself with Nervatona when I am anxious- works for me too! :thumbsup: