Constant Barking - Neighbours Complain - Help!

I received a note from an angry neighbour that Moo Moo, my newly adopted whippet barks constantly when we are not at home.

I know that my next door neighbour has cats and chooks in the barkyard but the fence is at least 5 ft high and she won't be able to see through them.

my neighbour has lodged a complaint to the city council, saying that Moo Moo is a nuisance dog and threatened to do more.

Can someone help?

Typically your neighbour would have to provide a bark diary to prove her claims.

Do you get on with any of your other neighbours? Can they confirm what your neighbour is saying? or can they back you up?

Don't freak out quite yet.

I think it's a good idea to do a test leave, i.e. put pooch outside and pretend you're going out and then listen to see how much barking is going on and then sneak a peak and see what she is barking at.

You really need to figure out the reason for the barking. If it appears to be simple boredom then try things like bones, kongs, chew toys, home alone boredom busters, sand pits, clam shell paddling pool, scattering treats around the yard.

If the worst comes to the worst you may need to research into different types of bark collars are which ones are allowed in your state.

Many people on the forum have their own opinion on these devices, however my personal opinion is that when the worst comes to the worst and you have tried other methods to try and stop the barking this is one of the next steps when you are risking having trouble with the council.

I would go next door and have a chat with them or if you don't feel comfortable to do this, pop a 'nice' letter in their letter box thanking them for the notification and ask them if they can please provide you with their bark diary so you can see when she is specifically barking so that you can start to work on the problem, let them know they are welcome to pop around for a chat as their help will assist in fixing the problem.

It may also be worth contacting your council to see what the ruilings are on barking.

All the best and keep us updated!

Although it is a nice theory not to stress to soon, things can get pretty nasty prety quick. Our Neighbours dog barks all the time [even when she is home] and she was the first to complain to the council [not even to me]

Then my lovley little jrt decided to visit the neighbour over the back who is elderly and scared of dogs. the council ranger decided that instead of taking him to the pound she would go though the gate and put him back. Our border collie cross then procided to try to eat her because she was behind our gate when we wern't home.

We had only recently moved so the dogs were not registed at this address.

To cut a story short our 5 dogs became 3 our border is registed as a qld healer. They now live in our Double garage so that no one can complain. AND I still have to listen to the dog nextdoor bark it self stupid.

Sound more like a winge than any help but from experiance other nice neighbours don't mean much when you've got a nasty one. [our other neighbours are great next door and across the road ect]

Dpo the best you can as soon as you can because as the old saying goes " When I do good no one remembers. When I do bad NO ONE FORGETS"

Whippets think they're people, and let the world know when they have been deserted!

Most whippets I know are left in the house, crated if necessary, while owners are out. Whippets I have owned usually bark if left outside even when I am home!

I mentioned not to stress to soon as there are processes that have to happen when things like this go through a Council....what I meant is there is still time to work through issues.

How about being positive with the poster eh.

Being on the tail end of a similar issue ( least your neighbour had the intestinal fortitude to contact you and not the council) I agree with LilBailey

not to stress to soon, things can get pretty nasty prety quick.

Have a friend or someone hang about nearby after you leave if your dog is smart enough to realise you have'nt left. To check my dogs were'nt barking when I leave for school drop off and pick up, a friend parked down the end of the street or in the court behind and listened to check for a few days a week for a month. If you think it may turn nasty there is the Dispute Resolution Centre at the Justice Department, the service offers FREEmediation in matters such as this. Ask your neighbour about the barking, does it sound like the dog is playing, bored, Including them in the problem solving goes along way to an amicable solution. Explain to them that training the dog not to bark at nothing will take some time, there is no fast and easy solution, enlist their help if they are interested: if you find the dog barks because it is hungry instead of a bone or treat filled goody toy, maybe they can pop over and feed the dog if you are both agreeable.

Best thing is TALK and COMMUNICATE, otherwise it can become a nasty, bitter, battle of diaries and counter claims, you really do not want to go there :rofl:

thank you everyone for their encouragement. i was really freaking out when i received the note.

the person who wrote the letter did not leave his/her name and he/she wrote that he/she has already complained to the council.

i went to my next door neighbour and asked her about it, but she didn't write the note and didn't know who might have wrote the note. I really want to explain to the neighbour who wrote the complain note and apologize. But looks like my hand is tied.

anyway. i went out and bought a clam shell and filled it up with sand and hoping that might ease the problem.

and i am putting both dogs outside today and try to find out why she has been barking constantly.

will keep you posted.

Constantly for one person may be as short as 5 minutes. :rofl: I agree with the others of trying to get someone you trust to listen for the dog when it's put outside so you'll have a better idea of what is happening.

The anti bark is the secure option, they start to work within about 3 or 4 barks.

I recomend the Petsafe Delux, if you have not got that there then an Innotek, you'll never look back and the problem with be over for good as soon as you get it, they are problem free for the dog.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi KatLek,

You're not alone, I received a verbal complaint from a neighbour because my pup was reported to be barking non-stop fro 30 minutes. As far as I'm aware they haven't complained to the Council but I did speak with 2 dog trainers and my vet for advice, which is very similar to what everyone has already said.

I also extended an invitation to the neighbours for a "meet and greet" session which they accepted ... but never showed up. Hopefully you'll have more luck. For me this is a work in progress as I speak with different people for alternatives on how to deal with the issue.

So Bark what are you doing with your dog to try and combat the problem? Our neighbour complained about our dogs this week and while I am hoping it was just our foster dog hyping them up, I want to try and see what we can do to stop them. We haev blocked their line of sight outside so they can't see anything as it walks past (although if they are loud I guess they can hear). They have toys galore and we have also been giving them big bones to chew.

My neighbors were nice enough to let me know that my dog barked from "the minute i leave to the minute i get home". I didn't quite believe it was for that long, however I combatted the problem by getting him some company... BUT i did set up a tape recorder first to see if he really did bark non stop... sure enough, he barked when i left, but was quiet for as long as the tape lasted...

The neighbours said that it didn't actually bother them, but thought it right to let me know just in case it bothered someone else and got a complaint... she said she knows how much i care about my dog and i am always with it when i am home etc and she didn't want anything bad to happen as a result. I thought that was so nice...

Well JRT's are not the most peaceful breed :rofl:

Mine are crated inside whenever we're not home. That way I know they can't annoy the neighbours and they can't get into any trouble or mischief - they're safe and quiet. I realise I'm lucky though, my OH works from home so he is in and out all day. It's a luxury not everyone has, I know.

KatLek, what about keeping the dog/s in a small room like laundry or bathroom when you're not home, if crating isn't an option? For situations like a cat at the fence - I would just have to bring mine inside.

When we are home, they spend quite a bit of time outside, and need exercise and plenty of chews to occupy them, or they will just create their own entertainment... be it barking at the birds (or at thin air), chasing each other around while yapping their heads off... or having a wrestling match which sounds like they're killing each other :shakehead:

Any barking that gets too much, we go out and "tell them off" and "to be quiet", loud enough so the neighbours hear us doing it :mad We ran into one of the ladies the other week and she mentioned that she often hears us telling them to be quiet :rofl: I think that helps - if your neighbours know you aren't just oblivious to the noise.

At least you're not alone, I think all dog owners go through this :rofl:

Our neighbour said that when they bark they bark for 15-20 mins at a time. Which I can imagie would be incredibly annoying so we are keen to do something to stop it. Have asked him whether they seem to be barking from boredom or triggered by people walking past etc. Tape recorder is a good idea - that way we can guage how bad it is.

this situation has caused me to lose sleep and today, i just didnt have the mind to work. kept thinking about it and how i can solve the problem and ease the situation. :rofl::rofl: i am pretty upset about the whole situation.

i have already got a warning from the council and i don't want to run the risks of them coming in to seize the dog.

i have already bought her more toys and a sand pit where i hid toys and treats in to keep her busy. but i guess the cat is more tempting and exciting than digging for treats.

i was thinking of putting a sheet up against the fence where the cat is and hopefully that will help.

Nellie,

The day my pup was reported to be barking non stop was when he was recovering from his castration complicated by an allergy so he was being starved that day. He barked because he was hungry and I assume feeling miserable.

Since that incident he's been relatively good and each morning he eats part of his breakfast in his bowl and when we leave for work he gets the rest in Kongs to eat during our absence along with a variety of toys. At the time the trainers told me I had to work out why he was barking and on that occasion it was because he was hungry.

With the recent school holidays, I've discovered him barking for approx 1 minute because the neighbour's daughter was kicking her soccer ball around which coincided with the time I returned home from work. As soon as my pup saw me he immediately stopped. This noise was new to him (we don't have kids) which was why he was barking.

We bought some black plastic to put along the fence to block his view into the neighbour's yard but it's 50/50% whether it will work because whilst he won't be able to see the cat he can hear the soccer ball being kicked around and bouncing off the wall.

I'm working on training my pup to accept the eg noise by going outside when the ball is being kicked around, diverting his attention to sit, come and play with him to show him all is fine, I'm not concerned about the noise and neither should he. Only downside to this is I have to be present when the noise occurs.