Possible Hot Spot?... Worst Place....

Hi,

This is going to be gross, if you are eating brekky, avert your eyes!

Ok, where to start. We came home from getting some shopping the other day, when we left all was fine but when we got home 3 hours later, my gf noticed Loki's (amstaff) bum was bleeding. Ok.. Blood, coming from places blood doesnt normally come from, vet time. I had a quick look and wiped it away with warm water only to find that it wasnt coming from inside of him, but around the anus its self. It was asif he scooted his bum on the concrete and buffed all of the skin away from the outside of his hole. (this is a theory, dont acctually know what he did to it, he has never scooted before and dogs are always wormed)

This was several days ago and i decided to just monitor it. Since it has happened i have not seen him lick it that much (he does lick it though) and he has developed a big scab around the right hand side of the anus, and lost all of his fur for about an inch or 2 above his anus on the underside of his tail. It looks almost like a hotspot right on his bumhole.

Is there any creams i can get for him? Im thinking food maybe, but he has been on eaglepack power formula for close to a month now and been 100% fine, no other issues. He also gets a raw egg a few itmes a week in the morning, and the odd raw bone once a week.

Is there any creams i can get, or anything i can do for this before i take him to the vet? He keeps it clean, but i think it will never heal if he just licks it all the time when im at work.

On last thing, i think its trying to heal, as when he gets up in the morning its got a clear mucusy stuff on it, the sort of stuff you get from a burn that is trying to heal, well its there until he licks it off.

Thanks guys.

Steve

Yes, my suspicion would be some discomfort coming from the anal gland (s), too. And then maybe scouring bottom along trying to relieve it.

Very important to check with vet...because even the rawness at that end alone, is a breeding ground for infection.

(When our tib girl had raw, inflammed skin from hotspots...apart from prescribing antibiotics, the vet also gave some Neotopic Lotion to be applied...contains local anesthetic & anti-inflammatory.)

Do you have white tail spiders in your area? My old fellow, when he was young. according to the vet must have sat on a white tail and he lost all the skin between his anus and his testicles. Boy, that was close :mad

I would be trying some aloe vera gel. Neocort is also very good, it is an anaesthetic/ antiseptic but only from the vet.

Yes, I'm thinking it's anal gland like the rest of the peopel here. My dog had it when he was a puppy. I took him to the vet and he performed internal expression where the index finger is inserted in the rectum, the anal sac located and expressed with the thumb. He showed me what to do, but if it happens again, I still wouldn't know what to do :mad The following links have good information about anal sac. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...4&articleid=510 , http://www.vetstop.com.au/info/AnalSac.htm

Panda, when you said your dog 'had it' do you mean an abscess or just impacted anal glands?

He had Anal Glands (Sacs). Just as well I did a search on the internet before I called the vet. I told him that I thought it was the anal sac. He said if that was the case, then he would only charge me to squeeze it/them out without consultation. It turned out that I was right so I paid only $14 I think. If it wasn't anal sac, it would have cost an extra $55 for him to find out why Panda was scooting.

Panda, when you said your dog 'had it' do you mean an abscess or just impacted anal glands?

He had Anal Glands (Sacs). Just as well I did a search on the internet before I called the vet. I told him that I thought it was the anal sac. He said if that was the case, then he would only charge me to squeeze it/them out without consultation. It turned out that I was right so I paid only $14 I think. If it wasn't anal sac, it would have cost an extra $55 for him to find out why Panda was scooting.

All dogs have anal glands.

Having impacted anal glands is a common problem and not serious. They simply need to be emptied, whereas an abscess of an anal glad is both painful and a more complicated problem.

Yep abscesses definitely need antibiotics and sometimes flushing out...and wolf82 might need to learn how to empty them on a regular basis- can be a one off type of thing, just depends on the dog.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Back from Vet for those that care :clap:

He had an infected butthole. Nothing internal like abscess etc. The vet thinks something has irritated him and he scooted and took the skin off of his anus, and it then got infected thats why he kept licking.

She said his glands were a a bit full so she emptyed those too (the smell is not that fantastic!) and my poor man was violated :rofl:

He got a cortazone shot and some antibiotics too, no creams etc. He said i can use salt water too if i want, but no betadine as its costic for dog skin.

I dont think ill ever be out of debt with these 2 dogs! just as i go to finish paying off the credit card, something else happens!

I always keep two things on hand for abrasions no matter where :rofl: one I got from the vet Neotopic lotion, but if the wound is a bit mucky I have an antispetic powder called Medipulv, get it from the chemist, and it heal/drys the infected area within 48 hours.

Neotopic I use on anything that is not "mucky" looking, eg and out and out cut.

but no betadine as its costic for dog skin.

Huh? Never heard this one. I had a 2 day old puppy and the bitch accidently scratched his back with a claw and he ended up with a staph infection covering nearly his whole back. The vet cleaned it up and gave me Betadine ointment to apply twice a day. Cleared it up a treat.

Mjosa, I also keep Medipulv along with Neocort. Two best things to keep in your doggie first aid kit. (that reminds me, note to self, self, get some more Medipulv)