Ok, What Are Ccd & Udx Classes?

I'm still trying to find a puppy, not having much luck

What breed/sort of pup are you looking for Mrs D??

Decided to go with a Sheltie PF (gotta get away from the big dogs :cry: ) but I cant find a bitch for love nor money :hitself: . Had found a litter that had just been born a couple of weeks ago & blow me down but the breeder decided that shes going to keep the 2 bitches so I either have to change my mind & get a dog or wait. :worship: .

Edited by MrsD

Decided to go with a Sheltie PF (gotta get away from the big dogs :worship: ) but I cant find a bitch for love nor money :hitself: . Had found a litter that had just been born a couple of weeks ago & blow me down but the breeder decided that shes going to keep the 2 bitches so I either have to change my mind & get a dog or wait. :worship: .

Have you asked the Sheltie breeders on DOL?? They may know of someone??

Are you sure you don't want a mini or toy poodle?? :cry:

Have you asked the Sheltie breeders on DOL?? They may know of someone??

Are you sure you don't want a mini or toy poodle?? :laugh:

LOL no to the poodle - although show me a puppy & anything is possible :worship::hitself: .

I only know of 2 breeders on here, 1 has nothing & the other I only found out about today & have told her what Im after :o . The Sheltie club up here knows of none, only boys :eek: . I was absolutely adamant I wasn't having another dog - now Im saying to myself "It wasn't *that* bad having a dog last time, was it?" :worship::cry:

"You're right, there are lots of people who really struggled with Open & didn't go any further. You can teach a dog to retrieve without it having much prey drive - but it's much harder & most people can't do it."

That is true. I hear horror stories and very long time intervals of training. Hence my puppies get tested for retrieve drive. I have to tell you that there are Goldies and Labs out there who can't retrieve. I once asked my Class 4 and 5 whose dogs could retrieve, and got one yes reply. There were GSD's, a Lab, a Goldie a few Mutts, and an only Beagle who could. I had to totally re-design my lesson on the spot. (I was going to talk about hooking retrieve/prey drive into rewards)

Encouragement was a Victoria only thing I think. You would need to check. Coming for the Mainland to the West Island in 95, I am not too sure.

Nah, Mrs D your Sheltie is out there somewhere.

Personally I prefer dogs to bitches but that's just me. :eek:

Well I've got another 2 breeder responses tonight - 1 no & 1 saying that she has a litter due any day but there are 10 (yes TEN :laugh: ) other people on her waiting list in front of me :cry::worship:.

Im trying to convince myself that I should get a dog, Im about half way there :hitself::worship: . Might have to ask everyone elses opinion as well :o .

"You're right, there are lots of people who really struggled with Open & didn't go any further. You can teach a dog to retrieve without it having much prey drive - but it's much harder & most people can't do it."

That is true. I hear horror stories and very long time intervals of training. Hence my puppies get tested for retrieve drive. I have to tell you that there are Goldies and Labs out there who can't retrieve. I once asked my Class 4 and 5 whose dogs could retrieve, and got one yes reply. There were GSD's, a Lab, a Goldie a few Mutts, and an only Beagle who could. I had to totally re-design my lesson on the spot. (I was going to talk about hooking retrieve/prey drive into rewards)

Encouragement was a Victoria only thing I think. You would need to check. Coming for the Mainland to the West Island in 95, I am not too sure.

The words "brick wall" spring to mind with some dogs in open. :hitself: The worst ones were always the ones who left it until after they got their novice title to even introduce the dog to a dumbell - definitely not a good move :cry::worship:

Edited to fix something

Edited by MrsD

:worship::worship::laugh::eek::cry: Mrs D, I was in a ring Feb 1997, bubbie was due mid March and hung out till end of March :) Coulda got another trial in had I known :D :p :(

I thought most clubs intro'd retrieve as a play exercise even in beginners now as it is soo hard to teach it later :hitself: I was always taught to bring a play article and by the time mine were 12 months, they had old graduated to dumbells :o

• 3 weeks later...

My dog will not play with anything (I have a dog toy shop at home you name it I have it). It has taken me two months to get her to hold the dumb bell - No dinner until you take hold give and she does that in about 1 second. (every seen a dog spit a dump bell). So I am very open to suggestions or do I keep going the way I am. We are about to do our CCD . First time in obedience ring heaven help us.

None of the clubs ere were introing retrieve early but now witht he rule change i think that is being addressed its not just retrieve that is often left to late how many runthroughs ive given and the dog is totally unfioccused when i ask them about their focus trianing they havent heard of it .

I am also going for the first time in the ring doing CCD. I think I will lose bucket loads of points, through doing things I aren't aware of such as giving extra signals.

I am doing CCD because it gives you a title. When I get to Novice I will do the retrieve as my dog finds it very reinforcing.

I am just hoping that with the intro of CCD the judges remain as freindly and helpful as i have found them at encouragement trials. Its been great as a new trialler to have had help and advice to help allay the initial fears, hopefully the fact its now a titled class wont make it too ominous.

On the positive side it means my boy can do ccd now instead of stepping into Novice having passed encouragement when he is still a big goofy baby :)