Desperately Need Advice!

We had friends who had a chi who had fits they bought a cavalier puppy from us and it made a big difference to the little dog,she was on medication aswell and quite aged.I hope you have better luck with a new vet they can be very frustrating at times.

Yeah, seizures can happen in many different conditions but the brain lesion that may have resulted from the condition is what causes the seizure. Unless the neurology professors were wrong (not necessarily being a smartass here, I don't always agree with my lecturers).

Just in case that comment earlier was aimed at me.

I think perhaps thay you have 'misquoted' them..... the term epilepsy actually means seizures for which there is no known cause. Most of us have dogs that suffer from 'idiopathic epilepsy' which basically means there is no pattern to the seizures that have no known cause :laugh:

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for your support! I can get myself pretty head up over things and lose the ability to think clearly! I convince myself the worst is going to happen.

I live in Brisbane, I was in NSW and had a fantastic vet down there (he even opened up at midnight when I had my Chi and she had her first seizure) it has been hard to find one up here even half as good as my vet down south! For those who have epi dogs are they on medication?? My chi was on valium but only to calm her after a seizure (she had triggers so sometimes we could stop the seizures from happening by giving her valium if she was "starting" - her main trigger was the cat believe it or not!) She did not have to have anything everyday.

Thanks again

Great to hear you have found a good vet. As you probably know from your previous experience a good vet makes all the difference.

I administer valium when Monte seizes. He hasn't any real triggers and because he clusters we have to administer the valium in the hope it will stop the seizures before he goes into status.

[

Oh good glad you are both back andon the right track!!

Its a horrible thing to watch and we as humans do get upset and this in turn can upset the dog, my CC had fits on and off for approx 12 months, then he seemed to stop and ( touch wood) has not had one for a year now!!

Sounds a bit strange I know but my vet did some chiroprator work on him and this is what seemed to ease it?????

Good luck with your fellow

Have you had your dog immunised recently? Some dogs may not show signs at the time of vaccination but can start fitting some time later...it is known amongst vets that also practice naturopathy that overvaccination can bring on epilepsy and I have experienced this through my beloved chihuahua, Cleo. She lived to the age of 17 yo and was vaccinated yearly till she was 7 yo. She started fitting at the age of 2 yo and stopped at the age of 7.5 yo. I never would have guessed that her fits were due to yearly shots until I came across some literature stipulating that some dogs do start to have seizures as a direct result of overvaccinating!! I decided to stop her yearly shots and within 6-8 months after the due date she slowly stopped fitting and never had another fit till the end.

This may not be the case with your dog but I would seriously consider a link between seizures and vaccines. Do you vaccinate her yearly?