Satin Balls

Hey all,

Darcy needs to put on some weight and have been told Satin Balls are the way to go, i just did a search for them and am even more confused.

What are they? How much do i feed? How quickly do they gain weight?

Also apart from that does anyone have an handy weight gaining tricks, Darcy has been raised on premium dry foods, like Pro Plan, Science Diet and Eukanuba to name a few and he has not really dont well on any of those. I am about to try him on Nutrience to see if that helps.

He is an extremely active dog and because he has trouble keeping weight on i assume he has a fast metabolism.

Does anyone think he would do better if i feed him too meals a day instead of one?

Mel (SR) if youre reading this, thank you the soaking the kibble with water thing works and he is eating without choking, he still sucks his gut in but not as much. :rofl:

Nat

Im in Pakenham, about 45 minutes south east of the city.

If its that cheap, thats not too bad, as i have Nova here who will eat anything LOL, will try the produce store tomorrow if they have it

Thanks KC

Yep I pay about $27 for 20kg and Beau gets so excited when I walk through the door with a new bag. He knows that it comes in the yellow pack and whines and carries on cos he likes it so much :rofl: If I walk in which anpother type of food if I haven't been able to get it for some reason he couldn't care less! We don't use much of it either, he has about three cups a day (no other food due to his sensitivities) and he weighs about 40kg.

There is also a Greyhound formula that works wonders called Box 1 gold,

It's around $30 for 18-20kgs.I have used this for post whelp bitches....

Give the coprice a go too....

Feed twice daily definately,avoids bloat and in general dogs like the "extra" meal.

Good Luck!

Another excellent way to get weight on, is Puppy formulated dry food..

Edited by Rottywoman

Guest magnum

We have a German Shepherd that is very hard to keep good condition on, we feed Advance with fresh meat this has done wonders for her.

If you keep to the 'working' dog formulas he should do better. Also Royal Canin 4300 or 4800 (working types) if you want to stick with the 'super premium' types.

Otherwise a mix of puppy kibble and adult kibble might be a way to go?

Lamb and chicken pieces are good for putting on weight. The satin balls are great and can put weight on a dog within a few days...not sure if that's what you are after tho?

ETA - When i was trying BARF i couldn't feed enough to keep weight on my dog :D i had to feed huge amounts just to keep him from looking starved :( Which was a shame - but it's all good as i have other choices :)

Edited by KitKat

pakenham town and country does not sell coprice last time I checked. Windmill on bald hill road does though, I use it for my whippet he loves it and I have found it to be the only dry food brand that keeps any weight on him so that he looks athletic but not skinny.

I fed 2 of mine Satin Balls and Lamb Flaps when I wanted to put weight on them

Here is the recipe for Stain Balls I used.

500g ground beef (one with plenty of fat in it)

250g pkg cream cheese

1 jar all natural peanut butter

1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ

1 doz egg yolks

1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.