Triggers/drive Initialisation

so good I said it twice!

I thank you and understand.

I still remember teaching blind retrieves, and when the youngsters were focused in the correct direction, I would voice cue YES. Worked very well, until I yelled YES on the telephone one night. They dogs were in the house, as per usual LOL, and came into the room with great expectations. I changed my trigger/cue word very quickly.

My husband already knew I do not say YES very often. :confused:

The dogs learn to read us very well indeed, otherwise they/we would have no rest in achieving their own satisfaction!!! My severely damaged couch may "think" otherwise LOL.

Hi

Love reading this stuff:)

Do dogs have different stages of drive initialisation? When I walk out to training area the dogs are guessing (or perhaps they know cos they can smell it)I have something that is going put them into drive as I hide the article and they are bouncing around, then I stand in a certain way with article still hidden and then I give the cue "go" and then present the article nearly simultaneously. When I stand they usually freeze/offer a sit waiting for the cue/hoping for drive satisfaction (I'm guessing). Is the bouncing around one stage of drive initialisation and the freeeze another or are they the same thing but because I doing different things ie walking then standing all part of drive intialisation? or could the freeze be the dog going into drive?

Hope this makes sense.

cheers

M-J

My husband already knew I do not say YES very often. :eek:

LL - :D

Erny,

When the youngsters ran into the kitchen, I was distracted on the telephone, but as their body language was so "work like" -and "their heads spinning trying to find out where, where, where should we go", it was too funny to ignore.

LOL, they say vocal cues are the last part of an exericse/concept a dog learns. That night, I thought to myself - gosh they are getting the message.

My husband does hear YES, sometimes. I think!!!!!!! Maybe its more of a yeah, yeah, yeah? Certainly not a hey hey hey!!!, which BTW is used initially by a human thrower who gains the pupppies attention before throwing a bumper in the field etc.

oops,edited, I forgot to add, when a training session is completed or interrupted, while other dogs have their turns, a vocal cue and hand cue is given, - all gone.

Edited by Lablover

MJ:

Do dogs have different stages of drive initialisation? When I walk out to training area the dogs are guessing (or perhaps they know cos they can smell it)I have something that is going put them into drive as I hide the article and they are bouncing around,

K9: lower end of drive peak by the sounds...

then I stand in a certain way with article still hidden and then I give the cue "go" and then present the article nearly simultaneously.

K9: this is re directing the drive by re triggereing & the dogs need to go into init again to complete the excercise...

When I stand they usually freeze/offer a sit waiting for the cue/hoping for drive satisfaction (I'm guessing).

K9: yes, the dogs are in drive init thinking this freeze, sit focus will bring satisfaction...

Is the bouncing around one stage of drive initialisation

K9: lets call it raw drive, hard to say without seeing them.

and the freeeze another or are they the same thing but because I doing different things ie walking then standing all part of drive intialisation? or could the freeze be the dog going into drive?

K9: freezing is the dog thinking hard...

Hi

Thank you for your replies again. They have helped thin the fog as I have only ever seen the end results of dogs working in drive, never seen the process of building it. I'm one of those people that has to see, do and make lots of mistakes before I get it ;)

I have jad a couple of attempts to reply to this, he joys of children on school holidays and husbands that love ebay

LL

Your dog is trying to motivate YOU going into drive.

Ohh so Rajah is saying c'mon mum let's play dodge the dog, I'm ready :D

then I stand in a certain way with article still hidden and then I give the cue "go" and then present the article nearly simultaneously.

K9: this is re directing the drive by re triggereing & the dogs need to go into init again to complete the excercise...

So does this mean if they offer a sit/ask for drive satisfaction I should build drive ask for a behaviour (gradually increasing duration and amount of behaviours asked for) then give drive satisfaction otherwise they won't increase their drive?..... not, build drive, ask for behaviour, build drive, ask for behaviour, build drive, ask for behaviour, give drive satisfaction, or does this depend on the stage of drive building training the dog is at?

freezing is the dog thinking hard...

It's a good thing one of us is :eek:

cheers

M-J

MJ:

So does this mean if they offer a sit/ask for drive satisfaction I should build drive ask for a behaviour (gradually increasing duration and amount of behaviours asked for) then give drive satisfaction otherwise they won't increase their drive?.....

K9: I like to build drive peak before asking for any response, so I have a boot full of drive to start with then start building focus, I found when I teach lower drive dog how to get the toy (prey drive satis) then increase drive, the dog becomes frustrated as it has already offered behaviour...

Its something that you need to see rather than me tell you as such....

Its something that you need to see rather than me tell you as such....

Yes, that's the frustrating part I'm not really sure what I'm looking for and it is hard to describe looks/actions.

Maybe you should put out a doggie body language video, I believe that is something the people who do the rounds of the schools to talk on dogs should show. I read an article on dog body language in a school mag that was excellent for kids, one of the things it mentioned that dogs with an upright stiffly wagging tail isn't always saying "hi" Sorry gone way OT here. :rofl:

LL

I haven't worked out the quote thingy yet either, thought I had :laugh:

Thanks

cheers

M-J