Triggers/drive Initialisation

Rather than muddy the waters, and add to an existing thread, it has been suggested, I start another topic on triggers and drive initialisation.

Is anticipation relevant as well?

From a personal aspect my dogs know it is training time, when I place a whistle around my neck. Confirmation is given when I also place a white long sleeved top on (so the dogs can see me from a distance with if trees are behind me).

So, off we go, on the subject of triggers.......................concentrating, I suppose???, when we finally arrive at training or at a trial.

I go out to the field as soon as i drop the training bag and say we're working Connor switches on and wants to work as soon as i pack up and say we're finshed hes off doind hi own thing but will still respond to the obvious come no pulling etc so hes off duty for trial work but still must behave but there is certainly a trigger he knows when i say we're working it means lots of oppurtunity to get rewards he becomes intense and keen

yb

In my case its me saying (in Polish) are we going for a walk?

If I dont say it, the dog triggers on me putting sports shoes on (several pairs, never gets confused with anything Id wear for work - amazing)

ecollar remote and of course the ball.

When out and about he is free to do whatever he wants if he is far I whistle to get attention, wave the ball and he is in that shaking mood immiediatelly.

God forbids I say - OK are you ready? :)

While I was training this evening, I thought about this thread. Naughty really, as normally I am so focused on the dogs training.

I just knew, I was going to present "triggers" incorrectly and by the responses I think I did (cringe). Sorry.

I should imagine we should be concentrating on how we initiate, continue and reinstigate drive, using various triggers, at training.

It is about time for another drive thread :rolleyes:

Triggers for walks/training are: Leads (of course!), bait bag, keys, sometimes I think just body language? as Zoe will sometimes start barking in anticipation before I get anything. And location for training.

If I get Zoe to sit near something she could jump, she is instantly ready and waiting for the command to jump it, so not sure how to phrase that :)

At 19 weeks Tango's triggers are (so far):

walk - lead in my hand

obedience - check chain in hand but not on neck until outside in the yard

show training - check chain on neck

release - "OK", plastic purple dumbell appears

Strongest drive is for the plastic, purple, awful, squeaky dumbbell that drives me insane, food? yeah, right.... Only dog I've ever had to train to be interested in food as a trigger :)

Beau trigger to know it is business time(ie. must stay near me and behave) is his head collar going on. I can walk him with the lead clipped to flat collar or even with no lead at all and just wearing head collar but he will still stay next to me as long as the head collar is on. He knows it means work time. Without the head collar he will still return to me when called but he knows he is allowed to run around and be 'off leash'

When we took hi herding I took the lead off but left the head collar on initially but Beau found this very confusing as he wasn't sure whether to leave my side, in the end we had to remove it.

Hey Lablover, I'm out of the cupboard again......

With our sardogs, when the bell-harness (for area/wilderness search) goes on or the bell-collar (disaster/usar) goes on, this is an immediate trigger to our dogs that they are WORKING....they are keen but still remain calm.

A couple of weekends ago we participated in an open day held at the Southern Peninsula Rescue Squad training centre at Sorrento, Victoria. We are a part of their training team with the dogs being transported in the helicopter, winching etc and we gave 2 demonstrations during the day.

We are all volunteers and fundraising is necessary to keep us in existence.

The dogs all wore their harnesses without the bells and we conversed with all spectators during the day. The dogs (the operational ones) were quite anxious as they are keen to go in the helicopter and also their harnesses on (without the bells)- they thought they were heading to some exciting search area.

Their trigger is their harness & bells and also that day it was the helicopter - they love it! :laugh:

Hi! I'm slightly on, slightly off topic here.

It seems that whenever I am taking Jyra's food outside to the grass for her to eat, she is so excited about the prospect of eating that she bolts super fast out to the grass, and THEN she sees a bird!! and keeps on going! This happens nearly every day! And then she spends a while running around the garden in prey drive before she's interested in coming to get her food!

So it's like her food is almost a trigger for going into drive!! Maybe she switches from food drive into prey drive or something!

Poor birds, they have unwisely build a nest in a tree in our yard, and the nest is only about 2 metres from the ground, so it ellicits a lot of interest from Jyra. Feel sorry for the babies when they are learning to fly! I guess they'll want to learn quick!!

LL:

Rather than muddy the waters, and add to an existing thread, it has been suggested, I start another topic on triggers and drive initialisation.

Is anticipation relevant as well?

K9: Anticipation comes if the dog thinks it saw something that could be a trigger...

EG: You get up quickly & walk to the door, its not a trigger for anything but if the dog has enough drive it may hope in "anticipation" that it will lead to a trigger...

LL:

From a personal aspect my dogs know it is training time, when I place a whistle around my neck. Confirmation is given when I also place a white long sleeved top on (so the dogs can see me from a distance with if trees are behind me).

YB:

I go out to the field as soon as i drop the training bag and say we're working Connor switches on and wants to work as soon as i pack up and say we're finshed hes off doind hi own thing but will still respond to the obvious come no pulling etc so hes off duty for trial work but still must behave but there is certainly a trigger he knows when i say we're working it means lots of oppurtunity to get rewards he becomes intense and keen

K:

Triggers for walks/training are: Leads (of course!), bait bag, keys, sometimes I think just body language? as Zoe will sometimes start barking in anticipation before I get anything. And location for training.

A:

walk - lead in my hand

obedience - check chain in hand but not on neck until outside in the yard

show training - check chain on neck

K9: These are all good examples of triggers, a trigger is a stimuli that activates a sub conscious response..

I personally start drive training with making sure the dog identifies the trigger to something I can control.

I try & avoid the dog trying to discover common components like training bags etc, equipment etc but turn the dog on by voice command.

Some training lessons are spent just making sure the dog turns on by voice command.

I use the tone of my voice to switch the dogs off & on, if I say my male dogs name with low volume & some excitement, he often gives a howl (going into peak) & then goes into high focus (drive init) to see what I want him to do..

If I speak in another tone he comes to me for pack drive satisfaction...

K:

Beau trigger to know it is business time(ie. must stay near me and behave) is his head collar going on. I can walk him with the lead clipped to flat collar or even with no lead at all and just wearing head collar but he will still stay next to me as long as the head collar is on. He knows it means work time. Without the head collar he will still return to me when called but he knows he is allowed to run around and be 'off leash'

K9: this may not be a trigger to a positive drive though, it maybe triggering avoidance & the dog just keeps himself out of drive, I see that often with halters...

PJ:

So it's like her food is almost a trigger for going into drive!! Maybe she switches from food drive into prey drive or something!

K9: most likely, & this is what is known as a dog with Raw drive, not enough focus..

Edited by K9 Force

I try & avoid the dog trying to discover common components like training bags etc, equipment etc but turn the dog on by voice command.

Some training lessons are spent just making sure the dog turns on by voice command.

Oh please give us more. :laugh:

K9: when the training in drive begins, I add a word & teach the dog that each ytime the dog hears that word said that way the dog will get prey drive satisfaction.

If the dog kicks into prey without hearing that command I make sure no satisfaction comes from his or her actions...

LL:

I should imagine we should be concentrating on how we initiate, continue and reinstigate drive, using various triggers, at training.

Are we doing to discuss this later? :laugh:

Possibly too difficult to do so, as many of us have different requirements from our dogs? Not to mention different exercises and drills??? Distance and length of (time) focus probably too. I am already getting a headache!!!!!

When i tell connor we're working he gets excited and intense after i did the prey drive building K9 suggested i started adding we're working as a key to the work we were doing so now he knows we're working means focus attention and that darn toy will appear lol. we have had a huge break from training due to his eyes but in the next few weeks we should be able to get back to it to begin i think i will concentrate on what k9 said

K9: when the training in drive begins, I add a word & teach the dog that each ytime the dog hears that word said that way the dog will get prey drive satisfaction.

If the dog kicks into prey without hearing that command I make sure no satisfaction comes from his or her actions... as i want a really solid on and off switch for him

yb

K9: In the past I have trained dogs that we needed to have a firm on & off trigger, they cant just find their own triggers & go a biting...

But from a training perspective, if I used say a bag for eg, & the dog see;s that bag many times, it becomes a weak trigger, as drive satisfaction hasnt come every time...

But with my vocal command, I only use it when I will be sure I can give prey drive sat.

I also then can be sure that if the dog kicks into drive another time, I can make sure he no prey & he will understand the command is the only thing he can rely on...

K9: whats easier is to suggest what sprot or work & than its easier o give a real world answer to how it can be done...

K9, bearing in mind my limited intelligence - I am sure because I focus on the dogs too much LOL, could you translate your comment?

K9: lol, ok if you said "how would I make sure Stamp turns on via voice command rather than seeing the whistle etc..."

I would say ok, wear the whistle all the time, except in training, so that the whistle will end up being of no value.

I would also say hide your toy when you walk out to see him, say your word/s then produce the toy & build some drive.

Knowing your dog, he will kep on the word in one or two session.

Why is it important? I feel its important to "own" the trigger.

It removes the dog feeling the trigger only works sometimes, as can happen when your moving around equipment etc.

It gives you total respect, one word from you means drive satisfaction will come, everytime...

It gives you the chance to use the word IN training to restimulate your dog when you may not be able to show the dog a toy...