Kangaroo Meat

booboo

Guest cloverfdch

I have only fed Roo meat once, the dogs enjoyed it at the time but poor Elvis get quite ill the next day it went right through him. I am not too keen to try again :eek:.

Have never fed roo to my dogs, to lean for my liking especially in summer time when dogs need fat in their diet for energy. I fed rabbit to my dogs for a few months never again to high in protein and no fat the dogs became very lethargic in the heat.

Bought macromeats roo meat (human grade mince) the other week.

Other than the freshest bits (which I made into patties with loads of rosemary, oregano, thyme, wostershire and soy sauce), I found the smell too strong. But I froze it into portions, and gave it to the dog intermittently, and she loved it!!

How did I know? Her little nose twitches at the cup (held above head height) to check out what she's getting, and she does 'wheelies' when it's really yummy :eek::)

Both mine have it, but usually they have a roo/lamb, roo/chicken or roo/beef mix. They don't like plain roo mince that much, but quite like the tails. Never had any problems with upset tummies, but we did introduce it slowly to their diets.

My dog absolutely loves it. I buy Dr Billinghurst BARF Patties though, it's not straight roo meat. He loves the roo and beef and I usually give him his white meat in the form of chicken necks/carcass because he really hates chicken mince. We've fed him the pork ones before but he wasn't thrilled with them (he ate them, but personally I find the white meat mince to smell putrid and I'm ok with the red meat).

If you buy the pet roo meat from the supermartket(or any pet meat for that matter) be careful. They have recently discovered a link between the preservative 222(I think) used in this meat and stroke in animals that are fed it as a primary source of nutrition. My cat has recently had two strokes which she has luckily recovered from, our vet feels that the pet meat is the culprit

Our girl gets a roo tail for breakfast pretty much every morning. It is definitely her favorite food, and goes wild for it!

She gets chicken wings/lamp flaps/beef offcuts/barf patties plus veggies, fish oil, eggs, yoghurt and vitamins for dinner... I think she eats better than we do!

Kangeroo meat is general free from worms. The only parts of the roo used for both human and pet consumption is the haunch and flap. They are inspected and Quality assurance is the same for Human Consumption as Pet meats. Although the meat is rich and gamey it is high in protien and low in fat.. Roo is also the only meat on the market that can be guaranteed to be naturally feed, free from gm,growth addatives,antibiotics.

It can also be supplied preserative free. The is growing speculation that alot of skin based problems and thiamine deficencies are caused by preservatives 220 to 224.

Which are commomly used in pet consumption meats.

It may not be everyboby preferance but there is good quality clean roo avaliable.

Yes my dog eats raw roo meat and the cats eat it too, although not as enthusiastically about Homer.

I would not worry too much about the worms bit if my dog/cat is wormed regularly but yes it could be an issue I guess. I usually buy the Ecopet roo mince from the pet shops so hopefully Ecopet has taken care of the worms aspect? It costs about $4.50 a kilo.

The smell is not too appetising but the meat is lean and most of the dogs I know eat it readily although some dogs obviously might not like it. The poo can be a bit scary though if they are fed too much of it :happydance2: