Can Anyone Help With Ideas

Hi all

I am becoming quite worried about my 3 year old Staffy Kirra.

She has always been a very friendly dog and not really fearful of any particular things

Our house was broken into for the fourth time 3 months ago (the only time the dogs were actually where the intruders were and they were terrified) and since then she has become increasingly fearful.

It started with her being afraid (barking at and acting quite agressively) towards anyone with sunglasses or a hooded shirt on. The she started being afraid of almost anything that was 'different' whether that would be the way someone looks, what they are wearing, that they come into the house through a different door etc etc.

It seems to be getting worse and worse though. For example, last night my husband was in the backyard and Kirra was inside, he walked around to the front door but didnt come through it yet. She must have heard him and she freaked out. She was barking and growling and wouldnt stop until he came through the door and she realised who it was. She just did the same thing to one of our friends she has known for years.

Im am getting really worried that this will end up escalating to her biting someone through this fear

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get her through this? I obviously only want to do things in a positive way but anything I think of I think it will reinforce her for the behaviour she is showing. Im lost!

Thanks

Jen

I'm sorry I can't help with your question Jen- I am only learning myself :p

I would suggest cross posting to the general discussion forum though, because a great many people rarely venture in here, and the other forum gets more traffic. I'm sure you'll attract some good advice in both places, but it will take a while longer waiting here :rofl:

all the best,

cactus

Poor thing sounds like she had a bit of a scare when your house was broken into :p

I figure you don't need my recommendation on using bach flower remedies :rofl:

What I'd suggest is go through a program of desensitisation and counter-conditioning. Start her at a distance from someone wearing the clothing you describe (at a point where she is aware, but not reactive) and reward her, play with her, do some training, feeding etc. Gradually, as she becomes more confident, relaxed and is not reactive, take small steps closer. You would do this in more than one session, so don't try to move too fast.

You might even start wearing glasses, hoods etc around the house if she is not too reactive. EG if you start putting on a pair of sunnies right before giving her dinner she will come to see them as a good thing because you wearing the sunglasses predicts the fact that she is about to get fed.

As to her barking at people in your backyard, are you sure that is something you actually want to stop?

Have you also tried having the person outside call to her in their friendly voice so she knows who they are? Then have them give her a treat? She now thinks that people outside are going to break in. If she hears who they are she will learn to relax as not everyone is a bad person. Maybe have a sign at the front gate "Please call out a nice hello so the dog knows you're coming" or something.

Yes desensitise on the hoodies and sunnies. Let her watch you put them on and then walk around the house with one or the other, then both together. What freaks her out is the fact that someone has come into her yard but she cant recognise their face so everyone is a prime suspect and could be breaking in again. If she had seen their faces you would find she had an aversion to certain types of facial hair/skin color etc.

I would start installing some sensor lights around the perimeter of the house. We got this nifty round one (Arlec Oyster Style DIY Security Light) from Bunnings that clips onto an existing light and no screws needed $33 This will also alert neighbours that someone is wandering round in your yard. Conversely run a length of shock tape just under the top of your fences on the yard side where it cant be seen and set the power on high. When someone grabs it BAM theyll be screaming so loud someone will call the cops. I'm just mean I guess. :p

Conversely run a length of shock tape just under the top of your fences on the yard side where it cant be seen and set the power on high. When someone grabs it BAM theyll be screaming so loud someone will call the cops. I'm just mean I guess. :rofl:

:p Trouble with that is that the "would be" robbers will then turn around and sue you for 'booby trapping' ....

Ditto what Haven and Nekhbet have said, but also be sure that you are leader (in your dog's mind) - she needs one now more than ever. This way, while you're going through the desensitisation process, your dog's progress should be quicker as she'll know that, whilst she might not like the situation, she can trust in your capability to handle the situation and defer to your choices.

Good luck - I hope Kirra gets over her scare quickly.

Karma should see the intruders having a rotten Christmas.

Edited by Erny

Trouble with that is that the "would be" robbers will then turn around and sue you for 'booby trapping' ....

Hey they dog tries to jump the fence ... not your fault its the only way to contain her ... :):)

Nice try, but I'm not so sure that reason (or excuse) would cut it in a Court of Law .... :)

Hi everyone

Thanks for your great ideas!

What I'd suggest is go through a program of desensitisation and counter-conditioning. Start her at a distance from someone wearing the clothing you describe (at a point where she is aware, but not reactive) and reward her, play with her, do some training, feeding etc. Gradually, as she becomes more confident, relaxed and is not reactive, take small steps closer. You would do this in more than one session, so don't try to move too fast.

You might even start wearing glasses, hoods etc around the house if she is not too reactive. EG if you start putting on a pair of sunnies right before giving her dinner she will come to see them as a good thing because you wearing the sunglasses predicts the fact that she is about to get fed.

Thanks for that Haven - I will definately try all that :)

I figure you don't need my recommendation on using bach flower remedies 

:) I made one up for her the other day for fear and to give her more confidence. Im going to give it to her 4 times a day for a few weeks and hopefully this will help her too.

Have you also tried having the person outside call to her in their friendly voice so she knows who they are? Then have them give her a treat? She now thinks that people outside are going to break in. If she hears who they are she will learn to relax as not everyone is a bad person. Maybe have a sign at the front gate "Please call out a nice hello so the dog knows you're coming" or something.

Antoher good idea! (You guys are full of them! :) ) I will get everyone to do that. I notice that when she goes off at say my brother (who she adores) when he actually walks in the door and she sees who it is, she continues to bark at him for a couple of seconds, but you can see it dawning on her that this is one of the nice people. So if he called out first, Im sure that would help.

I'll let you know how she goes!

Jen

As to her barking at people in your backyard, are you sure that is something you actually want to stop?

Forgot to reply to this bit :)

I guess the only thing Im worried about here is that she still seems terrified and she will do this even to someone who has been in the house 15 minutes before

I dont want people to be afraid of her and she never used to be like this. (Even when we have had people in our front yard at our old house our other dog Bomber would always be the one to let us know - and Kirra would sleep through the whole thing!)

Jen

Forgot to reply to this bit :)

I guess the only thing Im worried about here is that she still seems terrified and she will do this even to someone who has been in the house 15 minutes before

I dont want people to be afraid of her and she never used to be like this. (Even when we have had people in our front yard at our old house our other dog Bomber would always be the one to let us know - and Kirra would sleep through the whole thing!)

Jen

The reason I ask is because you can use counter conditioning to get her to look forward to having people come into the yard, eg you might have people thorw food over the fence and come into the yard and offer her food etc.

It isn't something I would do personally, because I don't want my dogs to be happy to allow strangers into the yard or eat food thrown over the fence etc.

I would just go with having your friends call out to her. My dogs bark when people come to the house for various reasons and I have encouraged it because it suits my lifestyle and what I want from my dogs. When someone comes over they don't come into the house until they have been greeted OUTSIDE the door by my dogs, after which they are fine. You might find that greeting people at the door helps your girl also.

You know, interestingly enough, I noticed yesterday that she doesnt seem to be concerned with people coming into the backyard when shes in there herself (like yesterday my Dad came in through the roller door and she didnt bat an eyelid.

Its only a problem when shes inside and they are outside.

I am wondering - our screen doors at the front and back are extremely dark wire - you can hardly see thorough them. Im wondering whether this is having a negative effect (as in she cant actually see the people, just hear noises and see a shadow so she has no idea who it is?)

Jen

Edited to add: I have noticed she is much worse at nighttime than in the day too which is why I thought of the dark screen doors

Edited by Jenny Wareham

They didn't hurt her when they broke in, did they?

I dont think so Rozzie, but I cant be sure they didnt give her a kick or anything :)

She was just so petrified when we got home that day. She was hiding behind the lounge and was shaking for hours (Im sure it didnt help that my husband was going ballistic about being broken into again - she has never been able to cope with anyone yelling in an angry voice)

I dont know (now that Im writing this) whether that may have even been part of it. She hates when Corey yells (even though its never at her) and has always gotten really upset about it. So, maybe this happened in her mind too - people came into the house and were scary, then Dad comes home and goes ballistic (even more scary), so, maybe - people coming into the house may = Dad being scary.

What do you think, is that stupid??

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you so much on this one guys :laugh:

Kirra is doing heaps better. I have been giving her the Bach Flower Remedy I made up and have been getting people to wear sunnies etc around her. I have also been getting people to call out to her before they get to the door too

She is doing really well now - she has only barked at one person this week (and not even the terrified barking and growling like before - just a bit of a rush and bark but then settled)

I was extra proud of her on the weekend - she is also absolutely petrified of children which has become much worse during these episodes, and although no children were coming around, my brother's new girlfriend is a dwarf so I thought that could cause a problem for her just by the fact that she is the same size as a child - but she was absolutely perfect :rofl:

Jen

I think fearful dogs bark more when they are confined or restrained because they feel trapped & therefore more threatened. My boy is fearful & barks at strangers that he sees outside our house too, but if he is running free outside he tends not to bark at them. I guess he can approach them as he feels comfortable.

He also reacts to hats & glasses - maybe because it is harder to recognise who is underneath them. But Iv'e noticed that dogs don't easily recognise people visually so speaking is a good way to communicate friendliness to them. My boy barks at children more than adults and men more than women. I guess it's all about perceived threat.

I have heard that it is a good idea to alllow a dog to bark a couple of times then distract the dog & reward them for being quiet, Erny/Haven would you agree with this? I don't mind my dog barking a warning but what frustrates me is sometimes he won't stop & it is very embarassing & can be disturbing for the visitor. Especially as he tends to bark more at nervous type people. :rolleyes: